• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Photos of your bike on location

Mattole Road, yesterday.

Honeydew:
51223338806_bf737852c8.jpg

Almost Cape Mendocino:
51224411880_0198ca6330.jpg

Ferndale:
51224412670_34bfd43063.jpg

Do tell about this years crop of potholes, , ,

I spent last summer there, hiding from 'rona.

Do tell about this years crop of potholes, , ,

Whoever sowed the pothole seeds last fall did a very thorough job. JFC. The V-Strom tolerated the road well, but my aging spinal column? Not so much.

I hadn’t ridden it in about 10 years, and remember the very ‘beginning’ (coming from 101/Ave. of the Giants) being bumpy AF. But it’s now as smooth as a pool table… until you leave the state park area.

Plus, there were several stretches of gravel, most unsigned, a couple in blind curves, and one (just before Ferndale) quite deep.

So it was a tough ride, but I suppose the good thing about the terrible condition of Mattole Road is that it keeps the riffraff out. I had the Lost Coast all to myself. Not including the cows.

Oh, and nowadays the huge grow operations have *signs* on them. Superfluous ones, since my nose told me everything I needed to know, esp. around Honeydew. :weed

Mattole Road, yesterday.

Honeydew:
51223338806_bf737852c8.jpg

Almost Cape Mendocino:
51224411880_0198ca6330.jpg

Ferndale:
51224412670_34bfd43063.jpg

Nice photos! Love that whole area, including the crappy roads and potholes! I rode it all on my SV once, and it wasn't all that horrible, but it totally pegs the super duper funmeter when on my supermoto or dualsport. And yeah, the crappy roads keep the traffic down, for sure.

Yep. I’d like to spend a few days up there exploring some of the *other* crappy roads. But not until I get a skid plate and crash bars!

Yep. I’d like to spend a few days up there exploring some of the *other* crappy roads. But not until I get a skid plate and crash bars!

I wholeheartedly support this notion! :thumbup

This is one of my favorites there...
file_zps7e249fea.jpg

Looks like a scene out of Road Runner cartoon, save for the asphalt not being ripped from the bed and falling down again.

Our Lady Queen of Heaven Catholic Church in Oreana, ID
9h89mQu.jpg

At the summit between Oreana and Jordan Valley, in the Owyhee Mountains
iZAjc7I.jpg

A reservoir in the middle of nowhere, for irrigation
bSZLVJE.jpg

Some interesting cliffs on the way toward Silver City
FR69Lgc.jpg

At the summit of Silver City Rd looking toward Treasure Valley (where I live)
0G8v4b2.jpg

On Water Tank Rd, headed toward a wormhole. (No, didn't see any water tank.)

gQl1rC9.jpg

gqCh0ld.jpg

FxbYk7V.jpg

Buena Vista Rd

M4SiY5V.jpg

I made a day poaching Pink Jeep's trail heads, not enough gearing to tackle.
Off this trail Broken Arrow, some steep slick rock and deep ruts out to Chicken Point.
Schebley Hill road, First cut as a haul road down from the rim into town.
Takes you past Cow Pies and the carousel way around to the left of the red rock you see
The namesake here Sedona Schebley, if I remember correctly on naming the town, first choice was taken. Then settled on his niece Sedona.
On my way home, Courthouse and Bell rock, from Yavaipi overlook.

I rode into town a couple of days earlier to look into stuff with a wider loop.
I did notice the speed limits have been lowered, in and out of town.
I'm going to guess, with all the rental rigs in town for the "spores", speed was dropped for the safety of all. Fleets of side X sides have lowered the ATV and scooter rentals, jeep rentals are diminishing too, Jeep tours still strong.
With limits from 25 to 45, well within the mini's range with my ol' butt onboard.
I drove to Village of Oak Creek on 179, now a molded outdoor corridor amplifying the red rock beauty, as it guides you into Sedona, and the roundabouts to play in.
Kicked the mini out, stopped @ Bell rock, met two beemer guys (with the proper accent) starting out, I gave them a "small" bit o' grief for all the load they were packing, wrong bike, no fun. They hadn't seen a monkey yet, we had fun for a bit swapping stories, then I started my adventure for the day.

Attachments

• IMG_3125.jpg
    IMG_3125.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3128.jpg
    IMG_3128.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3130.jpg
    IMG_3130.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3142.jpg
    IMG_3142.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hey, RED and shiny, a pair!!!

Parking lot @ the Cliff Castle, was looking for a parking sticker from the Park Service, good for all the trailheads. Usually you hang your tag from the mirror, but on open vehicles they are easy to steal, so stickers. No Joy, computer down.

I 17 thru Verde Valley where it crosses the river. 75 +, big grades up each side of the valley, so get a run at them, , ,

Attachments

• IMG_3144.jpg
    IMG_3144.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3146.jpg
    IMG_3146.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I always enjoy your pictures, Scott. :thumbup

I do, too! I always look forward to your photos while out and about! After riding dirt bikes in Idaho for a few years, I was ready to move there. Spent a few years trying to get Eric to agree to it, and by the time he finally did I backed out because I didn't want to quit my job. What a maroon...:rolleyes

I wholeheartedly support this notion! :thumbup

This is one of my favorites there...
file_zps7e249fea.jpg

Oh, nice! Which road is that?

+1 ... want to guess Bald Hills Rd or Bell Springs Rd,
but can’t say I recognize it ...?

:dunno:ride

That was Bear Ridge Road. I've ridden Bell Springs but can't remember where my photos are from that trip. We rode out to Island Mountain Rd on that trip and did some great exploring, only to realize we were on private property and didn't know it.

This is Bald Hills on a different trip, much colder and a lot more rain...
Eureka2010020.jpg

I always enjoy your pictures, Scott. :thumbup

I do, too! I always look forward to your photos while out and about! After riding dirt bikes in Idaho for a few years, I was ready to move there. Spent a few years trying to get Eric to agree to it, and by the time he finally did I backed out because I didn't want to quit my job. What a maroon...:rolleyes
Now I'm going to have to go out and take some more. :cool

If I get enough yard work done today, I plan to go attack a single-track section that was too much for me three years ago when I first moved here. I was out of shape, hadn't ridden much in the past year or two, had the wrong tires on the bike and street gearing. All of that is fixed now. But I've been afraid to go back there for some reason. :laughing

Thanks for letting me know that you care.

I enjoy all the pics posted to this thread. In some cases it gives me ideas on roads to go find, in other cases it just makes me wanna get out and ride more.

The namesake here Sedona Schebley, if I remember correctly on naming the town, first choice was taken. Then settled on his niece Sedona.

Now, see the story I was told, mind probably by a Pink Jeep Tour Guide at the time, was that there was a brothel at Oak Creek, who's Madam was named "Dona".

As travelers were passing, they were asked where they were going.

"We're going to see Dona!"

And it sorta stuck...

Back