• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

For the guitar players here, a more mundane topic: What kind of pick do you use?

Picks? What are those? :confused

:laughing

fiw1UcT.jpg

I haven't tried some of the competitors that surfaced later but I think the Fractal is still as good as it gets sound-wise. They have become a little more user friendly in terms of connectivity now, which was an area they seemed to fall behind in compared to other solutions.

When I first got mine, I intended to replace a DSP unit in my rack and wasn't necessarily interested in the modelling. I was using a Mesa Tri-Axis and 2:90 at the time and liked the sound. Out of curiosity, I set up some patches on the Fractal using their various Mesa models to see how close I could get to my usual tones. I was amazed to find that the tones (and feel) were indistinguishable. The Tri-Axis came out of the rack.

Saw this and thought you you, Andy... :laughing

#theredbeansucks

[youtube]-EtxHlJ2FPo[/youtube]

For the guitar players here, a more mundane topic: What kind of pick do you use?

Fender mediums. I'm not a pick whore, for sure.

If you want a board, the Line 6 Helix is amazing. My Firehawk is as well but the Helix is a step up. They are theguys who started modeling on a mass commercial basis and that’s pretty much all they do. I think that’s where a lot of hate comes from, the so-called “purists”.
Headrush gets great reviews but then youbare getting close to a Kemper in price, although not a pedal board.

I think what I like most about the pedalboards is the ability to step on a boost in gain when you need a wee bit more chug. Or if you start feeling the need for flange/phase/chorus, you can add it throughout any modeled sound you are already playing.

The big thing for me is that I have no interest in amp/cab modeling whatsoever. Boosting on the Boogie is easy by utilizing the EQ mode. I've already actually mastered that easily just by monkeying around with it a bit. The Helix allows you to run it just like a pedal board and for me, that's the best part.

Yeah, I know. :). It'd be nice if there were a way to do that, but it *is* just a practice amp...

I'm finding that some of the high gain models are responsive enough to go from quite clean to a singing distortion with just volume knob and pickup switching. When I'm practicing stuff that needs big tone changes, I can do it all from the guitar.

After a bit of thought, this might be good for Randall Smith. Leveraging Gibson distr channels might help get USA built mesas into large retail so folks can plug in, hear the goodness, spend the dollars.

Unless the plan is to introduce the usual new line of value conscious Chi-Mesa products. Then meh

I'm betting it's the latter. Randall can't have that much time left in the game at his age. They'll wait until he punches out and that'll be all she wrote for the original boutique amplifier brand.

Remember what happened after Leo Fender sold to CBS? : |

Back