• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Photos of your bike on location

Holy crap Gary. Talk about funding storm damage! :wow

bWY22T0.jpg

mzLk1wG.jpg

CnykEGW.jpg

WOW! I'm a little late to the party Gary. Thanks for all the great pictures of the road closures. Soooo sad! Looks like it will be a while before we have our wonderful roads back.

Also, love the murals!!!

Glenwood Rd

Heh. "Road". "I don't think that word means what you think it means."

Redwood Lodge Rd. When they built this bridge I thought they finally fixed the road problem once and for all. When I saw this I went, "oh my god," in my head.

Well we lost the same overpasses to two different quakes down here in So Cal over the years. Hopefully they've figured it out this time when they rebuild it.

Wow, glad the roads up north (seem to) have faired better for the most part, guess I won't be riding pescadero creek for a bit, though I suppose the DRZ could bypass that closure.

Got the DRZ for some errands and took the long way home.

Had to drop off some sharps and whatnot (SO is diabetic)

AMWts8CT0VDeXwq7p8oZ-3_oWmszHYzTYJb5jTK2iTbqaQe4nh6aaSKzdld_RZDinsORSeeshdmT0Zv8NYxt8w1L0ULpSkH5fgNvLDtyyc145LJVQAZIzi4-tBLno9qvsiTXWWxixmkqQvFVCoxxG0GDLbze1A=w1000-no

Then I decided to ride across the city to chase the sunset.

Twin Peaks

AMWts8CZJDivXl6JoLIbA7cfR5Kn2CV6QpHnPOdnWfPKOmyGR2WR2VfbBp-NxBB1pVRqIOksYPb8iFCW_Pnj92_GUS9N8gPEjZdhDdQAviIx5sJ2bEJUVh-6xm99rk2umt2puqGFGtYZj14WZxCuO-7NFLjvHA=w1099-no

AMWts8DIiBtbvziH3ntxRLGh2QlWslJPh4fr-DCvX0SE8dyPaN8wX_cdvfo6k96tJFSpj3FiftbKmij5uS_OF7x5kl_0fuYaUZEl2xv7szWugrNg5bTLf5dxypWVTEs8_sYXqLglVfVWF_B5hI_GI1A7y0IKsQ=w1099-no

AMWts8C7Wnduby0hYuB0KZhxwaorcahfBfb4-W9fTeWGRoU99pkDWAtfNksSReHn5WyHg-JjMG2r0KIhBlxbby480E_pFl9bwah3jj8Puo8mqc4l22dmW0CQnXnSTL_m8uly28y5-QTQ3tcnMjIFFHCKeb3kEw=w1099-no

Didn't quite get to the beach in time, but the afterglow was nice.

AMWts8BdOaXxVvhHTRJ9nCHAUVuwRESBrKm-cDS2i__IPuRSHnbr-K-ogPZJRhaYf0fYLufU5yB8KYGl1YSwddfCUgfR2ao57zcQJw0HdE-xnDtb5brp-00jLDRvD2NBUMlUOwK_iV4UlO7THUiMNEya103fmQ=w1099-no

Broken/dirty roads are more fun to ride on except I had to hose off the mud after each of the last 2 rides on my 690.

Most independent shops don't want to work on my KTMs, so I went to a dealer, the Motor Cafe, for valve inspection/adjustment on the 950SM; it cost a whopping $924!

Hwy 9, open all the way from Santa Cruz to Saratoga, except one section south of Ben Lomond where they diverted traffic onto Glen Arbor Rd.

NPIF7UU.jpg

5zqfgCh.jpg

Last edited:
I simply sell my bikes before needing that service.
Partly because by then the bike has significantly depreciated and the ratio for cost of that service versus value of the bike makes it uneconomical. And partly because I’d be concerned that the shot didn’t actually do the work. I’d have no evidence that they did.

I've never considered motorcycle for their economics. Hyper is getting it's second valve adjustment, though I hear that the valves were all very out of spec, which does make me wonder how well the job was done when it was seen by the dealer for it's first service. I didn't really trust their work generally, which is why the bike goes to Lucy now.

I've yet to have a BMW that has needed more than minor tweaks to the exhaust valves regardless of the mileage. :dunno

The Ducs on the other hand...

How much do you pay for your Duc valve adjustment alone?

Hwy 92 at Skyline. 92 is open in both directions. Looks like the big sink hole is already fixed, and that bypassed section should reopen soon.

99ChZ2c.jpg

Main Street, Half Moon Bay

kfumECH.jpg

EjoT4j5.jpg

UvmXaNv.jpg

5EKaJ4y.jpg

Hwy 1 toward San Gragorio.

The FZ1 is a great all around bike, but because of the I4 power characteristics I like it the most on open roads where it can stretch its legs.

kTPQOy8.jpg

j6IwS07.jpg

lZv5dVJ.jpg

You’re likely aware, valve adjustment on an air cooled Ducatis is actually fairly simply process.
You mean a 2-valve Ducati. The ST2 was just as easy, but water cooled. It's the 4-valve engines that are more difficult, and all of those were water cooled.

Yep talking two valve. Didn’t know the water cooled two valve was a similar setup.
Couple of years ago I was interested in buying an air cooled Hypermotard 1100. The bike was low mileage pristine condition but before pulling the trigger I researched the value adjustment procedure. Was surprised to see how simple it is.
Ended up buying a totally different bike instead.
Kinda always wanted a clean 1100 Hyper though so passing on that might have been my once and only opportunity. The price just wasn’t right.

My problem is I rarely am just getting valves. Once I've done 18k on the bike it's in need or other odds and ends, which I could be doing myself, but haven't been. I'm sure I'm going to have a big bill when I get it back this time, but I'll have fresh fluids all around new braided brake lines that are actually the right length for the M50 calipers I put on last year and of course valves that are in spec.

Back