• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Photos of your bike on location

Packed up and ready to hit the road on my 3 1/2 week Continental Divide ride.

Attachments

• Resized_20220724_105419.JPEG
    Resized_20220724_105419.JPEG
    172.8 KB · Views: 3
Great pics Gary. Is that a rental bike?

No. I bought it that day in SF from a young guy.

Since very post should have a picture...Downtown San Jose last night. Not mine, of course.

FXbVRhq.jpg

I kept thinking, "could I limit myself to just a couple of good shots per ride?", but couldn't do it. Too many interesting spots.

Mountain Charlie Rd. (This bike has no ride mode, traction control or ABS. It was a little slippery, but still no need for any of those. Love how the throttle feels directly linked to the rear tire on the ground.)

d7OjLfz.jpg

ty6vOXd.jpg

Such a cool hillbilly set up, especially the engine

0WKxMJN.jpg

a3IpGCz.jpg

9IrkH2F.jpg

Last edited:
Glenwood Dr. It's always interesting to ride on this aggregate concrete road. The way the surface slabs are cracked, broken, heaved, it feels like riding on the sidewalk of an old shopping mall that's ready to be demolished.

7zb546Y.jpg

xG2Bmq0.jpg

I rode gently on Mountain Charlie and tried not to get the bike too wet 'cause I just lubed the chain. But by this point I gave up all illusions of being able to stay dry and clean. It's like the saying if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen; here it's if you can't stand getting wet and dirty stay out of the hills.

A year ago this section of the road completely crumbled. I think it was reopened late last year.

3bbCmSf.jpg

wWsg3SR.jpg

Last edited:
Old Santa Cruz Hwy. The road's been closed here for like forever, but I had not seen the actual damage.

gl4yJrM.jpg

2IJDLHe.jpg

YYdSGX7.jpg

tw3wXc5.jpg

It dried up on the last part of the ride. Rather than hosing the bike down which would require drying again, I decided to sweep off the dried up dirt/sand from the bike; the lazy man's solution.

709rlvU.jpg

Last edited:
:laughing @ Mr. Sweeper!

Mag,

Looks like you have been having a blast. :thumbup
I must have missed your trip reports :twofinger

All the John Deeres lined up and ready for spring plowing.

Wish you were still in Pleasanton, Scott. I would love to go on a dual-sport ride with you and swap bike - my DR for your XR.

I went to GP Sports to pick up a part, and checked out their inventory. Surprised to see that they have a new Transalp, a grey Tenere 700, and a grey/yellow V-Strom 800; all the Japanese middle-weight Adv bikes in one place. Would be cool to own all 3 at the same time! (Only need about $40k total; I rather do this than buy a new car.)

hBSR33z.jpg

91HU2Ej.jpg

iUTVmSi.jpg

iNFwIiP.jpg

c2IlYcR.jpg

NLNwEbf.jpg

Last edited:
Since they had them all lined up, I check out each one, especially the clutch lever pull effort. KLR650, DR650, CRF450RL, DRZ400, KLX300, CRF300L, KLX230, TW200, etc.

Since I own one, the DR650 clutch pull is my base line. The KLR650's clutch pull feels even stiffer. :thumbdown The huge surprise is CRF300L - not only is its clutch pull incredibly light (way lighter than the KLX300), it feels buttery smooth like it's on precision ball bearings. (Cable clutch on cheaper bikes often feel a little gritty.) My grip is fairly weak and I never thought one-finger clutching was possible until I tried the CRF300L. I would take it over the KLX300 for this reason alone, no question. If the CRF300L's clutch pull is A+, none of the other bikes there is higher than a C+. (This is just a static clutch pull impression - I didn't get to ride them.)

33kbvzt.jpg

iA5FDfy.jpg

Wish you were still in Pleasanton, Scott. I would love to go on a dual-sport ride with you and swap bike - my DR for your XR.
You missed your chance six years ago. I have still never ridden a DR650.

If you'll come to Idaho, I'll let you ride my XR all day if you want. I can show you a bunch of interesting riding.

