• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Photos of your bike on location

At the intersection of Eagleson (behind the bike), Robie Creek (to the left), and Clear Creek (to the right) Roads way back up in the hills. We have autumn leaves up here.

ab5ATjV.jpg

For what we could see, the top was the tv tower back then, we came up 1/2 mile short.
I only made a brief look at the newish to me gate, didn't read all the open trail mountain bike signage, didn't explore the one road available, didn't think it would go anywhere before the next gate.
I did just check a new county map that shows a unmaintained road out to Cerro Alto. The road to the top and Cerro Alto, the same?
there are two sets of towers, I'd thought that the highest elevation for the road itself was between them but I could be wrong

I wouldn't call it a road - the way I've done is single track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvtk5_nKKJs at 2:30 they're in a eucalyptus grove, you used to be able to get a Civic out there without much trouble. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4141154,-120.7477209,607m/data=!3m1!1e3 you can see it there.

there's a gate in the grove that's difficult to get around. my recollection is I've managed to get around it, but I've also taken the road down the hill from in the grove (to the west) and then gotten back to the main road at the hairpin. they go around it in the video, looks like it's gotten easier since I've been, but downed trees weren't as much of a problem when I went

closer to 41, there's a Y. if you take a left, you end up having to climb up out of the creek (as the video shows at the end), if you take a right you end up coming out on a trail at Cerro Alto campground

note that some of this probably isn't open to motorized vehicles, but I'm not sure if it's signed

I know that at one point there was a slide between the second set of towers and the grove (hence the locked gate), not sure if they ever fixed it

San Antonio Valley Rd.

Almost there. :applause

44280373794_fb0b6ca8f4_b.jpg

43187714480_863f1cf8c8_b.jpg

43187715710_d71d2e77d8_b.jpg

Didn't know they postponed the reopening date again from 9/30/18 to 11/2/18. :thumbdown

44950847472_76ebd04342_b.jpg

Morrison Canyon Rd.

44280368684_a0c8a09b07_b.jpg

44280371924_e4d2c93e77_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hauser Bridge

2t3ONAv.jpg

Skaggs

1O2LqBLr.jpg

it was REALLY slick, even on 1. spun up the rear when almost fully upright, in 3rd, part throttle.

Hauser Bridge

2t3ONAv.jpg

Skaggs

1O2LqBLr.jpg

it was REALLY slick, even on 1. spun up the rear when almost fully upright, in 3rd, part throttle.

Cool pics...what mirrors are those?

Montevina Rd - it's got some legit tight turns! Coasting down was fun.

7JoveaS.jpg

YGqpOJQ.jpg

Schulties Rd

khjrWby.jpg

jkmzBP0.jpg

fVvJLJ3.jpg

Last edited:
Silver City, ID

Silver City, Idaho is a long ways from anywhere and only accessible via dirt roads.

mVd3KS7.jpg

a5cgmnP.jpg

ScottRNelson is rocking it the right way.

Me and MotoXotica Dan Blum

At Metcalf Beta Demo Day last Saturday

Attachments

• 44DAC6A8-EC1C-4AE6-B346-C72BF53E56A0.jpg
    44DAC6A8-EC1C-4AE6-B346-C72BF53E56A0.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 88
ScottRNelson is rocking it the right way.
I'm trying to get to know the good roads in the area. I was wondering what was out Highway 45 and 78, because that looks like the only way across the Snake River. So yesterday I was having my car serviced at the local Ford dealer, mentioned to another guy waiting there that I liked exploring the dirt roads in the area and he told me that I should go to Silver City, which I had never heard of. So I got all four items checked off of my to do list before noon and headed out to go find it.

My KTM is one of the best ways to answer the question "I wonder where that road goes?". I had no idea what was up there, but it was a good ride. Now, where will I go next?

Silver City, Idaho is a long ways from anywhere and only accessible via dirt roads.

mVd3KS7.jpg

a5cgmnP.jpg

I was in Idaho couple of months ago. Rode that same trail, all the way to Jordan Valley and back again.

Fun on 2017 GSA, alot more fun on KTM 300 2 stroke.

