• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

This is our aforementioned single-car garage and there are more than 8 bikes in it :teeth

[...]

And, well, yeah...we do need to move things around sometimes :laughing
That is truly amazing. :laughing

I can visualize when you need to get something at the back out and you've moved enough stuff to fill up your whole driveway outside before you can get to it. I never had to move more than two bikes to get one out of my various jammed-full-of bikes situations.

vaguely remember partying at the red lion inn in Redding in the mid 80s

Red Lion

It's still there. Old farts night is Wednesday. My neighbors dragged me along.

Very nice. What subdivision (name) is this? I'm quite curious and would like to check in to it further. Thanks, Ken

River Ridge Terrace is the Subdivision.
It is on the north west side of town.
The 20 bikes was a Joke (?) but plenty for 4 and the wife's car and any moto friends who stop by for a visit. :)
DT

Oh shit. I was there the same time while going to Shasta College. If I remember correctly, on Tuesdays, the small glasses of beer were $.10 each. Only place I've every bought "a round for the house"!

Ok, escrow just closed!
They are renting back for a few days for cleaning purposes.
Plan moving Rv over next week.:)Out picking a few pieces of new furniture as we liquidated almost all of ours before we moved…..

Congratulations on closing on the house. :thumbup
Out picking a few pieces of new furniture as we liquidated almost all of ours before we moved…..
Last time I moved, we had the Salvation Army come by with a big truck and haul off nearly all of our furniture. We kept the kitchen table, piano, computer cabinet and one or two beds. Then we had the house "staged" to look right for potential buyers. (We didn't allow them to peek in the garage where the rest of our junk was...)

Once we moved, we had to borrow lawn chairs from my wife's brother to have somewhere to sit. We were furniture shopping for about a month before we had everything we needed.

Oh, I am fully prepared to bring in the lounge chairs from the Rv to get us by. :)

Congratulations on closing on the house. :thumbup

Last time I moved, we had the Salvation Army come by with a big truck and haul off nearly all of our furniture. We kept the kitchen table, piano, computer cabinet and one or two beds. Then we had the house "staged" to look right for potential buyers. (We didn't allow them to peek in the garage where the rest of our junk was...)

Once we moved, we had to borrow lawn chairs from my wife's brother to have somewhere to sit. We were furniture shopping for about a month before we had everything we needed.

When we moved, we sold (or something) the bulk of our furniture, and had already done a bunch of shopping. We had arranged for the vendors to hold it until we closed, then we scheduled delivery after that. Most of it we had arrive a couple days before we "moved". We have a sectional piece that we ordered an additional piece for, so when we did arrive, the lone piece was sitting in the middle of the floor before its couchmates arrived.

We also already had the rugs and other things ordered.

We had so much stuff that arrived, we filled a van with cardboard we took to the recycler, and the back patio was a snowdrift of styrofoam (oh man do I hate styrofoam), 4+ feet high. Funny thing, we once took a big load of cardboard to a recycler and they paid us, like, almost $30 for it! I told my wife "I bet we cover most of the van rental with this load!" We got $2.23 for it lol. Guess cardboard doesn't pay what it used to.

I even put the cardboard up on one of those selling apps, see if someone wanted a huge pile for who knows what (considering some of the things I've seen folks build out of cardboard on YouTube, never know what some people may want). No bites, so we recycled it. We did give away about 30 packing boxes.

Anyone familiar with Little Rock?

Huckeby plans on eliminating state income tax.

Check out this crib and its lot size:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4056-Vineyard-Way-Alexander-AR-72002/304854561_zpid/

If you remove one tax, the others are gonna go up. Unless she's going to cut services too, which is doubtful, you can basically bet on it happening that way.

Also, what is the obsession with new construction in the southeast, especially with that ugly farmhouse chic look? Almost none of them are built to the same quality standards homes of 30+ years ago were and it shows. Furthermore, in comparison to that home in Little Rock, my home in Tennessee is only 400 square feet smaller on a 0.81 acre lot and was over $200,000 cheaper. Plus, it's surrounded by mountains so there's something to look at besides an ugly water tower and brown grass. Not to mention there's no bullshit HOA fees.

YMMV :2cents

Never an HOA. It's not worth it.

Little Rock is a high crime area.

You have the internet to do research on cities.

Never an HOA. It's not worth it.

Little Rock is a high crime area.

You have the internet to do research on cities.

was my previous thinking as well. but as it happened, fell in love with a mountain property within an hoa. turned out most of the rules were county (placer) due to being zoned ‘residential forest’. the other incidentals (parking rules, etc.) - no one pays any mind to. attitude is along the lines of ‘we live in the mountains FFS. fuck with me at your peril’. if it matters, they intervene. if it doesn’t - they’re cool. so yeah, they can be a PITA, but they can also be otherwise.

Glad that worked out for you! Sounds like a nice place to live.

My brother lived in an HOA neighborhood, and it was fine until the new person was voted in as the president.

Ok, pretty much official.
Hyper and I are now residents of Redding, Ca.
Escrow closes next week on our (nearly) new home and I cant wait.
We have ben living in our RV with two dogs for some time and I am ready to stretch ouuuut....and have a garage again!
We are on the outskirts on the west side of town in a newer area.
The new digs have what we were looking for at a price we could still afford.
Plenty of room, 3 car ( 20 bike? ) garage, Rv parking with full hook ups, eastern facing for that morning sun etc.
Looking forward to settling in.
DT

Very nice house!

If you remove one tax, the others are gonna go up. Unless she's going to cut services too, which is doubtful, you can basically bet on it happening that way.

Also, what is the obsession with new construction in the southeast, especially with that ugly farmhouse chic look? Almost none of them are built to the same quality standards homes of 30+ years ago were and it shows. Furthermore, in comparison to that home in Little Rock, my home in Tennessee is only 400 square feet smaller on a 0.81 acre lot and was over $200,000 cheaper. Plus, it's surrounded by mountains so there's something to look at besides an ugly water tower and brown grass. Not to mention there's no bullshit HOA fees.

YMMV :2cents

8===D ~*~*

Glad that worked out for you! Sounds like a nice place to live.

My brother lived in an HOA neighborhood, and it was fine until the new person was voted in as the president.

yeah - that's a risk. have found out that mountain people are kind of a breed though. apparently, a few years before we bought, there was a serious rule follower 'keeping track and taking names'. it didn't end well for them. they were informed they might want to find a more suitable place to live (GTFO). in the old west version, it would have involved being tied backwards on a horse, and its ass being slapped. even the county peeps are nervous to come up here.

so the HOA is more of a 'gather the immediate property owners together in cooperation' sort of thing. that - i can tolerate. especially when shit hits the fan, which has happened (e.g. snomageddon and a major wildfire), and everyone pulls together like a well oiled machine.

Back