The Retire and Relocate Thread™

Ya, Paradise was on my radar for a while but wife wanted more infrastructure.
For a while there were some really nice places for sale at reasonable pricing. They seem to be gone and pricing closer to Chico or Redding now.
Most of Magalia seems prime for it's own burn. Made me nervous driving though as it looked like Paradise before the burn.
Also, a bit red-necky for my tastes.
DT

Wife and I went to Paradise for whatever reason twenty-something years ago and we're sitting at a stoplight chatting, waiting for the light to turn green. There's this dodge caravan across the street in the oncoming lane also waiting for the light and this gray haired guy in a jean jacket and trucker hat gets out of the passenger side, which is weird, because you don't usually see people get out of a car at a light. We're wondering what he's up to when he gets over to the sidewalk and pukes like a gallon of beer foam, then keeps walking down the street. He didn't do any back arching, no hands on his knees like he's miserable, just tilts his head down, ejects a gallon of foam, doesn't even wipe his face, and walks away like nothing happened. Wife and I looked at each other like, oh we in the sticks now!

But it really seems so much different from back then. Maybe in twenty years all these nice new manufactured homes with neat/clean yards will be tweeker shacks with trash everywhere, but for now it's pretty nice. I hate to think of that horrific fire in any sort of positive light, but it's transformed the area and seems to be brining things more current.

Yeah I wouldn't consider the northern parts where it didn't burn.

Pricing is still better than Chico I think. If the criteria were simply "a decent place to live", then I think you're looking at a minimum of $350k in Chico and $250k in Paradise, but if you wanted apples to apples with no manufactured homes, it's probably more like $325k minimum for Paradise, so very close.

Redding pricing is great, moreso if you're looking at the entire area from Red Bluff to Redding. You're not gonna find anything like this around Sac/Auburn/Grass Valley/Chico/Paradise/etc. But it does get hot as shit up there, usually 5-10 degrees hotter than Sac.

Last edited:
Yep, Anderson area has some great deals if you don’t mind living out a bit.
We just come from living out of town on 20 acres so it didn’t appeal to us.
As for the heat, we plan on getting out of town during some of the hot spells with the Rv.
Meanwhile we have been enjoying the fall/winter weather.:)
DT

Wifey grew up in Paradise. No sewage system. Yeah, infrastructure.

Well, that was a problem that they are finally starting to rectify.
I heard they are starting in the business district and will slowly work out to the residential areas.
DT

I like our septic system. As long as the bacterial feng shui is going on and you're not exceeding the leach field capabilities, they'll run that natural cycle forever. And I like wells and solar, infrastructure independence is rad.

Bad for business though.
It kept Safeway from remodeling their store in Paradise for years as the city was requiring them to upgrade the septic for the entire shopping center….it was cost prohibitive.
So they just lipped the store along for years

Wifey grew up in Paradise. No sewage system. Yeah, infrastructure.

They're very common in our neck of the woods. Took some getting comfortable with the idea of having a tank under the backyard lawn.

I like our septic system. As long as the bacterial feng shui is going on and you're not exceeding the leach field capabilities, they'll run that natural cycle forever.

It's gotten to the point that I just forget about the fact that we have one. Since there's only two of us in this house with a tank designed for a family of five, we're essentially never going to have to service the system presuming we don't have another issue unrelated to the septic tank and leach field itself. That said, we don't have a garbage disposal and, of course, I was used to always having one up until when we moved here. Indeed, I never even though to check to see if the kitchen sink had one just because I'm used to always expecting one to be there. It was interesting finding out a few days later after we moved in. :laughing I have no intention on adding one at this point...you can have them with septic systems, but there are limits.

That's funny, I've heard that before about the disposal. I guess they're not much of a thing in europe either.

We're under utilizing our septic too, three people for a septic of five. Ours has been untouched for ten years, but we minimize things like bleach and add beneficials for the bacteria once in a while.

