Random Motorcycle thoughts unworthy of a new thread

71 here in Redding yesterday.
Now that the working homies are back to work, will load up the dirt bikes for a little blast at Shasta Chappie this afternoon.
A mere 18 min drive from the house...
Retirement is under rated.:x
DT

Massive Jelly here, Duncan...least I'm retired from one of my positions now!!!

Last edited:
It was an awesome afternoon.
Trails were in awesome condition ( unlike me:)).
Hyper and I had a grand time and got to test the two bike hitch carrier which performed great.
DT

Last edited:
Right on Duncan.

Still stressing with a real job here.

Man I miss riding dirt bikes.

Friend PM'd me a youtube riding Holister for his 64th bday today. Hope he does not mind me sharing.

youtu.be/HG9Bkbu1v04

Wow , that looks exhilarating !
I'm 65 & while watching that video , I was thinking.... I would ride a little slower pace in that environment ,
mostly for self preservation , but to also just enjoy the scenery at a slower rate .
It sounded like he was riding an EV dirt bike ?

Last edited:
Seems Valentino Rossi showed to a WSBK test on his own R-1. Already sparking thoughts of a one off race in the couch racers corner.

That would be sweet if it happens.

Hanging up my gear for now, looks like another bit of rain is coming. Glad I got out this weekend, motorcycles are fun.

Interesting weather here in Morro,
After a night of buffeting breeze from the south, I'm greeted as I step out of my rig, by a pair of Monarchs, fluttering by. Just flew into town??

Nice, sunny, and calm in the morning, ugly, grey, fog on the wind, by 2

Did laundry, used the mini for hauling, did notice water under the bike, making puddles? WTF?? over,

It has a hole in the bottom face of the muffler, nice and smooth one, never had it drip before. A condensation drain, bike has a muffler under the motor, with a high pipe exit. Short trips in foggy weather collects water, high speed run into town will blow it out.

More weather this week, sand bags anyone??

Random thought: Why do so many dual sport motorcycles have such small tanks, and horrible seats?
You are supposed to be able to ride to the dirt road, and ride home. Many just don't have the range, and most dirt roads don't have gas stations. Many of the seats are reminiscent of a two-by-four with a vinyl covering.

Haven’t even seen my bikes in over two months, both under covers.
Bought new helmet and boots though just so I wouldn’t feel like I had abandoned the hobby.

...mostly for self preservation , but to also just enjoy the scenery at a slower rate .
For some reason I can't make myself do that.

I remember once, right after I got my Mustang convertible, driving through Altamont Pass Road in it heading east from Livermore. I had been through there many times on a bike, but that was the first time I really noticed the scenery along that road instead of concentrating 100% on the road surface. Same thing on dirt roads, I'm studying the road on my bike but can look a bit more at the scenery in my 4x4.

I have to actually stop the bike to truly enjoy the scenery. That I've figured out how to do:
MBhChqg.jpg

I am hoping that Feb turns into a good riding month.

We have had a few over my life time. :ride

Reminder.

When you first get back out to the twistees if rusty...
It is about that kind of year.. plus conditions but that is a different game.
I am posting about bike control and putting the bike where you want it.

I like to think hard about countersteering and being precise as quickly as possible. I know my normal self will kick in but forcing it mentally by focusing on it really helps get back in the game.

Our first spr0tbile rides after some down time can be real practice days in ways if we.....Ride Smart. :ride

Love to hear your tips. :thumbup

tip: stretch before your rides, especially if it's been a while!

tip: stretch before your rides, especially if it's been a while!
Can you please explain how that improves things? I can see how it would help if you expect to crash your bike, but not how it helps in normal riding.

I don't bother stretching before riding. Convince me that I should start doing it.

Been searching for that Unicorn bike and had a thought the other night. I want a light bike thats good both on and off-road, that can handle the highway but isn't a bitch to toss around in the dirt. There are so many trade offs in this category. Light bikes usually require have a pretty short service interval and small tanks. Those aren't ideal for putting down highway miles. Getting a bigger tank and longer intervals usually means stepping up to something like a DR650, KLR, or ktm690...but then these bikes aren't light and don't handle off-road as well as say a smaller 350 or 500.

Then I talked with a buddy who only rides street bikes and man, so many unicorn bikes on that side of the fence. You can get something that is fast, light, comfortable, fuel efficient, etc all day long.

So will we ever get that on the dirt/adv side? the KTM 500 and husqvarna 501 are the closest thing I have seen so far, but still require some modifications to make them comfortable off road. The KOVE is interesting, if its popular might we see rally bikes take off and get us closer to a dualsport unicorn?

Random thought: Why do so many dual sport motorcycles have such small tanks, and horrible seats?
You are supposed to be able to ride to the dirt road, and ride home. Many just don't have the range, and most dirt roads don't have gas stations. Many of the seats are reminiscent of a two-by-four with a vinyl covering.

I have always wondered the same thing. I have a 5.3 gallon on my DR650 and I can't imagine any smaller. The stock tank is way too small for a dualsport in my opinion. The stock seat was also terrible. Replaced it with an aftermarket but its only marginally better. As funny as they look im considering a goofy sheepskin for my next long trip.

Kove is certainly interesting, you can go lighter ala KTM if you don't mind more frequent service intervals. For me, dual sport is already a compromise over riding on purpose built dirt bike, my DRZ with a 4 gallon tank, sprung for my weight does well enough for anything short of single track. Of course a sub 300 lb bike with fuel injection and a 6 speed transmission would be sweet.

Back