• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Solo trip to Baja by bike...plane ride back...NSFW due to animal carnage!

Holy Smokes Dan! Soooo relieved to hear you're okay, and what an experience with the goat food! I am in on the motor fund for your southern family (would be cheaper for us to buy a running Toyota pick-up and drive it down there with a bike in the back - then you could ride back and complete your trip).

This thread will remain unfinished until I return to Baja. I would appreciate anyone who knows of a Toyota 22R engine get a hold of me.

"You will never be completely at home again, because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place".

Author Unknown....Thanks L.L.

Amazing trip, glad you had a good time even though you lose your bike. Materail things in life comes and goes, but the memories you made will last a life time.

Also a really good quote, you will never forget the impact people will make on your life, no matter how long or short you have known them:thumbup

Hey Liam n Ryder....I'm still lining up my options for the engine. Seems like remanufactured engines are similar in price. I was just going to put it in the truck and driven it down next month.

Theres an old toyota in the classifieds. Haul a bike down in it and finish the Journey on the bike!

Also, let me know when I can contribute to the Toyota fund

Don't forget the Reman places usually ask for a complete block in return, within a certain timeframe, or you won't get your core charge back out.

Glad you shared your story with barf, Dan.

I look forward to riding with you in Pakistan :ride

Thx! I'm so looking forward to it. Please excuse the unexpected panic attack upon seeing a goat once we get there!

Then we shall have a spicy feast!!!!!!

Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know I'm :loco?

Wish you were coming on the May tour Aaron!!! I'm sure momo will protect you though.

It's good that we split up the two of you so that there is adequate muscle on both trips. :thumbup

Im sorry to bring up an old thread but I wanted to bring closure to it. I just got back from Baja Sur and delivered the truck engine to Don Julio. Life, work, and Barfistan prevented me from taking care of this earlier. I intentionally did not tell them of my arrival or of the engine. The look on their faces when I pulled in made every minute and every cent it took to accomplish this trip worthwhile.

Their property looked really muddy and different from the last time I visited. The hurricane of last week brought a lot of rain with it and the family lost a lot of their belongings. Don Julio told me that two Korean fisherman who left from Santa Rosalia were lost at sea and there was a desperate looking American who was walking past his house on the highway. The guy stopped for water and kept saying that he needed to check on his family in Cabo as he could not get a hold of them. That is going to be one long walk for that guy.

I told Don Julio that I posted this story and BARF and he really enjoyed that. He promised to keep looking out for the moto community who pass through here. The only thing I would ask from BARF is to share this story with your non BARF friends and have them stop by Julio's house to shake his hand if you/they are down there. Photos of his house are in this thread. As you go south into Baja Sur, the second "big" city is Santa Rosalia. Just past Rosalia is a very very small blip of a town named San Bruno. Don Julio's blue house is the about a half mile south on the left side of the highway.

Id like to thank Nathan at The Auto Shop in Little Portugal Downtown San Jose for ordering and delivering the engine to me as well as getting my truck ready for the long trip. Great folks who run an honest auto shop.

htf9yo.jpg

2cf4oea.jpg

taiuch.jpg

2zz0tmt.jpg

Any guesses on what the salt shakers on either side of the shot glass are made of?

Last edited:
Such a cool ending to such a crazy story. Good on you for acquiring and DELIVERING the engine. You are a fine human being, sir. :party

Great story. Nice to know there are people like you out there!!

Excellent story, excellent ending, excellent writing.
Top top notch ride report story!!

Back