Attachments

• 20180901_143933.jpg
    20180901_143933.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 20180901_123701.jpg
    20180901_123701.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 66
N 39 44. 150'
W 121 23. 171'

Elevation 2602 ft :twofinger

Rode so much that day, my GSA fell asleep on the trails . Unexpected road block. After 25 miles into single goat trail. The trail is narrower than the picture suggest. The incline did not help turning this 600lb beauty around with cliff on one side. Sometime you got to lay her down to turn, save energy on a 110 degree day with full gear on, and out of water. Important lessons were learned that day. I'm a better rider for it.

Yes those are 90/10 tires( stock Anakee III) They handled well, more than I was capable of pushing.

Attachments

• fall2.jpg
    fall2.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 75
It started off as a leisurely Sunday morning ride. Chico to Oro-Quincy Highway, Bucks Lake, to Quincy then back down. Should have stayed the course on way back. Then I saw a little sign that said Four Trees Highway 70, 12 miles. Hey I'm on an Adventure bike let's do a quick adventure.

Not a wise decision. 5pm all food/water used up, 100+ degrees what could go wrong. 12 miles turned into 25 miles with no Highway 70 in sight. Good thing I have 8 gallon tank. Fire road turned into single track which turned into walking path which led to dead end with tree logs piled high with no way around.

I tried to backtrack, hmmm funny how things do not look the same in the dark with a touch of heat exhaustion. Tried using my GPS to head out, but the damn thing kept sending me back to the fallen log trail. 7:30 pm managed to get phone signal and swallowed my pride and got a hold of 911 briefly. I gave them my GPS coordinates with the expectations that I will wait to be rescued. For some strange reason those expectations were not shared by 911 dispatcher. 1:30am i decided to self rescue. Managed to compose myself enough to utilize my electronics which led me out of 30 miles later to Highway 70. Called up 911 @ 4am to let them know that i have managed to self rescue. Well god damn, there was not a search party started , speaking with Sgt in charge of rescue, he made the call that I was fine. Even though he admitted that they never attempted to call me back , because my phone showed out of service. It was a big cluster f*ck.

It started off as a leisurely Sunday morning ride. Chico to Oro-Quincy Highway, Bucks Lake, to Quincy then back down. Should have stayed the course on way back. Then I saw a little sign that said Four Trees Highway 70, 12 miles. Hey I'm on an Adventure bike let's do a quick adventure.

Not a wise decision. 5pm all food/water used up, 100+ degrees what could go wrong. 12 miles turned into 25 miles with no Highway 70 in sight. Good thing I have 8 gallon tank. Fire road turned into single track which turned into walking path which led to dead end with tree logs piled high with no way around.

I tried to backtrack, hmmm funny how things do not look the same in the dark with a touch of heat exhaustion. Tried using my GPS to head out, but the damn thing kept sending me back to the fallen log trail. 7:30 pm managed to get phone signal and swallowed my pride and got a hold of 911 briefly. I gave them my GPS coordinates with the expectations that I will wait to be rescued. For some strange reason those expectations were not shared by 911 dispatcher. 1:30am i decided to self rescue. Managed to compose myself enough to utilize my electronics which led me out of 30 miles later to Highway 70. Called up 911 @ 4am to let them know that i have managed to self rescue. Well god damn, there was not a search party started , speaking with Sgt in charge of rescue, he made the call that I was fine. Even though he admitted that they never attempted to call me back , because my phone showed out of service. It was a big cluster f*ck.

Hey, that's how you have a real adventure. :laughing

I've had multiple experiences of not knowing where I was headed for sure and having the trail get worse and worse. Probably not 30 miles worth, though. I think the worst case was going down a trail I knew I would never make it back up. That one eventually got wider and nicer until I found myself on the wrong side of a locked gate. :( A quarter mile of riding down a rocky stream bed got around that.

My GPS shows a blue line where I've been and I've had a few instances up in the Sierras where that was the only way I could find my way back out.

Glad you survived and now you have a great story to tell.

Couple of pictures from my trip out to the Hawthorne Rally last month. Heading out along the ET Hwy, near Red Canyon on Hwy 12, entrance to Capitol Reef

Attachments

• ET.jpg
    ET.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 75
  • HWY12.jpg
    HWY12.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 72
  • CapitalReef.jpg
    CapitalReef.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Back