• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

Also, how did it go from shit to gold? The speaker needed a little breaking in or something?

How do you like that looper? Lotta horsepower there. A while back I snagged a Pigtronix Infinity because of its true bypass, virtually unlimited looping time, and amazing sound quality. But that dang thing was just too complicated for my Luddite ass. Wound up returning it so someone with a bigger brain could make use of it. I have a little TC Jam now and it suits me better. It’ll even follow your drummer when his/her tempo starts wandering around.

Just volume control? Any difference between the two inputs?

The 2nd input is - 6db, which is useful because it'll start breaking up at about 12 o'clock with the les paul and about 9 o'clock with the strat, and for a little amp, it's loud as all hell! Having just the volume knob on an amp has taught me a few valuable lessons; you can get amazing sounds by just fiddling with your volume/tone knobs on your guitar. It has forced me me to know and understand how to achieve a good tone with just rolling back the volume a bit or just rolling back the tone knob a little bit. Also, it has shown me how important right hand articulation is, since the sound changes a lot on this amp by just giving it a little more/less forte on the picking hand. A lack of reverb built into the amp does suck but that's what pedals are for

Also, how did it go from shit to gold? The speaker needed a little breaking in or something?

How do you like that looper? Lotta horsepower there. A while back I snagged a Pigtronix Infinity because of its true bypass, virtually unlimited looping time, and amazing sound quality. But that dang thing was just too complicated for my Luddite ass. Wound up returning it so someone with a bigger brain could make use of it. I have a little TC Jam now and it suits me better. It’ll even follow your drummer when his/her tempo starts wandering around.

Yeah, the speaker was super stiff. Straight out of the box, it was really muffled and the mids were just way too over pronounced. I was thinking about sending it back and I was reading about if it had a break in period or something that I just ignored. Most people said that the speaker "blooms" after about 24 hours of play time, and I'm right about there. Everything has mellowed out and that boxy, nasal sound is completely gone. For a 5 watt amp, it is a beast. It still has to warm up for a good 20 minutes before it reaches that sweet spot and it has no bypass switch for the warmup

LOL I think I feel the same way about my electro-harmonix looper. There are so many damn features on it that it has left my head spinning. I know that I just need to dedicate a few days to learning all of the functions of it. I am really only using it for its base function of recording a loop, playing along with it and erasing it when I'm done, but you can store a shit ton of loops, pre set their volumes and you can cycle through them with an external foot switch. It'll be awesome for bar gigs to have a backing track or just the drums on my pedal rather than lugging around a laptop to play that shit through the PA.

The 2nd input is - 6db, which is useful because it'll start breaking up at about 12 o'clock with the les paul and about 9 o'clock with the strat, and for a little amp, it's loud as all hell! Having just the volume knob on an amp has taught me a few valuable lessons; you can get amazing sounds by just fiddling with your volume/tone knobs on your guitar. It has forced me me to know and understand how to achieve a good tone with just rolling back the volume a bit or just rolling back the tone knob a little bit. Also, it has shown me how important right hand articulation is, since the sound changes a lot on this amp by just giving it a little more/less forte on the picking hand. A lack of reverb built into the amp does suck but that's what pedals are for.

Nice! I learned a while ago that low-wattage tube amps will usually sound much louder than their equivalent-rated solid state counterparts. That's largely the reason why I have a 25-watt tube amp. It easily powers through the mix when I want it to yet it still works fine for living room practicing.

I've always liked the look and sound of a classic-style tube Fender but I generally keep passing on them. I think I may need to take another look at this little five-watt unit. :thumbup

Nice! I learned a while ago that low-wattage tube amps will usually sound much louder than their equivalent-rated solid state counterparts. That's largely the reason why I have a 25-watt tube amp. It easily powers through the mix when I want it to yet it still works fine for living room practicing.

I've always liked the look and sound of a classic-style tube Fender but I generally keep passing on them. I think I may need to take another look at this little five-watt unit. :thumbup

They're worth checking out for sure. The blues junior is what I had initially wanted to buy but I just wanted a more capable bedroom amp with really good clean tones on the edge of breaking up. The champ seemed to fit the bill better than the blues jr.

I never really bought into the "tweed" sound because I was always more into chuggy metal, but as my descent into full on blooze dad status continues, I've come to appreciate that classic tone that you've heard a thousand times and didn't realize that it came from a little 5 watt with a nice mic in the studio. There's something to it for sure

My evh 2x12 sounded horrible out of the box and also took some time to break in. Of course, realizing the cab is 16ohm and I had the 5150iii set at 8ohm helped a lot too.:rolleyes

:laughing

Almost forgot, my buddy sat in rhythm acoustic for Eva Scow last Friday. Wow, what a talented young lady. Mando is def not my jam(unless bluegrass because I fucking love bluegrass) and a lot of her runs were a bit predictable, but every so often she just went off on a brilliant tangent that left me wondering wtf just happened.

Check her out.:thumbup

I mean, I get it. Dream Theater wears on me after a while too. I honestly think you can only do so much progressive rock/metal in one sitting.

What do you think about the new Cobain jagstangs?

I have been toying with the idea of trying to find a nice, shreddy guitar lately, like an Ibanez rg, or, I'd love to get another Parker fly, but it makes me nervous that they aren't making guitars anymore so the support is basically zero now

What do you think about the new Cobain jagstangs?

I have been toying with the idea of trying to find a nice, shreddy guitar lately, like an Ibanez rg, or, I'd love to get another Parker fly, but it makes me nervous that they aren't making guitars anymore so the support is basically zero now

I keep looking at that Cobain Jag-Stang and it looks cool, but I suspect I wouldn't like it much more than something to look at and that's not the kind of guitar I should be buying. The scale on the Jaguar and Mustang is shorter (usually) and the feel is just weird for me. Plus the pickups on them tend to be just too bright and twangy for my tastes. The singles on the Jazzmasters just sound better to my ear plus the scale tends to be more on the normal side.

The Vintera Jazzmaster in Lake Placid Blue is my goal...

750-JazzV60IBM_front.jpg.auto.webp

I love the sound of p90 pickups but every guitar I've played with them have been insanely noisy. I've never played a fender with them tho

Back