• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Solo trip to Baja by bike...plane ride back...NSFW due to animal carnage!

Also...

I'm down to donate some $$ to get your roadside angel a motor... I suspect getting it through customs might be a problem, but maybe a barfer can help with that ?

I appreciate the offer but I will handle it in the name of BARF so we can share the karma.

A friend gave me that quote after hearing of this. I've traveled all over the world and I'm fascinated by the people I have met. I'm no idealist who thinks everything is rainbows and unicorns. I've met plenty of assholes all over. I've got dozens of stories of meeting simple, generous, honest people.

Most of my family and friends don't understand my travel wishes. They would rather go to Vegas, Hawaii, or a cruise. I have no desire to do that at all but I understand everyone is different. I'm just glad for email because its easier to keep in touch with people in five continents!

Daniel, I just have to chime in again. I've enjoyed this thread so much, largely due to your great attitude. A friend of mine used to tell me that the difference between a disastrous trip and a great adventure is usually just perspective. There are a lot of folks who would have written-up this ride report very differently, dwelling on the negatives. Good on you, sir! :thumbup

One of my favorite moto adventures involved breaking down about 120 miles from anything, deep in eastern Canada. I built the world's crappiest igloo and lived in it for three days while I got my bike sorted out. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to have a good outlook at the time, and did my best to enjoy the situation. That said, the relief when the bike finally roared back to life was VERY strong. :laughing

Karma isn't always a bitch. Sometimes she's a warm blanket and a firm handshake. Plus a goat taco or two.

Great road story. First rate. Absolutely first rate.

Thanks for making my day.

Dan,

What an awesome lonely planet adventure Dan ! I just read this thread straight through all 5 pages and could not stop. Great write up. Absolutely agree with you on travel and meeting people like Don Julio, Doña Beatriz and Ernesto. Thanks for sharing with us. Can't wait to hear part 2 of this Baja solo trip. Your title did get me for a few secs but I didn't think much of it as I started reading the story. El japones in Mexico, que bueno !

Brings back memories of my little typhoon Macau adventure while living in Hong Kong back in '93, closest I got to this !

Last edited:
What a story! Thanks for writing it up for us.

If my bike is ever going up in flames, I'm gonna have to remember to take a picture. :laughing

There's little else you can do...

Holy flying goat parts, Batman!
Absolutely awesome thread.
It's already been said here, but bears repeating....your attitude and perspective should be commended.
....and yes, always listen to the dogs.

There's little else you can do...

So true. Once I saw the flames, closure set in. All my thoughts of worry, anxiety, or disparity went up with the flames. It was actually quite calming.

Holy flying goat parts, Batman!
Absolutely awesome thread.
It's already been said here, but bears repeating....your attitude and perspective should be commended.
....and yes, always listen to the dogs.

Yes, even a cat guy like me will have to start listening to dogs!

If BARF gave out annual awards for best threads, I'm sure this would be a contender for 2014:thumbup

Better luck on your trip through Pakistan, but hope it's just as much of an adventure. Maybe add a fire extinguisher to your packing list. Just sayin.

Commend you for your great outlook despite what happened. Glad that you are fine and in one piece to enjoy many more trips in future!

Probably should be retitled NSFB due to horrific motorcycle carnage.

As others have said above, an instant BARF classic thread. You've raised the bar impossibly high for anyone else who dares to post a ride report without decapitated, disemboweled goats and flaming motos.

So true. Once I saw the flames, closure set in. All my thoughts of worry, anxiety, or disparity went up with the flames. It was actually quite calming.

^^^ This! One of those moments when you just suddenly get the meaning of "letting go". Maybe because of all the good & bad things that happened in our lives >> it could be hard to let go.

Great thread!

citizen_cane.gif

Good story, glad to hear you came out relatively unscathed. As a KLR rider I am sorry to see the bike was destroyed. It is a good lesson to those who travel to keep their passport on their person as well as emergency cash and credit card. It may have been a different ending if your passport were in your luggage on the bike.

Best thread ever

Also...

I'm down to donate some $$ to get your roadside angel a motor... I suspect getting it through customs might be a problem, but maybe a barfer can help with that ?

This. I can donate a few.

Also...

I don't think it would be tough to get it through Customs. :teeth

I too would be willing to kick in some $$ for a motor.

Back