PIT HO RALLY 24 - TAFT MAY 3RD -5TH

I said the weekend... :twofinger

Give me a minute bro. Got a real job yanno. :p

Man my dumb job is always gettin in the way of fun too.

I guess it pays for the fun, so it works out. :laughing

anyway LET ME IN

Plan is to retire in 2026 as a 67 something :afm199

Then I can focus on this really important stuff. :thumbup

I want in. I will be severely traumatized if I don’t get in. I mean who is the best? B st of best? Wanna know!

mead dad you are in. More to do, but what the hell.

G.. you still need to sign up! :twofinger

Might take the Road King to all 4 rallies since it's at 97k and change. Maybe see if I can hit 100k this summer.

Yea, this IS the part that turns me away. I have never been there, ever. It looks ugly to see and smell, I don't understand why here for a rally?
My grandparents, mom's side, came from here, Taft & McKittrick.
They were working livestock, sheep or cattle their lifetime, no oil biz.
I should go just to see their neighborhood

STURGIS '26 ??

Last edited:
Yea, this IS the part that turns me away. I have never been there, ever. It looks ugly to see and smell, I don't understand why here for a rally?
My grandparents, mom's side, came from here, Taft & McKittrick.
They were working livestock, sheep or cattle their lifetime, no oil biz.
I should go just to see their neighborhood

:thumbup

yeah, Taft is the super-awesome anti-Morro Bay/Paso Robles, for sure. :laughing

I lobbied hard for BARF to stay at our fav Taft lodging opportunity—The Topper Motel—when we grace Taft with our BARF presence. but that was slumming it a bit too-too much for our rally masters and mistresses, apparently. :toothless

like to think of Taft as a sister city to Hawthorn, NV. :party

Last edited:
:thumbup

yeah, Taft is the super-awesome anti-Morro Bay/Paso Robles, for sure. :laughing

I lobbied hard for BARF to stay at our fav Taft lodging opportunity—The Topper Motel—when we grace Taft with our BARF presence. but that was slumming it a bit too-too much for our rally masters and mistresses, apparently. :toothless

like to think of Taft as a sister city to Hawthorn, NV. :party

I don't remember the lobbying for the Topper.. maybe I screwed the pooch.
Taft is for sure the sister city to Hawthorne. :laughing Love it :thumbup

Taft has...
Access to great riding. Fucking eh!! :ride
Affordable compared to Morro Bay like $200 a night less affordable!!
Some decent restaurants.
A good bar walking distance from the Motel.
Does not take an 8 or more hour ride to get there with some great route options to get there and back and on Saturday Ojai /33 and more are doable.
Some great off road wonders.
Great weather in Spring too!

AND....t is the Best of Places to take a pic of your bike in front of an oil rig. :teeth

taft means we can please our dual sport crowd and our street crowd with one easy rally. it’s cheap and the hotel was clean. it’s about the riding, not the town.

:rolleyes

We tend not to ride on I 5. :laughing

It is pretty rare to have any tickets on this ride. I cannot remember anyone getting one. Of course we always play nicely around town and rolling in and out.

Enjoy the flowers!!!

New to BARF, but been through and around Taft a lot over the years on 2 and 4 wheels. No reason to see the 5 at all, even from a distance. Nearby are Carizzo Plain National Monument for dirt roads, Hudson Ranch Road (Cerro Noroeste), to the East, Highway 58 West to Paso Robles and Highway 229, Highway 33 South to Ojai. I wouldn't summer in Taft, but May can be tolerable, and the oil fields and museum are pretty interesting as well.

Man my dumb job is always gettin in the way of fun too.

I guess it pays for the fun, so it works out. :laughing

anyway LET ME IN

My days of not having a job are numbered, I will miss the free time to just fuck off and ride whenever I feel like it. Won't be taking any work that gets in the way of existing riding plans though...

Speaking of which, I'll probably be headed out there for the superb bloom this year, I was through that area a few times last year and never had any interactions with LEO despite making it a point to observe and then ignore all posted speed limits. I-5 is to be avoided whenever feasible.

Last edited:
A bit of oil history,

The Santa Barbara Film Fest is running, featuring a new film?
"Greetings From Summerland". Birthplace of Off Shore Oil.
They showed what the coast looked like as drilling "left the beach"

And, a current local issue, abandoned leaking wells in Guadalupe, off gassing methane, that need to be fully capped/secured

Both on last nite's news

We rallied to Weaverville. It was hot, it was twisty, it was good.

We rallied to Hawthorne. It was rainy, it was unpaved, it was good.

Next, is this Ithaca we rally to? No. It is Taft. Where the hell is Taft? I don't know but I just gave my credit information to a very mumbly man on the telephone and have no idea how much he is planning to charge me for the privilege of exploring his exotic town.

Back