• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

RZ350 re-frame... classic 2-stroke gets modern upgrade

No, we're all waiting with baited breath.

You are going to make a body buck for the fairing out of cellulose fiber reinforced sedimentary composite, and some garlic bread?

:laughing

I was thinking body work as well. When I saw the oven I was thinking back-yard autoclave thing-a-mabob, but the scraping/forming tools changed my perspective.

Bodywork is on the right track, but how do all the objects fit in? The oven is probably the hardest to figure out unless you've worked in a professional design studio.

This weekend is way too hot to be working in my shop. Especially welding. So the plan is to get some shopping for supplies done and then the remainder of the weekend getting caught up on some CAD details.

Made a morning shopping trip to Douglas and Sturgess in Richmond to pick up a 50# bag of Hydrocal White, a can of paste wax, small jar of PVA mold release, and aerosol can of shellac. They (surprisingly) didn't have any brush on shellac, so gonna try the spray stuff. Maybe it will be easier to apply and still work as well:dunno Much to my dismay, they were sold out of the key ingredient that I went there for. Luckily I found what I needed on the interwebs. It should arrive next week, and will help to solve the trivia question... unless someone figures it out first.:party

20210828_154004 by andbike, on Flickr

Okay, I'm now off to do some CAD. Maybe some screen images on Monday. Anyone want to see more CAD?

So, making forms/molds for body work. Repeatability.

I should start this update by mentioning how awesome my wife is!:hail She took sympathy on me and allowed the rolling chassis into the house on Sunday to avoid the heat outside.

20210829_161811 by andbike, on Flickr

The plan for Sunday was to modify a few small parts in CAD and design a few new parts. Two of the part were the left and right exhaust mounting brackets. Because the mid-frame has changed, the left side bracket will now be aluminum and welded to the mid-frame. Also need to see if the right side bracket should change or not?

First step is to mock-up the exhaust on the rolling chassis.

20210829_130749 by andbike, on Flickr

From here I can measure and evaluate the mounting points.

20210829_130801 by andbike, on Flickr

20210829_130922 by andbike, on Flickr

The right side pipe can be tucked up a little closer to the frame, so this side will also require a new bracket.

20210829_130825 by andbike, on Flickr

This is what the new left side bracket looks like in CAD

exbracket, left side 2.0.1 by andbike, on Flickr

This would be an easy part to CNC machine... but I'm on a budget and want to minimize parts sent out for CNC machining. So this is where I get clever. By ganging 3 brackets together and adding material between them I can have the profile laser cut, then machine the contoured surface on my lathe. Last step will be to cut the brackets apart and sand down the remnants from the connections. That's the plan at least.

exbracket, left side 2.0 by andbike, on Flickr

On the right side, I simply adjust the sheet metal bracket for the slightly higher mounting.

bracket, exhaust, long 2.0 by andbike, on Flickr

Next is to design the torque bracket for the bottom of the engine. This is easiest done with the bike upside down.

20210829_165756 by andbike, on Flickr

There are two mounting points on the lower engine case that need to be tied to the mid-frame with a plate.

20210829_212131 by andbike, on Flickr

With measurements taken from the bike, the plate and details get modeled in CAD.

torque brace by andbike, on Flickr

As one last check, I do a paper test print. Looks good!

20210829_193627 by andbike, on Flickr

Today I have a bunch of profiles to send off for laser cutting. With luck, should have cut parts by Friday just in time for another very warm weekend:x

And hopefully the missing ingredient for bodywork development should arrive this week and we'll see if that solves how the items in the three trivia photos are used.:party

I like the new furniture! For some of us mis-matched pieces just seem to work, in the living room.

Amazed as always. I couldn't tell if I needed a torque plate, let alone make one. I'm following.

Awesome! I wonder if our wives are sisters?

Attachments

• RD400 AHRMA Special.jpg
    RD400 AHRMA Special.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 14
  • RD400 AHRMA Special2.jpg
    RD400 AHRMA Special2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 13
I like the new furniture! For some of us mis-matched pieces just seem to work, in the living room.

I have a coffee table in another room that was made from an old Ducati Pantah frame... so kinda matching moto theme.

Amazed as always. I couldn't tell if I needed a torque plate, let alone make one. I'm following.

I didn't have torque arms on the prototype frame and I've built other RZ based project bikes and not used the torque arms. Those bikes have not had any problems. But if all goes as planned there might be a 100+hp engine going into one of these frames. So the torque arms/plate will probably be helpful. I've heard that big hp Banshee engines can move around even with the torque arms and throw chains off.

Awesome! I wonder if our wives are sisters?

My wife tolerated the bike in the house for a day. That's probably her limit. I had my RZ250 in the living room when we got married and it didn't stay there very long (although there were small children in the house back then). Now that the kids have moved out I've hinted at parking my Ducati 916 in the house, but she isn't too warm to that idea. Anyway, cool that your RD has a nice comfortable parking place:thumbup

Nice update Julian. This is really coming along nice.

I am ready to start another build so...it looks like there is room next to that bike. When should I start bringing parts over?

A recent dining room engine build :) This was in the winter to get out of the cold. All shiny new parts so what could go wrong?

mPp0J30h.jpg

Back