• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Share your Personal Photography Pictures. (NSFW images must be linked & labelled)

I met my mom for beers last night with my dog. I thought this photo turned out pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_1865[1].jpg
    IMG_1865[1].jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 77
One more

A piece a friend had.

Attachments

• photomerg.jpg
    photomerg.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 65
a couple from this weekend...

Attachments

• DSC_0306.jpg
    DSC_0306.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0389.JPG
    DSC_0389.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Junteenth in sf

Ike back a few years ago.

Attachments

• ike 2.jpg
    ike 2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 52
i'm still trying to understand aperture priority - i thought a higher f-stop would yield a clearer photo in view but i think i may have pushed it a bit too far with these with an f20. I still have the ok Sony A6000 stock lens - really should look into maybe a new E Lens 18-200M for more versatility, i got this camera to stop carrying multiple lenses with a heavy dslr but i'm going right back down that route again lol

some shots on Tomales Point - 10 mile hike but well worth it - lot of wild life a bit hazy though.

Coyote
34522499726_5f5a513f31_z.jpg

33720867084_a85c1744e5_z.jpg

33720879044_078923971d_z.jpg

Last edited:
pics

Jimmy

Attachments

• jimmy 1-Edit.jpg
    jimmy 1-Edit.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 72
i'm still trying to understand aperture priority - i thought a higher f-stop would yield a clearer photo in view but i think i may have pushed it a bit too far with these with an f20. I still have the ok Sony A6000 stock lens - really should look into maybe a new E Lens 18-200M for more versatility, i got this camera to stop carrying multiple lenses with a heavy dslr but i'm going right back down that route again lol

Lenses have a sweet spot for sharpest images--the rule of thumb is a couple stops down from wide open. Well beyond this point and the lens suffers from light diffraction.

Your images are nice! Long distance shots like the coyote can suffer from heat wave distortion on a warm day.

. I still have the ok Sony A6000 stock lens - really should look into maybe a new E Lens 18-200M for more versatility, i got this camera to stop carrying multiple lenses with a heavy dslr but i'm going right back down that route again lol

I'd reconsider that 18-200. YMMV of course, but I found that while the versatility is nice, the image quality was very poor overall. Even more so at the longer end, regardless of aperture.

OTOH, I've used both the 16-70 and 18-105 and they're both excellent, and well worth the price - not much more than the superzoom. I found the 16-70 to be a favorite on the A6000. That Zeiss pixie dust...

Lenses have a sweet spot for sharpest images--the rule of thumb is a couple stops down from wide open. Well beyond this point and the lens suffers from light diffraction.

Your images are nice! Long distance shots like the coyote can suffer from heat wave distortion on a warm day.

yeah i think i overdid the aperature - should have been in the 16-18 range on the F instead of into the 20s - thanks for the advice!

I'd reconsider that 18-200. YMMV of course, but I found that while the versatility is nice, the image quality was very poor overall. Even more so at the longer end, regardless of aperture.

OTOH, I've used both the 16-70 and 18-105 and they're both excellent, and well worth the price - not much more than the superzoom. I found the 16-70 to be a favorite on the A6000. That Zeiss pixie dust...

That's good to know - when i had my older DSLR i shot mostly with Prime lenses 50mm and 20mm - great quality and aperture range for low light but of course - no zoom which is a challenge sometimes. I'll take a look at an 18-105 instead - would be plenty of zoom for what i'm looking.

Central Subway Project (UMS Station) -- 100ft below Stockton St. - Downtown SF.

pics

here is one

Attachments

• IMG_6203.jpg
    IMG_6203.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 72
i'm still trying to understand aperture priority - i thought a higher f-stop would yield a clearer photo in view

A higher f-stop will, up to a point, give a greater depth-of-field in an image.

Depth-of-field = how much is in focus from the front of your image to the back.

You are correct - an f-stop of f/16 will produce "more of the image in focus" than if the same image was taken at f/4.

However, as has been noted above, lenses have a limit on their aperture where diffraction sets it - and that can make the photo less sharp than normal.

Also: Where your focus is also determines how much depth-of-field you have - When taking distant shots, you don't necessarily need a higher f-stop because it's likely everything will be in focus.

Conversely, if you're shooting something up close, you will start to notice the effects of a narrow/shallow depth-of-field.

Short answer: On that body with that kit lens, you should strive to go no higher than f/11 ... maybe f/16.

I was working on a time-lapse from Mission Peak - my phone arguably caught a better image than my main camera. :p
IMG_20170430_195943.jpg

Speaking of drones... was down in Costa Rica for a project... brought the Mavic. I love this little thing.

SkLslK9.jpg

buC5c2h.jpg

Last edited:
Back