• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Post / Chat whores post here (2024)

I keep eyeballing those HexClad sets at Costco. I know Ramsey hawks them but they're likely writing him huge checks to do so. Thoughts?

I wouldn't buy an entire set of non-stick you need like...one.

https://www.seriouseats.com/hexclad-review-8418511

Cons:

We question the pan's durability and purpose: stainless steel brings quick and even heating, but prevents it from being truly nonstick, while the PTFE coating gives the pan some nonstick abilities (though not entirely, because of the stainless steel webbing), but isn’t as durable as stainless steel. That said, Hexclad does have a lifetime warranty, which is heartening (though it comes with strings attached; the website says, “Our warranty does not cover damage occurred as a result of failure to follow proper care and use guidelines as outlined in the product inserts and on our website.”).

I wouldn't personally

My most used:

- Cast Iron Lodge
- Stainless Cuisinart
- Standard non-stick Cuisinart
- Enameled cast iron pot Lodge or Le Creuset depending on size need

I just buy a new non-stick every few years

Last edited:
I keep eyeballing those HexClad sets at Costco. I know Ramsey hawks them but they're likely writing him huge checks to do so. Thoughts?

We have one Hexclad and two Blackcube pans. They are very similar and I like them all. My wife doesn’t like them as much as I do, feeling that they are neither great for browning or non-stick. I feel they they are quite good for both of those things. We each cook different things in them, so that may be why we’re having different perceptions of the pans.

This is probably not helpful.

Good morning to you Jason :x

Morning, G! :wave :love

I wouldn't buy an entire set of non-stick you need like...one.

https://www.seriouseats.com/hexclad-review-8418511

Cons:

I wouldn't personally

My most used:

- Cast Iron Lodge
- Stainless Cuisinart
- Standard non-stick Cuisinart
- Enameled cast iron pot Lodge or Le Creuset depending on size need

I just buy a new non-stick every few years

I'm "ghetto" when it comes to pans. I usually just buy a new set of mid-range Calphalon pans from Marshalls/HomeGoods/TJ Maxx every few years when the last set wears out. We also have a collection of decent Le Creuset items as well as a couple Lodge pans. The Le Creuset stuff can be found at the aforementioned stores on the regular if you just pop in from time to time. They always seem to have some there. I'm starting to see more and more All-Clad stuff in their stores too but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I hate the idea of having to use a lot of butter or oil to keep things from sticking.

As a side note, Lodge's factory is 20 minutes from my house. The factory store is pretty cool. :cool

We have one Hexclad and two Blackcube pans. They are very similar and I like them all. My wife doesn’t like them as much as I do, feeling that they are neither great for browning or non-stick. I feel they they are quite good for both of those things. We each cook different things in them, so that may be why we’re having different perceptions of the pans.

This is probably not helpful.

I don't cook a lot, but when I do, I prefer a pan with some heft to it. That and some non-stick are the biggest selling factors for me.

Last edited:
90% of my cooking is in cast iron.

Most of the time when food sticks it's a heat control problem, or not adding enough fat.

People should use whatever they prefer :)

----

I briefly switched to Andytown roasters as their coffee is way better than my home roasted stuff but it's quite expensive so I experimented with roast and now I roast 2 min longer so the color doesn't change but the flavor is way better. I have quite a few lbs of raw green beans left so I glad to know it's good.

90% of my cooking is in cast iron.

Most of the time when food sticks it's a heat control problem, or not adding enough fat.

Heat control has been a burden for me for a while that I'm still working on. My stove's controls are wildly inaccurate in the first place.

I don't cool a lot, but when I do, I prefer a pan with some heft to it. That and some non-stick are the biggest selling factors for me.

FWIW, one of the things I think these pans do very well is omelettes. You can make them very thin, with no stick. They are my go to for that. They are also oven safe, if that matters.

Heat control has been a burden for me for a while that I'm still working on. My stove's controls are wildly inaccurate in the first place.

Gas or induction are where it's at for temp control. I would love to have one of them new fangled countertops with the induction hob concealed under it. So you have a large prep surface that can also be cooked on.

I briefly switched to Andytown roasters as their coffee is way better than my home roasted stuff but it's quite expensive so I experimented with roast and now I roast 2 min longer so the color doesn't change but the flavor is way better. I have quite a few lbs of raw green beans left so I glad to know it's good.

Have you tried Highwire? I really like their Core roast.

People should use whatever they prefer :)

----

what machine / grinder?

Have you tried Highwire? I really like their Core roast.

Highwire is as good as any , but there are "like ten" well-known roasters within his Town so...

... ohvait. I wouldn't mind admitting that Berkeley, Oakland are parts of San Francisco :laughing :twofinger (they should be.. combined. The transit and water systems could benefit from improvements :dunno)

I stopped using non stick a while back to avoid getting more of dose of chemicals, but it turns out that stuff is pretty much everywhere in the world now. I splurged on a nice set of stainless steel cookware clad in copper and they are great. Little extra oil and the right heat and nothing sticks. I haven't bothered to keep up the look of the copper but they are very pretty when polished.

Great day out yesterday in this nice break in the weather. I was concerned about feeling clammy in my gear and then realized it was 67 degrees around Berryessa and I was dressed for the 50s.

It really sucks being on the temp bubble with these things, because you don't know if you're getting four inches of rain, or four feet of snow.

Back