• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

Bump...

Been working on a way to perform my entire band sound live as a solo performer; a modern take on the one-man-band concept.

After a week of trial and error I've finally got a solution. It integrates Ableton Live and an FCB1010. There's a decent amount underlying the set up, but I can do it.

Anyone else ever tried this? Would love to know about various solutions.

The closest I've come is to use a looper and layer parts I play live to build accompanyment. I don't care much for the idea of playing along with prerecorded parts these days, thought have done it in the distant past. It's nowhere near as involving as playing with a band.

The closest I've come is to use a looper and layer parts I play live to build accompanyment. I don't care much for the idea of playing along with prerecorded parts these days, thought have done it in the distant past. It's nowhere near as involving as playing with a band.

Well playing in a band means dealing with band members. :laughing. I've done that enough to know what a pain in the ass it can be.

The set up is a little more involved than a looper, but the basic premise is the same. The concept is a combination of live loops and pre-recorded material. All the pre-recorded material is still me playing (or having programmed the drums). Honestly, I'd rather deal with my own parts and trigger the parts than deal with band members.

Last edited:
Hey, my brother in law has a 12x17 studio for rent at his recording studio, if anyone knows a band looking for a permanent space. $695 a month and has recording capabilities or can be used for teaching. PM me if you know anyone who might be interested. Thanks. :)

For the first time in ~6 years I played live. Took the new set up to Meenar in Danville and played the open mic. It was fun. It's been a long time......

:bump 6 month bumpage.

Bought myself an early Xmas gift. w00t!

musicman-stingray-classic-collection-maple-birdseye_MLA-F-4771600176_082013.jpg

Anyone catching AXS tv? Guitar Center Sessions, concerts, it's pretty cool. The concert for Ronnie Montrose was awesome, Tom Petty concert was great, Megadeth and Joe Bonamassa on GC Sessions were both really good.

Got me picking up my guitar again....

Just pulled the trigger on a SERIOUS upgrade to my home recording set up. I wanted to upgrade the input signal chain and improve my mix capabilities.

Input upgrade:
API The Channel Strip (combo of a 512c preamp, 527 compressor, 550A EQ and 325 line driver)

Mix upgrade:
UAD2 Quad Custom PCI - Comes with emulations for LA-2A, 1176, Pultec EQP-1A and a few others (basically a lot of the outboard gear I'd sell my kidney to own, but my kidney isn't worth enough). I get to add three more emulations. I think I'm going with the EMT250 reverb, the full Pultec EQ suite and the ATR-102 mastering tape. I might substitute something for the Pultec stuff since the EQP-1A is what I really wanted.

Now comes the waiting....

:bump 6 month bumpage.

Bought myself an early Xmas gift. w00t!

musicman-stingray-classic-collection-maple-birdseye_MLA-F-4771600176_082013.jpg

ive had my musicman stingray for almost 20 years now. it has survived 3 US tours and 1 world tour and its still thumping. best bass ive ever owned and ill never ever sell it.

also rosewood > maple fretboard :twofinger

Here's some of my current stuff....

Gibson SG Standard

SGStandard_zpsb2e40135.jpg

Custom build: Charvel Neck, Mahogany body, SD JB, Floyd...

IMG_0064.jpg

'86 Charvel with a Floyd....

Model2004.jpg

'89 Les Paul Studio Lite w/ a factory floyd...

LPs003.jpg

My amp is a custom built, handwired, all tube 35w Soldano circuit I dubbed "Nailbomb"

nailbomb001.jpg

Guitar show at Marin Civic Center, San Rafael 1/11 and 1/12, This weekend. Always fun to go check out the stuff....and maybe buy.

Back