Random Motorcycle thoughts unworthy of a new thread

I have always wondered the same thing. I have a 5.3 gallon on my DR650 and I can't imagine any smaller. The stock tank is way too small for a dualsport in my opinion. The stock seat was also terrible. Replaced it with an aftermarket but its only marginally better. As funny as they look im considering a goofy sheepskin for my next long trip.

The seat on my Honda Hornet is awful, as it's been cut down. I use an air seat like the Airhawk. Mine's a cheap ebay clone, but it's a BIG help.

Kove is certainly interesting, you can go lighter ala KTM if you don't mind more frequent service intervals. For me, dual sport is already a compromise over riding on purpose built dirt bike, my DRZ with a 4 gallon tank, sprung for my weight does well enough for anything short of single track. Of course a sub 300 lb bike with fuel injection and a 6 speed transmission would be sweet.

Yeah, im waiting for that sub 300lb fuel injected bike with a 6 speed and a decent service interval. I really feel like the rally bike thing could revive dualsports for a lot of people. Problem with a stock ktm500 is that it has zero wind protection or space for a GPS. The KOVE solves a lot of that, I just couldn't see purchasing one for at minimum 5 years. Kind of surprised ktm hasn't released a 500 rally with a fairing, gps, and slightly larger tank. Beta's 500 has a GPS on it, but otherwise is much like the ktm. Honda has the 300 rally, but at 335lbs and only 27hp its kind of a dog.

The seat on my Honda Hornet is awful, as it's been cut down. I use an air seat like the Airhawk. Mine's a cheap ebay clone, but it's a BIG help.

I will have to look into that. I did about 12 hours one weekend on my DR and by the end my butt was killing me. Even with the aftermarket seat it was pushing the limits.

Kove is certainly interesting, you can go lighter ala KTM if you don't mind more frequent service intervals. For me, dual sport is already a compromise over riding on purpose built dirt bike, my DRZ with a 4 gallon tank, sprung for my weight does well enough for anything short of single track. Of course a sub 300 lb bike with fuel injection and a 6 speed transmission would be sweet.

DRZ400s are so good (the E models anyway.) I've a friend that does everything from MX tracks to single track on one. Sweet handling, tractable and can get a surprising wiggle on. Bulletproof, too. Just a bit lighter and they'd be perfect.

I've done some pretty gnarly, single track around Big Bear on my XR650R, with a 7 gallon tank and Baja gearing. Can't say it was a lot of fun but it got through it. I keep meaning to look for a smaller tank, so it feels a bit more pointy.

I'd REALLY like a street legal RMX450, with a 6 speed, e-start and normal service intervals. For somewhat peculiar reasons, I've ended up with 2 Honda dirt bikes, despite enjoying the Suzukis I've had much more.

I don't bother stretching before riding. Convince me that I should start doing it.

Every race morning, I'll stretch before going out on track. I don't if I'm riding around town/ etc...and haven't for street rides, but they're such a lower pace and effort that I just fake it anyway on the road. My road riding is garbage cause the pace is generally way less intensity and I'm just too lazy to move like I do on a racebike.

I like to think hard about countersteering and being precise as quickly as possible. I know my normal self will kick in but forcing it mentally by focusing on it really helps get back in the game.

Love to hear your tips. :thumbup

Eyes. The eyes are the very first action before turning (or slowing, or accelerating). Counter steering doesn't happen until the eyes have spotted their target. Eyes are also the first skillset to degrade when not riding for a period. Riders need to remind themselves "eyes up" and moving.

Every sport is similar. Eyes first, then physical action.

Eyes up is something I am constantly trying to remind myself of, whenever I'm riding poorly, odds are it's because I'm not looking far enough down the road.

Same. It NEVER seems to go away and I always have to remind myself too.

Eyes guide the glide for sure. I am serious practicer in my driving to keep them sharp for my moto.

Keith Code put my whole game together. Love that guy.

Can you please explain how that improves things? I can see how it would help if you expect to crash your bike, but not how it helps in normal riding.

I don't bother stretching before riding. Convince me that I should start doing it.

I don't either but then after a couple of miles I have to pull over and stretch.

Thinking the new kid in MotoGP sure did show up at the practice (yesterday their time). Could be a huge win for Gas Gas (KTM).

And in the dirtly playbook Supercross is delivering. 4 dudes within 6 points after 4 races. Pretty awesome...!

Thinking the new kid in MotoGP sure did show up at the practice (yesterday their time). Could be a huge win for Gas Gas (KTM).

And in the dirtly playbook Supercross is delivering. 4 dudes within 6 points after 4 races. Pretty awesome...!

Pedro A. certainly did well, but I think the more seasoned riders know that being at the top on this day isn't the point. But I'm sure KTM is happy to see him adjust quickly

I hear screaming motorcycles on Mt Hamilton Road right now...
Calling me...

MotoGP and WSBK subscriptions renewed... bring it!!!

Did I buy a new 4 year old helmet?
Checked the tag yesterday, should have checked it when I picked it up.
I will likely be fine

BBDbFWsl.jpg

Qt0lKXSl.jpg

That from CG? Looking at tag: yes. But, the "in storage" thing doesn't worry me. It's the use that determines when to replace, IMO., Anything older than 10 years, I'll replace no matter.

That's not an RF1200, right?

It’s an RF1400, bought from a local shop, Ducati dealer. Wasn’t in stock so had to wait a bit.
When I showed the shop owner a pic of the graphic I wanted she did admit that it wasn’t the latest and tried to point me to one of her flashier in stock helmets. But this was the only graphic I was interested, I just wasn’t expecting it to be 4 years old and didn’t bother checking the tag when I picked it up a few weeks ago.

Looks cool though and I was sort of feeling like you, that it’s likely good as new having been stored in the box since new.
I’m an Arai guy but wanted to try a Shoei for a change.

Happy that a barfer helped to hook me up with someone to do work on my old ass Kawasaki 2 smoke!!!

Back