The Retire and Relocate Thread™

23% hispanic (didn’t expect that high)

0.1% asian (probably has disgusting chinese restaurants that serve chop suey)

It is high, but ya gonna need some mexicans if you want good mexican fude!

Yeah that's not a good sign for chinese restaurants.

Don't know where he's from, but it's an hour...max. It's not even 70 miles.

He did say Rome but also said he’s out in the country. Not sure what that means. Showed me pic of crib. Wasn’t too nasty. Separate 3- or 4-bay garage was nice.

Paging ScottRNelson:

I zillowed Nampa, ID. Looks promising. Is it the ghetto of the Meridian area? The Nampa PD has posted some gang activity.

And kindly share tips on choosing airline tix from bay area to Boise. Fly out of Oakland?
The further you get from downtown Boise, the lower the prices of homes and rent, and therefore more lower income people.

The four major cities in the Treasure Valley, from east to west, are Boise, Meridian, Nampa, and Caldwell. There are a bunch of other smaller towns around the edges, mostly to the north. Boise and Meridian are in Ada County while Nampa and Caldwell are in Canyon County. In any of those four cities, if you buy in a newer, more expensive subdivision you'll have nicer neighbors.

You can always check the posts on nextdoor.com to see what people are complaining about. But if I only based my opinion on what I see there, nowhere is safe. People are griping about other people in all of the towns in the area. I have nothing to complain about where I live on the south boundary of Meridian, though.

As for flights in and out of the Boise airport, it's hard to get a direct flight anywhere. It's usually two stops. There are more direct flights to and from Oakland than San Jose, though. Just get on expedia or priceline to see what's available.

He did say Rome but also said he’s out in the country. Not sure what that means. Showed me pic of crib. Wasn’t too nasty. Separate 3- or 4-bay garage was nice.

Did he actually say "out in the county"? That's a common phrase down here. Hell, we technically live out in the county, but we still have an address that says we live in the city when we really aren't even in the city limits. Still, Rome definitely has some nice homes, but it's not really near anything. You can say the same thing for most of North Georgia, though.

Did he actually say "out in the county"? That's a common phrase down here. Hell, we technically live out in the county, but we still have an address that says we live in the city when we really aren't even in the city limits. Still, Rome definitely has some nice homes, but it's not really near anything. You can say the same thing for most of North Georgia, though.

He currently live in the Monterey, CA area and wanted to GTFO so he chose Rome. Yes, he said “out in the country” and also mentioned there’s not much out there.

I live 10 miles from the actual city that is listed on my address but it is what it is. Although I pay out of city taxes on big purchases which saves me like 1%.

Most expensive states to retire: https://www.investopedia.com/articl.../most-expensive-states-retire.asp#citation-23

California
Affordability rank: 49

Tax rate rank: 46
State individual income tax: 1.0% to 13.3%
State sales tax: 7.25%

Estate/inheritance tax: No/no

California has the second-highest cost of living and ranks fifth in terms of tax rates. The individual income top tax rate of 13.3% is the highest among states that impose an individual income tax. Its 2022 tax burden is 13.5% and the state collected $2,411 per capita in state and local taxes (the fourth on the list).

State and local governments collect about $1,840 per person for property taxes. The state sales tax is 7.25% (the highest among the states mentioned here), and the combined rate in special city/county taxing districts can be as high as 8.82%.

Although Social Security and Railroad Retirement benefits are exempt from taxes in California, all other sources of retirement income are fully taxed.

State of California, Franchise Tax Board. "2022 Instructions for Schedule CA (540)California Adjustments – Residents."

That is in the good part of Nampa.

Have you considered Kuna? A bit south and east of there?

I will check it out. Thnx.

Do either Nampa or Meridan have a Pleasanton-esque Main Street? I unsuccessfully google-street viewed parts of Meridian’s Main Street.

And do you often see open carry?

Last edited:
I will check it out. Thnx.

Do either Nampa or Meridan have a Pleasanton-esque Main Street? I unsuccessfully google-street viewed parts of Meridian’s Main Street.

And do you often see open carry?
Nobody has a main street like Pleasanton. Downtown Kuna on Main Street and about N Ave C has a small town feel to it for a few blocks. There is something similar at Main Street and Pine in Meridian. Neither are a place you would want to hang out in the evening like downtown Pleasanton, though.

Both of the guys that I regularly ride motorcycles with carry. I guess it's mostly concealed, though, while their jackets are on. Open carry is quite rare.

Nobody has a main street like Pleasanton. Downtown Kuna on Main Street and about N Ave C has a small town feel to it for a few blocks. There is something similar at Main Street and Pine in Meridian. Neither are a place you would want to hang out in the evening like downtown Pleasanton, though.

Both of the guys that I regularly ride motorcycles with carry. I guess it's mostly concealed, though, while their jackets are on. Open carry is quite rare.

True re: Pleasanton. I’m also looking into Franklin, TN. If you have time, this is their main street, which is called Main Street:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/42z9aQ7J31g5XgNS9?g_st=ic

I had a buddy that lived in TX and recently moved because those TX tax assessors are on the ball and make sure your taxes go up when home prices go up but aren't as diligent when they go down. Sure they don't charge income tax but you are going to pay for it with higher property taxes.

If you are looking to retire also check into what kind of taxes their are on the different types of retirement income you are expecting to receive.

Back