• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

Hopefully not speaking out of turn here, but a few folks posted their stuff early in the thread and those links are dead now. I’d sure like to hear what y’all are working on past/present. Covers, original work, whatever.:)

Anthony, I'm curious, where are you gigging that you still feel you need an 8X10 cab? Or was I misunderstanding you? Are you stating that you used to use that but aren't necessarily looking for the same thing now? If that's the case, I get it. Lugging around an 8X10 must have been an absolute pain in the ass.

Correct. And if you want to play venues like The Phoenix, Goldfinger, and random auditoriums you'd be surprised how much that 8x10 came in handy. I've got photos of it somewhere. With her custom road cover she weighed in at 200lbs lol

Hopefully not speaking out of turn here, but a few folks posted their stuff early in the thread and those links are dead now. I’d sure like to hear what y’all are working on past/present. Covers, original work, whatever.:)

Olddddd Screamo stuff: https://youtu.be/2PhTF9cLKpY
I did some R&B albums in Fairfield and Sacramento I can look for.

New studio tracks aren't mixed yet but I'll post some when I'm happy with it ;)

Correct. And if you want to play venues like The Phoenix, Goldfinger, and random auditoriums you'd be surprised how much that 8x10 came in handy. I've got photos of it somewhere. With her custom road cover she weighed in at 200lbs lol

Fugggg...hope you've got a roadie! :laughing

PS: He could cut out half the effort if he employed alternate picking. :teeth

Shut up, John Petrucci! :twofinger

:laughing

OTOH, check out Tosin Abasi (if you haven’t already) for inspiration on modern finger style guitar. Then that 8 string you want will appear in the Post a Pic of Your Latest Purchase thread.

I heavily dislike the use of picks for pretty much everything. My only exception is when the low B-string is played rapidly in metal/djent as it simply sounds cleaner with a pick and heavy compression. Even then you really have to pick through the note to get that strong neat tone.

After I decide what to do with my new rig setup, imma buy one more bass to complete my arsenal. I've got my Stingray 4-string, my custom 6-string, and next will be my Rickenbacker 5-string for that raunchy metallic tone.

Speaking of picks, I’ve been messing with a small assortment of picks since posting my earlier question. Having used the same kind of pick for about 40 years, it hasn’t been a point of interest exactly, but I have gotten tired of how fast the things wear out and the change it makes in the profile of the pick.

I’m kind of zeroing in on Dunlop Flow style picks and have a few different materials and thicknesses. Tonight I was finding a huge difference in tome between a 2.5mm vs 1mm pick. Hadn’t expected the tone to be so different; the 1mm has a noticeably sharper attack and a little more high end as the note rings.

This wasn’t meant to turn into an excuse to be fussy about picks but I really like each of the picks for different things. The thicker pick feels good and is pretty nice for jazz tones, where he thinner pick is better for everything else.

I tried using thick 1mm+ picks but I think there's a big differences on thick gauges, so I stick with 0.60mm and can't complain.

Does your picking style have to change with the 2.5mm?

Oh, btw Jason I found my cab pic ;) It's a custom Basson cabinet w/ Eminence 8x10s that I picked up from Junius.

Note my facial expression as someone must've mentioned they play bass with a pick lol
52VQRp0.jpg

I tried using thick 1mm+ picks but I think there's a big differences on thick gauges, so I stick with 0.60mm and can't complain.

Does your picking style have to change with the 2.5mm?

My picking style is a little unconventional to begin with, as I grip the pick with thumb and first two fingers. The differences in thickness don’t require a change in technique. The thicker pick has a rounded bevel on both sides that converge at the point, so the pick doesn’t have to travel any further to stroke through the string. That bevel does change the angle of the surface that touches the string, which might partly account for the difference in tone.

^^^I love music, there's no right or wrong. Pick/no pick-Tube/modeler-Super polished production vids/rough playthroughs posted by mere hobbyists like me. I love it all.

I spend about an hour every morning on very non-musical exercises. Today I worked this guys sextuplet lesson in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op8QdNeG1Mg
Good stuff imo

Then it was time to lighten up before the yardwork. Straight playthrough, clams and all. So long, Eddie...

https://soundcloud.com/user-717973884/evh-intro-mashup

Tonight I'll work on my stuff

Back