• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Solo trip to Baja by bike...plane ride back...NSFW due to animal carnage!

A friend of mine used to tell me that the difference between a disastrous trip and a great adventure is usually just perspective

So, so true. I'm reminded of a trip I took to Idaho. On the way back, my cooling system melted down and to this day, I look at my subsequent adventures as wonderful and life affirming.

If youve got tge time, you should read his suicide book/letter. Very touching and gives a very unique viewpoint on suicide. Its online. Guys name was Clayton Schwartz.

I think I just found it

http://www.2arms1head.com/

The following is from the above link.....heed this warning. Clayton and I did not follow this rule. I was lucky to walk away.

To digress for a moment, here’s my advice for those who conduct motorcycle safety courses and write the books that go along with them. Include somewhere the following sentence. “If you see an animal on the side of the road ahead of you, slow down immediately.”

Suicide is a very interesting subject for me . Having been born in Japan, I hold traditional views that are different from the West. I have also been directly affected by suicide.

Last edited:
“If you see an animal on the side of the road ahead of you, slow down immediately.”

This is so true. Whenever I see animals around the road I immediately adopt a defensive frame of mind, and slow way way down. I expect the animal to run out in front of me.

I didn't know about Clayton until just now. Sad sad stuff. It's all hard to read.

This is so true. Whenever I see animals around the road I immediately adopt a defensive frame of mind, and slow way way down. I expect the animal to run out in front of me.

I didn't know about Clayton until just now. Sad sad stuff. It's all hard to read.

:::::::: SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVE NOT READ CLAYTONS SUICIDE BOOK/LETTER. DONT READ THE REST OF THIS POST :::::::

Kinda spooky in a way, knowin the last page or so he was gushing blood out of his stomach while typing his final words.

I think I just found it

http://www.2arms1head.com/

The following is from the above link.....heed this warning. Clayton and I did not follow this rule. I was lucky to walk away.

To digress for a moment, here’s my advice for those who conduct motorcycle safety courses and write the books that go along with them. Include somewhere the following sentence. “If you see an animal on the side of the road ahead of you, slow down immediately.”

Suicide is a very interesting subject for me . Having been born in Japan, I hold traditional views that are different from the West. I have also been directly affected by suicide.

Just read the first five chapters and not sure if I'll read any further.
I must admit its got me reconsidering the risks.

Well, that just made just about every effort I've ever made at a ride report look pretty damn weak! :wow You are a very lucky man; luckier still because you know how lucky you are.

BTW, I thought it was "gas, grass, or ass"?

Holy CRAP! Your KLR is a crispy critter! Glad you made it out okay.

I'm pretty sure I don't want a ride on a bike that was halfway up a goat's ass and is now in flames on the side of the road. I'll keep my gas, grass, and ass, thank you very much. :laughing

Don`t write off the KLR!

A couple of tires and a seat,she is good to go. Seriously, there are six wires to make it run, have your buddy drag it back to the homestead, they can fix it with lamp cord.

Ok, I'll admit it ( you know I'm not alone on this ! )

When I read the title " ... ride down, fly back..." I thought; "dang, I wonder what kinda cool adv bike got wasted ? :( "

Then, when I saw that it was just a KLR, I was like *whew*

:twofinger KLR owners

Ok, I'll admit it ( you know I'm not alone on this ! )

When I read the title " ... ride down, fly back..." I thought; "dang, I wonder what kinda cool adv bike got wasted ? :( "

Then, when I saw that it was just a KLR, I was like *whew*
:twofinger KLR owners

I'd be most worried about the fumes from the burning milk crate.

Back