• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Solo trip to Baja by bike...plane ride back...NSFW due to animal carnage!

Actually it looks like the aux plastic gas hit the ground and split, leaking on the exhaust by checking out the first fire pics.

Not a design flaw inherent to a KLR :p

Thank you for posting this excellent ride report! :thumbup

If anyone has any leads on a first generation KLR for sale then plz let me know.

Man, this thread delivered in many ways!

Thanks for taking us along. I do like your sparse no bullshit writing style as well. Probably should consider writing books or something.

Thx for all the kind words.....I have to write a lot of stuff on a daily basis in a different style...those who know me know what I mean....
:)

Actually it looks like the aux plastic gas hit the ground and split, leaking on the exhaust by checking out the first fire pics.

Not a design flaw inherent to a KLR :p

It looks like it but the Rotopax can held up...it didn't spill a drop. It was full of gas and I gave it to Don Julio...it was the Eklipes jumper aux cable that ignited the gas spilling from the carb.

Me alegra saber que estaba en las manos de dios!

Estoy agradecido de todo lo que me ha hecho,El Señor.
Espero que cuide a todos los moteros del mondo.

Last edited:
What an awesome adventure! Glad you made it through!:thumbup

Baja is a bit dangerous. When I did a solo trip there last year, I took a PLB emergency beacon in case I got stranded + lots of tools. You know you're in Mexico, when the rules are reversed and pick-up trucks tail-gate the cop cars until they pull aside to pass them because they are driving too slow.

You have to be careful of those giant pick-up trucks when on the twisty parts. I remember having to floor it after being chased / tail-gated by one of those giant pick-up trucks with the extra large lights around windy sea-cliffs overlooking the ocean (reminded me of the desert chase scene from no country for old-men). The border areas of Mexico are also pretty fishy (especially at night) so it is good idea to know some Spanish or travel in the safety of a group, unless you are an experienced traveller.

I also remember the numerous cattle signs, and I was always paranoid about whamming into a cow at high-speed. (I read an AVrider report before I left, where a Beemer lost its front end after encountering a cow at high speed). After going all the way to the tip of Baja, I thought I was in the clear, but on the ride back, past a mountain cliff around a blind turn, there were a bunch of cattle hanging out on the yellow lines = hard brake = typical Baja.

In Baja there is dirt everywhere, and luckily I only went down once, breaking apart my turn light and putting a big dent in my riding boots and knee pads. It is always good to have some dirt skills when you need to use them and also toolsets to prevent being stranded.

Is Baja worth visiting? Well frankly, most people do not have the adventurous spirit to leave the safety of their country (on 2 wheels) - and/or the majority of people aren't crazy. But if you are looking for adventure and like nature and scenery, then Baja puts Highway 1 - Pacific Coast Highway to shame in all areas. If you time it right, you can go whale watching as whales give birth while in season around the Sea of Cortez.

There are endless miles of ocean coasts and vista, mountain turns, desert, cactuses and plants that seem like they come out of Dr. Seuss books. And the most eerie thing is when riding at night, your imagination starts playing tricks with you, and you can see millions of cactuses waving back at you.

It makes a lot of sense, that people wham into animals, because the scenery is beautiful enough to distract you until it decides to bite you. I hope the OP eventually makes a trip back. Note: A large chunk of the Ensenada highway collapsed a few weeks ago during an earthquake so be careful of unstable roads. (I passed this route, but luckily had no issues): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zetGSt3flq0

Last edited:
Good post guineapig & thanks for sharing ! :thumbup

Yes, thanks for sharing such an adventure! Having gone down to Baja many times, I always go down with a group of one or two dozen. Breakdowns are common, but the adventure of being in a pseudo third world environment can be incredible!

Doing it solo....to me, takes guts, so well done!

I've seen my share of bike breakdowns (no fires though :wow) and injuries, but always, the people were wonderful!

It always never ceases to amaze me how so many could have so little and yet be the most friendly, loving and civilized!

Funny you should post up at this time when I am realizing my neck and shoulders hurt!

Outstanding story, glad you made it back in one piece. I'm in on the group buy for the motor, Don Julio earned it! :cool

Just an FYI, that harness/jumper cable system you had installed has 2 connectors, only one of which is fused. Look no further than that for the source of your fire, the unfused connector or wires probably shorted on the bike frame or were crushed and shorted internally.

Outstanding story, glad you made it back in one piece. I'm in on the group buy for the motor, Don Julio earned it! :cool

Just an FYI, that harness/jumper cable system you had installed has 2 connectors, only one of which is fused. Look no further than that for the source of your fire, the unfused connector or wires probably shorted on the bike frame or were crushed and shorted internally.

Friend, u have solved it....it did get crushed and the wires were cut and glowing. A beverage of your choice on me!

Last edited:
Back