• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

Thanks my dudes. It's been my dream guitar since I was a kid. The reason I bought my slash standard last year was because it reminded me of an r9 with hotter pickups and half the price. I always envisioned having a lemon burst one but I figured that the sunset iced tea burst is one step away from lemon and with the period specific aniline dyes prone to fading and bleeding into the binding, it'll be a lemon burst in a few years.

Just doing some Saturday window shopping. I'm not much of a Gibson player even though I do have a LP because you kind of have to... :laughing

...but I've always had a thing for Firebirds and this one is a thing of beauty...

custom-shop-murphy-lab-firebird-1963-maestro-reissue-hd-177187.png

About a year ago I decided I needed a guitar, after 30 years of saying I was going to get one. 2020 was a big year for me, so I did it. I picked up an Ibanez Gio at the pawn shop for $40.

Then in the fall, I found this at a pawn shop on the way to Ohio. It was a very good price, so I couldn't leave it. My first idea was to string it backwards, and be a reverse Jimi.

192957936_209745170964132_5999604012691747365_n.jpg

Anyway, I'm still horrible, but I may be slowly building up to merely awful.

Congrats on the cool axe and welcome to the Musician(sortakindanotreally) thread.:thumbup

Now there are 5....5 sortakindanotreally musicians.

Cue Sesame Street thunder and The Count...

Geez dude, sell the flatscreen the couch and the cat.

Keep the Slash
I just might. The slash standard is just so damn good for metal. The r9 is at home playing blues dad pentatonic riffs and classic rock. Also, I hate to say it but I prefer the slimmed down 59 neck on the slash over the historically accurate rounded chunky neck of the r9, but I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually. It's one of those "it's hard to play but in a good way" guitars haha

:laughing

I can't even imagine being in a financial situation that allows me to throw $10K at a guitar just because I want it and I can...like that R9. :wow

Shoot, I wish I had 10k to spend on a guitar haha. I bought it second hand and it's just a normal standard r9, so instead of $8k, it was substantially less with only small details changed from the true historic like different type of plastics/knobs and the light, vos style wear on the finish and the metal hardware, while retaining all of the important things like the long neck tenon, hide glue construction, aniline dye (that bleeds into the binding), etc.

Just doing some Saturday window shopping. I'm not much of a Gibson player even though I do have a LP because you kind of have to... :laughing

...but I've always had a thing for Firebirds and this one is a thing of beauty...

custom-shop-murphy-lab-firebird-1963-maestro-reissue-hd-177187.png
I frickin love firebird basses. I've never played a guitar version but that neck through design probably has insane sustain.

Last edited:
Vocalist guy isn’t comfy singing covers in the key they were written. Wants me to play his variax so I can alter tunings at the flip of a switch to fit his needs.

I got nothing better on deck so in the mean time.....ugh:nchantr

In a more positive tangent, this little floppy puppy 24.5” prs might be the best $650 I ever spent. Punches waaaaay over its weight class.

Tuning to Eb and letting er rip is fine, but this guy wants to change tunings several times to fit “his range”

After I’d posed a few honest questions, I found out he’s had trouble getting his previous collaborative band mates to jump through his tuning hoops and that’s when they all eventually became disenamored and kicked his ass out in favor of a vocalist who can actually sing covers in the key they were written.

Yeah, no shit. :laughing

Thoroughly enjoyed this morning improvising over iReal jazz standards. Then over country standards once my brain got tired and just wanted some easy fun.

Little floppy prs continues to impress. Shockingly impressive instrument for the money.

Indonesian SE Zach Myers sig @ $650. I wanted to scope the semi hollow feel/tone before going full Kiesel retard. Signature guitars are usually a poor value imo, but I really like this one. It’s my first 24.5” so this eager to please/easy playing guitar is whole ‘nother animal from my usual go-to instruments. I’ve always kinda likened guitar to motos. My evh and 27” Kiesel 7 are like my (former)race bikes. They’re set up and designed to perform at their best when max aggression is being applied, and ultimately have a higher performance ceiling. While this prs is more like a compliant easy to ride sv. I’ll never be able to go as fast, but it sure is a lot of fun.

In other news I just got home from my second sesh with the wacky key signature guy. There’s really no future in this little experiment, but we actually were able to find a groove decent enough that (in my experience)most mildly inebriated saloon patrons would have enjoyed it lol.

Attachments

• 8414FEE8-81FC-4F82-B602-54B818F8E9E1.jpg
    8414FEE8-81FC-4F82-B602-54B818F8E9E1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 45
Prs guitars always have insane tops, although I'm pretty sure the made in Asia models just have a veneer. I used to have a mccarty double cut knockoff made by Cort in the early 00's with all the prs internals from a junked husk. That was an amazing guitar and I've always wanted a real mccarty ever since.

I put the stock pickups back in my slash standard and it sounds so damn good. Way better sound than the seymour duncans. I don't think i want to sell it now haha.

Having both of my les pauls in the shop at the same time has taught me that I am 100% a les paul player. My strat is so fucking perfect but when it was the only guitar I had to play (other than my acoustic), I just had no motivation to pick it up for hours at a time.

Def veneer. We don’t get fat slabs of 5a flamed maple at this price point. I started thinking “gee, I sure hope it isn’t plywood underneath” then I thought “who cares! I love this thing!!”.:laughing

I guess I’m a little weird re the fav instrument thing. I love em all. I keep an 8, 2 7’s(trem and hard tail), 2 6’s, and a bass within arms reach at all times. I’d keep more out but I just don’t have the space. And I’m constantly rotating through my entire collection based on my needs and/or whims. I love guitars. Period.

Well, except for wacky key sig dudes variax. That thing feels and sounds like ass...

I just accidentally stumbled on to the fact my daw will make excellent recordings right off YT. Derp...

I needed a jazz swing @ 100bpm and didn’t feel like digging out the beatbuddy so I just yt’d it. While I was recording the piece I wanted to record I noticed my daw was recording both.

I haz teh tech ineptz, but my G13 E7add9 transition is crisp af.:teeth

Back