• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Solo trip to Baja by bike...plane ride back...NSFW due to animal carnage!

What an epic adventure! Really glad you came out ok and with a renewed faith in your fellow man. Sad to see the bike burn but like others have said this is a tale you lived that you will get to tell forever. Thanks for sharing it here.

Daniel

Dan, you are the man. I'm glad you got back safely. Great story.

Incredible road trip report, Daniel. Instead of having a meltdown by the side of the road, you adapted quickly to the Mexican ethos of somos jodidos and then carried on. The beaners are resourceful and make do with what they have, just like you. :thumbup

You did a bunch of things wrong and a bunch of things right, tossed in a good gob of luck and you came out with a great story. +1 for your attitude. I've been going to Baja for 20 years and the people that helped you are the rule rather then the exception.

.............."You will never be completely at home again, because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place".

Author Unknown......................

For this, I say; THANK YOU !

For the rest of your story; :wow :hail
and yeah, dogs ARE tuned to some stuff that we are not privy to

Last edited:
For this, I say; THANK YOU !

For the rest of your story; :wow :hail

A friend gave me that quote after hearing of this. I've traveled all over the world and I'm fascinated by the people I have met. I'm no idealist who thinks everything is rainbows and unicorns. I've met plenty of assholes all over. I've got dozens of stories of meeting simple, generous, honest people.

Most of my family and friends don't understand my travel wishes. They would rather go to Vegas, Hawaii, or a cruise. I have no desire to do that at all but I understand everyone is different. I'm just glad for email because its easier to keep in touch with people in five continents!

This makes me wonder if you did in fact have full coverage insurance on this bike, how would you make a claim.

Great story, no go buy another bike and get ready for round two.

Awesome, awesome story!

(rips usb charger off bike)

What a story! Thanks for writing it up for us.

If my bike is ever going up in flames, I'm gonna have to remember to take a picture. :laughing

This makes me wonder if you did in fact have full coverage insurance on this bike, how would you make a claim.

Great story, no go buy another bike and get ready for round two.

Good question and I only had liability. I bought La Verdita from Craigslist for 1600 and the previous owner asked for my barf name. He may be on here. I bought her with the intent of taking a one way trip to Colombia. She had a great running motor though....DEP.

One of the best ride reports ever. Thanks!

Wow! Fantastic trip report.
Glad you're ok after the goat incident.

I've traveled across Baja and mainland Mexico a lot and met so many helpful people. Like someone mentioned already, it's the norm not the exception.

KLR on fire! check this video.

Also...

I'm down to donate some $$ to get your roadside angel a motor... I suspect getting it through customs might be a problem, but maybe a barfer can help with that ?

Thx "Cabrito"... Such an appropriate name for the thread

Back