They're very common in our neck of the woods. Took some getting comfortable with the idea of having a tank under the backyard lawn.

It's gotten to the point that I just forget about the fact that we have one. Since there's only two of us in this house with a tank designed for a family of five, we're essentially never going to have to service the system presuming we don't have another issue unrelated to the septic tank and leach field itself. That said, we don't have a garbage disposal and, of course, I was used to always having one up until when we moved here. Indeed, I never even though to check to see if the kitchen sink had one just because I'm used to always expecting one to be there. It was interesting finding out a few days later after we moved in. :laughing I have no intention on adding one at this point...you can have them with septic systems, but there are limits.

we're similar to you - septic system spec'd for much larger occupancy than the two of us. have zero issues with having that sort of system. only accommodation is being careful what we put down the drain - for instance, less bleach in the laundry, and i paint, and had to develop an evaporation system for washing my brushes. no big imposition though.

where we drew the line when we were looking for property was water. didn't want to be on a well. too sketchy. passed on some really great properties due to that. we landed in an awesome spot. as it turned out, our itty bitty town owns sugar pine reservoir. we all get our water from there. the water was tested as part of our home inspection - crazy pure. it's truly amazing - straight out of the tap. and we can tell a huge difference from when we lived in the BA, which had shit water, and also a shit sewer system (battled both our entire time there).

I've read so much bad stuff about using things like RidX that we've just never bothered using it. As for bleach, well, Kelly's a nurse so you know she's addicted to that crap. Every toilet has a bleach tablet in the tank and she uses bleach to pretty much clean EVERYTHING. God I hate that smell :green However, I don't think we're coming anywhere near enough in usage to kill off the bacteria in the tank...but I'll remind her about it again. :laughing

As for the disposal, yeah I miss having one sometimes but it's just not worth the hassle that can be caused with a septic system. Scrape dishes off in the trash can and toss it in the dishwasher. :thumbup

For our water source, it's a bit of a weird anomaly here as we're on the city's water system, but the sewer system stops at the main road that comes out to our house. It's odd that the sewer line was definitely there when the house was built back in the 80s but the developer didn't want to connect to it for some reason. They only tapped into the water main. :dunno

Septic systems are cool and very natch.

They just won’t support large populations. We humans seem to tend towards growing the economy and population.

Damn this sustainability thing.

My garbage disposal actually injects some bacteria into the disposal as its grinding away supposed to help with the break down of foods and stuff.

Didn't quote it but I have used RidX and haven't had any issues. I actually put it the farthest toilet from the tank because I found out the main sewer line decided to take a dip in middle of the house and water and crap collects there and causes a weird not going down the drain issue once crap gets caught there and builds up so I figure if I can get the bacteria in there is will help dissolve that gunk so far its been good but we also do a hot water bolus once a month to help flush it out.

I’ve had septic for decades with (knock on wood) no issues. Liked well water but had one that turned everything orange from a ´rust’ bacteria. Now have town water which is from
a pristine mountain lake with no industry or agriculture to sully it.
My mom moved from city to ex-urbs where she has septic now. City dad installed a garbage disposal when remodeling, unaware of the eventual outcome. After three septic pumpings in 8 years including basement backflow, ewww, I figured out the problem. Actually I came upon members of my family stuffing entire footlong sub sandwiches, pizzas, you name it down there. They don’t believe me really but have at least tried to not do that when I am present. They don’t want to attract bears to the trash so now freeze waste food until garbage day.
I practice as they do in most of the rest of the world. Pee paper goes to covered trash, emptied daily, but I do vary a bit and allow poo paper to go down. With two people it is working. Clearly TMI tho. YMMV.

Last edited:
FWIW

2023-sales-tax-rates-by-state-midyear.png

Not worth much :). Whole country other than those 4 states are close enough. There is more to it, like in NV we do not pay sale tax on used vehicles from private party. Or fuel tax not following those rates.

Back