The Retire and Relocate Thread™

Nice but what is with the bars on the upstairs windows? Or is that a walk out balcony below the roof line? Either way its kind of weird.
If you look carefully, you can see a railing near the front door. It's the same thing upstairs on the balcony, or whatever that is, but because of the angle of the photo it looks higher than it is.

If that house is big enough, it's one to consider. It has plenty of land, if that's what you want. Personally, I'm starting to wish for an even smaller yard than I have, which isn't that large. More to take care of.

The price seems a bit high, but that can be negotiated. What will it take to finally start making offers on houses in Idaho?

That is a pretty good article on skimming thru.

Had not heard about the driver's license swap in portugal, that's pretty sweet.

Current temp at midnight in the east bay: 43.

While in Nampa, ID: 30. And 28-40 the next few days. Not too frigid. When I’m retired I could spend a month or so in warmer climate.

Nampa, ID forecast for sat jan 12:

4 low
17 high

Fun times. Nice meeting everyone.

lotta coast involved there. huge debate around that between me and my babe. he's portuguese, and for him it was either the coast there or here. for me it was the mountains. here. i don't plant my foot firmly that often, but there was no fucking way i was moving anywhere near the coast. mold being the primary issue. i'm like a canary in a coal mine when it comes to that shit. i can put one foot in the door of a coastal property and smell it. and there's no fucking way i'm putting up with that shit.

weird bit is, now that we're in the mountains, he's gone full on native. total fucking barely civilized mountain man. took to it like a duck to water. anyone who met him would swear he was born up here.

Last edited:
Another “best place to retire” source:

https://www.bestboomertowns.com/prescotts-historical-walking-tours/

Their list:

Best 21 U.S. Places for Retirement

Aiken, South Carolina
Asheville, North Carolina
Ashland, Oregon
Athens, Georgia
Austin, Texas
Bend, Oregon
Camarillo, California
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Charlottesville, Virginia
Columbia, Missouri
Danville, Kentucky
Fort Collins, Colorado
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Maryville, Tennessee
Paso Robles, California
Pinehurst, North Carolina
Prescott, Arizona
Reno, Nevada
St. George, Utah
Tucson, Arizona
Villages, Florida

I can highly recommend retiring in Australia or New Zealand. Spent quite a bit of time in both countries and they're equally epic for their own reasons. Super friendly people, low crime rate, health system that's very practical and promotes self-care.

Portugal I would've recommended 10 years ago when they had their expat visa that reduced taxes by 25% for the first 5 years, but that honeymoon will soon be over as the country was flooded and locals revolted as they got a really bad deal due to it.

Austria, Spain, and Italy are super chill, low cost of living, and as long as you live near the larger cities you've got all the amenities you need. We go to Italy quite often, and fell in love with Sicily - so I'm hoping that it remains what it is now when we retire.

Camarillo? :laughing

I spent my high school years there and while I'll assume it has grown quite a bit in the decades since, I highly doubt it's an affordable place to retire. The cost of living is high and it's essentially a residential community with nothing but an outlet center and a bunch of strip malls. :dunno

I can highly recommend retiring in Australia or New Zealand. Spent quite a bit of time in both countries and they're equally epic for their own reasons. Super friendly people, low crime rate, health system that's very practical and promotes self-care.

Portugal I would've recommended 10 years ago when they had their expat visa that reduced taxes by 25% for the first 5 years, but that honeymoon will soon be over as the country was flooded and locals revolted as they got a really bad deal due to it.

Austria, Spain, and Italy are super chill, low cost of living, and as long as you live near the larger cities you've got all the amenities you need. We go to Italy quite often, and fell in love with Sicily - so I'm hoping that it remains what it is now when we retire.

I believe you moved to Japan about 17-18 years ago. Yes? I know TokyoDelicious moved to Japan the same time.

Re: Portugal.

Visited in 1990. Love.

Visited again 2006. Still loved Lisbon but discovered Lagos was ruined. I remember curiously shopping for a Lisbon flat. Was pricey for me then. Ugh. Should’ve pulled the trigger.