You mentioned clutch pull and I realize that I don't even notice that at all on my bikes. After the above photo by the green tractors, I took my KTM out for another ten miles or so. It's interesting how when ridden back-to-back the KTM feels so much more refined. And I think the control are lighter, engine more responsive, and I don't really notice the additional 100 pounds of weight. I totally forgot to stop and get another picture of that bike out in the farm fields around here. :laughing

I hope you guys don't get bored with my 'same picture every time'.
The top of South Fork mountain is always spectacular, no matter what time of year it is. Plus, most of the time, when I'm rolling thru HWY36, I'm having way too much fun to stop. Except here.

Attachments

• Southforkmtn 2242024.jpg
    Southforkmtn 2242024.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 7
You missed your chance six years ago. I have still never ridden a DR650.

If you'll come to Idaho, I'll let you ride my XR all day if you want. I can show you a bunch of interesting riding.

Missed opportunity for sure. Don't see me going to Idaho, though. :laughing

Uvas Rd. Holy cow, they turned the twistiest section and the narrowest bridge into this. Now the road's safer but much less fun.

Boo1KYw.jpg

Meridian Rd near Prundale. From looking at Google Maps I wanted to take this from 156 to Blackie Rd, but this turned out to be a dirt farm access road. On the DR650 or 690SM I would've ridden thru it without a second thought, but I didn't want to take any chance of dropping the heavy GS, so I turned back to 156.

E6g8XUr.jpg

San Juan Grade

6Kq16aN.jpg

Behind Mission San Juan Bautista

Qss3cru.jpg

Last edited:
Old Santa Cruz Hwy - another "broken concrete sidewalk" kind of road.

laI8nUH.jpg

1XD0pQG.jpg

MOBARF, Life in Morro Bay,

What you see here is the "Dinner Cruise" boat, out for another refit. I have seen it here like this maybe 5 years ago.

Cal Poly and USB were in a battle of the bay with small sail boats, running tight marks on a short course, with the tide OUT. Very little room to float/sail, light wind, man-handling the boats, dipping the boom seems fun. Just too far away for a clean pix :(

Attachments

• IMG_5769.jpg
    IMG_5769.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 2
Mt Hamilton Road

AP1GczMi5pzAah9FDoR8AshcWHFfEXlrfnf8KFE_cwVXWDplkaiBc2nDiqm_hBwk0ybttL2Xmg0hZ_Jy9bfToam5dP8jceevSixIO4JN2Po4x9DWNKj3rJpmflWSlr6JcmgwQjF_gF0IgQJXxeV3mT8A7m8rdA=w1071-no-gm

Calaveras Road

ABLVV849YZW-8gdOI5Ffn1UEEx8ESgoYFYxORS8UHRCIRdnKK6RUwDTFeXrW83JAvx0wt6Ko73nJ-JpXS8u1t0wz5sVnBAyYzadJ_ChCJwWEoqKgwfrocEzc6a-JyoFv4NanQSiSESA8_9JOo01lsqU5rgO96Q=w1071-no-gm

Marshall Petaluma Road

AP1GczMaJnJxib1W7sp45dG5p-5miLmc3XLweNcMLaUWjiuKmmehkyPV2lxLQRBtkVbzGkdEqhU3LDvbwF98aKI2yToJk0btec15R3t7pIo3hmSvnl5WnFBA5Ax4cRCTCAfd5z29sLYiasWAEZm46kyWmVSMMg=w1071-no-gm

Bolinas Fairfax Road

AP1GczPDwbgAkiAGtK-kRZ1iALmW7eNOe-aDfhMtidn_rL9-bgsbZRvHHNtmqi4kKYBobJh3YxDRMvsQBvSUfRSmpAnAaxUBswCbSUvgXidAOnQtN8zIpn3Ir63KqvwpHHPzTCaJutlYyyfNRLD-kehgIAN-Cw=w716-no-gm

Last edited by a moderator:
joint point on coleman valley road.

Attachments

• IMG_3917.jpg
    IMG_3917.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 4
Back