• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

I’ll never be the biggest jazz standards fan in the room(one bum note is a clam, 2 bum notes is jazz), but I’m a huuuuge fan of the complex chords jazz standard folks favor and what they’re doing to spice up my stuff as well as how they help me with improv board navigation.

Anyway, I stumbled upon iReal Pro and have been using it extensively lately and finding it really fun and educational. Just thought I’d throw it out there in case anyone else is working on their improv skills too.

Indeed.

Imo, Breezin’ is a study in “less is more”. I mean, I love listening to the Yngwie Mousemeats of the world conjuring a wall of 64th notes. But sometimes that one tasty note just satisfies.

I’m still trying to play guitar lol like just messing around
Pick this up few weeks ago,traded some bud
It’s a beautiful guitar

Rikter Is the make

Nice es-335 copy.

I’ve heard your hand pan vid, the musicality is there. You just need to figure out how to let it flow through a guitar.:thumbup

So I decided to test my ability to still play 80's-90's speed punk this morning. I don't think I'm going to pick up a guitar for the rest of the weekend. :laughing

If you haven't watched it yet, rent The Pedal Movie. Pretty good doc on the history of pedals and effects and how they've changed the musical world. :thumbup :cool

www.thepedalmovie.com

On that note, I think I'm done tinkering with my board for now. I feel like if I had gone one size larger I would've been able to make it more symmetrical but for now, this works. :teeth

180865623_10222842766711522_4662960890497405023_n.jpg

Back on the subject of phrasing, Rick Beato dissects Guthrie Govan’s playing and calls out some helpful concepts about phrasing:

[YOUTUBE]wK9kWNc_WX8[/YOUTUBE]

^^^Quote of the day:
That’s just ridiculous!

:laughing

Good vid for sure. I think the most important take away(for me) is to:
-punctuate the end of the phrase with a cap, period, exclamation, whatever we want to call it. Maybe not every single phrase, but more than I do now
-make sure that punctuation creatively leads the listener into the next phrase
-let it breathe

This was a killer cover. As a side note, the band's drummer does a more than passing impression of Steve Perry. :thumbup

[youtube]l85vDAJo0ZQ[/youtube]

So you’re using the mxr tap to actuate one of the ms-3 functions?

Yes, sir. It frees up one of the four switches on the MS-3 for another function. So far, I've only programmed four personal patches. However, using them in the manual mode (ie: stomp box mode) is much more realistic for me so the reality is that I basically have 16 individual stomp boxes at my command at any time and I could have so much more. The MS-3 is fucking awesome.

Was contacted by the vocalist of an existing Top40 band last night. He wants to form a new band to explore the music he says he prefers. I whipped out a few quick recordings(Drop Dead Legs, Always With Me Always With You, The Party’s over Hopelessly In Love) and Dropbox’d em over. He liked what he heard so he’s sending a tentative set list to me today and we get together Tuesday to see if we’re a good fit.

We shall see...

Last edited:
Full disclosure: I wander around a bit during the solo, and I’d be lying if I said I have it mastered. So it’s on my list too.:laughing

Good stuff poach. Can't wait to get back to playing music with other people. I've been looking everywhere for a band to join and haven't found much. Playing music with the gf definitely eases the pain, but duo stuff isn't the same as having a host of other sounds to hang onto.

Found a marshall silver jubilee reissue half stack for a really good price yesterday and couldn't pass it up. It sounds amazing.
FleAPWY.jpg

Back