Random Motorcycle thoughts unworthy of a new thread

Random thought...

I have recently renewed my interest in the Isle of Man TT race. I have copies of the races for a few years of it, but nothing newer than 2016. I watched a few of them recently and am continually amazed at how fast those guys are. Currently the fastest lap is 136.358 mph by Peter Hickman. I remember when John McGuinness had the first 130+ mph lap in 2007 and that was amazing. I recently watched videos of both of those.

Anyway, the random thought is to NOT get on a motorcycle after watching something like that, because it's too easy for my brain to want to start riding like those guys. :laughing

Clearly I need to do a lot more track days this year.

I got a nudge today from a friend. It has been a looooooooong time.
I seem to keep finding excuses. :laughing

3 years ago I started a random thought on bike and riding thread:
https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548114&highlight=random+thoughts

I forgot..! Happens at my age. :teeth This is a bit different I think.

I tried counting turns on Mt Hamilton, but it's like counting sheep - very hard to count past 50, and don't think I ever got close to 100.

:laughing Not gonna even try...! :laughing

Currently I'm losing sleep between getting a water-cooled R1200GS and a R1250GS next, spinning my wheels on the usual cost-reward debate.

I am for new bikes at any cost...!! :p
Be a good nights sleep soon I hope.

Random thought...

I have recently renewed my interest in the Isle of Man TT race. I watched a few of them recently and am continually amazed at how fast those guys are. Currently the fastest lap is 136.358 mph by Peter Hickman.

Anyway, the random thought is to NOT get on a motorcycle after watching something like that, because it's too easy for my brain to want to start riding like those guys. :laughing

Big TT Fan :wave

Wearing a "Live Life on the hedge" shirt right now. Joey Dunlop. :cool
I hope my brain nevers wants to ride like those guys. :laughing

I know you meant wick it up and not be.... insane. ;)

I am headed to a fundraiser to help out Max Toth tonight and I was thinking maybe BARF will do a bit more than just buy a ticket. :dunno

Probably more $$ than I can afford to put a barf sticker on his bike. :teeth

We have supported other Bay Area young men before headed to Europe to chase their dreams. Both Anthony Alonso and Brandon Kyee.

Toth did some MotoAmerica Junior Cup before chasing the real deal dream of becoming a MotoGP rider and heading to Europe. His parents must be super cool.

We helped launch Bobby Fong in MotoAmerica way back in '06 and others along the way too. Maybe it is time to re-commit to helping the young guns chase success.

Attachments

• Anthony collage.jpg
    Anthony collage.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 5
  • brandon at misano 2012.jpg
    brandon at misano 2012.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 3
Why are there so few interesting bikes for sale on Craigslist, while so many bikes for sale are uninteresting and uninspiring? It's like 99% of people buy and sell boring bikes.

I just took a look at the BARF classified ads and... WOW! Some very interesting bikes have been posted in the last three days. Including a couple for youth sized e-trials bikes, a CanAm Spyder, an Africa Twin, an MV Augusta F4... and if those are getting anyone excited, how about a 690 Kramer Evo2. You certainly don't see those for sale everyday.

Okay, that was my random thought:party

I am headed to a fundraiser to help out Max Toth tonight and I was thinking maybe BARF will do a bit more than just buy a ticket. :dunno

Probably more $$ than I can afford to put a barf sticker on his bike. :teeth

We have supported other Bay Area young men before headed to Europe to chase their dreams. Both Anthony Alonso and Brandon Kyee.

Toth did some MotoAmerica Junior Cup before chasing the real deal dream of becoming a MotoGP rider and heading to Europe. His parents must be super cool.

We helped launch Bobby Fong in MotoAmerica way back in '06 and others along the way too. Maybe it is time to re-commit to helping the young guns chase success.

Max is a great rider and we will cheer for him. He parents are great folks. I used to race SM with his dad Bert, who I see once in a while here and there. Bert was/is very fast on his Aprillia SM bike and he and I mixed it up occasionally, with Bert almost always beating me like I owed him money.:laughing

Recently I watched a vid of MotoGP factory KTM racer Brad Binder doing some training on SM bikes. Max was there riding with a bunch of GP pros and he was not outdone by them. So there's plenty of hope for his career in GP racing.

"Be Somebody, Ride a Motorcycle ..."

thinkin' today about where I used to hear that, and why.

when I google it in quotes, google comes up empty, which kinda surprised me. guess on some days, about some things, I beat google. :laughing

probably a bunch of people here who remember that catch phrase. :ride

Last edited:
At the fundraiser (thanks to Pat) I asked Max if he had ridden SM with his Dad lately. He said no and he his dad smoked him but he thought he could keep up now. :laughing

Cute moment. Got some laughs from the crowd.

Attachments

• IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2
Moto license testing in the Western world certainly are different.

The UK is way ahead of the US What you have to do

And the test is real.. not some lolly pop. :laughing

The road riding and independent riding segments are both carried out with one-way radio communication between you and your instructor, who will give directions. None of the on-road elements take place on motorways.

Cannucks have to do some work to prove they can ride a big bike.

Upgrading your M(L) or M(M) licence to a full M licence
If you want to get your unrestricted M licence, you need to pass both the M1 and M2 road tests for full-speed motorcycles.

You will need to bring a full-speed motorcycle with you to each test. You will be tested on your riding skills on this specific type of vehicle.

We have it easy.

Moto license testing in the Western world certainly are different.

The UK is way ahead of the US What you have to do

And the test is real.. not some lolly pop. :laughing

Cannucks have to do some work to prove they can ride a big bike.

We have it easy.

And because of it, Motorcycling has become a niche hobby for 30+, (semi) wealthy people (UK)....Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
I am not wishing for it to change.

Maybe just a little..... ;)

I don't think things need to be tiered, maybe the test for the license needs to be a little more rigorous, maybe not. I'd like to see some sort of licensing for e-bikes that aren't just pedal assist. Then again, I'd like to see at least some sort of education required for cyclists since most of them ride like morons, and I say that as a cyclist myself.

I went to the Hollister DMV today. That's pretty random, eh?

Thinking the new Ducati Desmo 450 MX looks pretty sweet!!

More about the bike Here

Yeah! High times in the dirt bike market at the moment. I bet that will be a rocket. Some day Suzuki might even give us E-Start.... :)

And (not worthy of a new thread....) I ordered a new helmet. Dirty bikes aside, it's the first non-race helmet I've bought in 28 years! - Shoei EX-Zero. I'm quite excited....

it's winter, motivation is low.
Rain has closed our favorite dirt spot.
Track bikes to be dropped off to have the suspension refreshed.
Will go to the desert and hike with Hyper and the pups.
Hoping for some wild flowers and beautiful vistas to put things in perspective.
DT

I have Dakar version of a BMW. I also follow the race. Admittedly I’d rather ride it than watch it.

I wanna, I think technically I'm not supposed to ride since the position puts strain on the ol' ankle / tendon. But I might have to go for a quick rip.

Back