Current sitch: Friend bought condo in Porto 2 years ago. She said PT flooded by American retirees. I’ve read some Americans can’t assimilate and move back to the US.

Last edited:
You have to know yourself before making a move like that. Do you rage when the internet is down, or when a delivery is a few days late, or when there aren't enough shopping options, or do you live and die by app-based services? Obviously good versions of all these things exist throughout Europe, but if one answers yes to them, it's symbolic of a somewhat entitled(cough*american*cough) mindset that's probably not going to mesh very well over there.

Another “best place to retire” source:

https://www.bestboomertowns.com/prescotts-historical-walking-tours/

Their list:

Best 21 U.S. Places for Retirement

Aiken, South Carolina HUMIDITY
Asheville, North Carolina HUMIDITY
Ashland, Oregon MAYBE
Athens, Georgia HUMIDITY
Austin, Texas HUMIDITY POLITICS
Bend, Oregon MAYBE
Camarillo, California ?
Chapel Hill, North Carolina HUMIDITY
Charlottesville, Virginia HUMIDITY
Columbia, Missouri HUMIDITY
Danville, Kentucky HUMIDITY
Fort Collins, Colorado ?
Las Cruces, New Mexico HOT
Maryville, Tennessee HUMIDITY
Paso Robles, California $$
Pinehurst, North Carolina HUMIDITY
Prescott, Arizona HOT
Reno, Nevada NO
St. George, Utah HOT
Tucson, Arizona HOT
Villages, Florida HUMIDITY POLITICS

My thoughts on the list. You can guess I do not like humidity.

Some degree of humididty is how you avoid wildfires. If you want trees and not fires, that's the trade.

I believe you moved to Japan about 17-18 years ago. Yes? I know TokyoDelicious moved to Japan the same time.

Current sitch: Friend bought condo in Porto 2 years ago. She said PT flooded by American retirees. I’ve read some Americans can’t assimilate and move back to the US.

Nah, never been to Japan yet. It's on the travel list. But I lived in Australia and had a stint in New Zealand. Used those places as a hub to travel around Asia and South Pacific.

You have to know yourself before making a move like that. Do you rage when the internet is down, or when a delivery is a few days late, or when there aren't enough shopping options, or do you live and die by app-based services? Obviously good versions of all these things exist throughout Europe, but if one answers yes to them, it's symbolic of a somewhat entitled(cough*american*cough) mindset that's probably not going to mesh very well over there.

Europe definitely has a slower pace and people here trade immediate gratification for the greator good of the community. Everyone seems to understand things take time, and are willing to wait. This takes some getting used to, but you appreciate it over time.

RE: Assimilation. I see it with Eastern Europeans / Indians / Britians in places like Amsterdam and Zürich somewhat often. The difference between Americans and the other cultures seem to be that Americans expect everything to be like it is in America, and bitch consistently that it isn't. The one area that I see Americans excel here is work hustle. Very easy to get yourself to the top of you've got a strong work ethic.

Europe definitely has a slower pace and people here trade immediate gratification for the greator good of the community. Everyone seems to understand things take time, and are willing to wait. This takes some getting used to, but you appreciate it over time.

This is a human filter I find attractive and I think we're pretty well prepared for it. Ten years ago we moved to the sticks and are already acclimated to these "issues".

This is a human filter I find attractive and I think we're pretty well prepared for it. Ten years ago we moved to the sticks and are already acclimated to these "issues".

Since moving to Switzerland where Amazon isn't a thing. Most people here don't order much online at all, but actually take the time to go to the shops and outlets. I forgot about how you can make a day out of a shopping trip, people watch and chill at a cafe, take your time and relax in the process.

Some degree of humididty is how you avoid wildfires. If you want trees and not fires, that's the trade.

Doesn't really explain Texas right now. They've got plenty of humidity and yet have the largest wildfire in state history burning right now. :dunno

Back