• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

You guys weird as fuck, if you going to some random small town out of state, just move to some random small town in Cali.

Y'all acting like ALL of Cali real estate has gone crazy, a good majority yes but not hit as hard for those crazy rural places 1hr out of a major city

Tell us you're not ready to invest and settle down, without telling us you're not ready to invest and settle down. :laughing

So starting from the midwest all the way to the Atlantic is a no go for me.
I have to be west of the continental divide. And I have to be able to see mountains. :x

The idea of some places being too crowded has come up a few times. That's what made the difference when we were down to two choices, Utah or Idaho. Utah is just too crowded between Ogden and Provo. Actually parts of Idaho are too, but we only looked south of I-84 as it goes between Boise and Nampa. We're on the very south end of Meridian and can be in open farmland in five minutes if we keep going south. But all of the larger stores and things are available by driving less than half an hour. Okay, I'll admit that it's a pain riding through the whole populated area when I want to take a ride in the hills to the north, which is the majority of the time. But after that 20 minutes of that the riding is wonderful. :ride

The criminal landlord just jacked my rent from $800/month to $900! Can you believe we pay $900/month for this shitty view? And our power bill was $40usd for two months! Water included. Garbage is part of the benefit of property taxes..and removed no less than 3x a week.
Tennessee, Florida and Washington provide property tax exemptions for 100% SCD Vets. Taxes in Tennessee are ridiculously cheap, not so much in Washington and Florida.

We didn’t leave California because we didn’t love living in Cotati. We moved because of the ridiculous nut required every month to live there.

Attachments

• 39EA9CB2-8A5D-45E6-A7EF-0F5B8F56500F.jpeg
    39EA9CB2-8A5D-45E6-A7EF-0F5B8F56500F.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 33
The criminal landlord just jacked my rent from $800/month to $900! Can you believe we pay $900/month for this shitty view? And our power bill was $40usd for two months! Water included. Garbage is part of the benefit of property taxes..and removed no less than 3x a week.
Tennessee, Florida and Washington provide property tax exemptions for 100% SCD Vets. Taxes in Tennessee are ridiculously cheap, not so much in Washington and Florida.

We didn’t leave California because we didn’t love living in Cotati. We moved because of the ridiculous nut required every month to live there.

Cabo sounds (and looks) like paradise. That's my problem too, my utilities alone are several hundred dollars a month, my mortgage payment is ehh, ok, but the property taxes on top of that are the killer. I love Pleasanton but I gotta stay on the treadmill to keep everything going.
Wife doesn't want to retire yet so...

I love Pleasanton but I gotta stay on the treadmill to keep everything going.
I lived there for 25 years. Just loved the place the first 23 of those years. Then moved to Folsom for five years, and I loved living there too. When I moved back to Pleasanton - to put in my two years for tax purposes - before selling and moving out, I had a different point of view and was able to see a lot of undesirable things about the town. The biggest one was that it had gotten so much more crowded there compared to when we left for Folsom. I'm sorry to admit that I no longer loved Pleasanton by the time we moved out of there. But if you're going to live in the Bay Area, it would still be one of my top choices. :cool

It's Tri Cities, Washington so probably not an S-Class, probably a diesel F-250 King Ranch that "I nEeD fOr My BuSiNeSs" but only hauls a boat twice a year. :laughing
I haven't lived in that region since 1978, but back then I would have never imagined that anybody would want to spend more than $100k for a house in Kennewick! :twofinger

Moscow, ID priced must be sky high now!

You must be feeling the effects of hurricane Kay by now.
How are things around there, hope you don't get hit too hard.

I haven't lived in that region since 1978, but back then I would have never imagined that anybody would want to spend more than $100k for a house in Kennewick! :twofinger

Moscow, ID priced must be sky high now!

Prices are high in the Tri Cities. It is a secret tech hub :shhh

I never thought I would have to do business trips to Hermiston, Oregon. :laughing

You could always move on from sportbikes and ride a bike the forces you to slow down and smell the roses you're passing. One advantage is that they're much bigger so other vehicles see you. :twofinger :afm199

I don't own a sport bike, the Hyper was the closest to one.

Elevation mentioned is about local temps, cooler as you gain elevation.
??????

I'd love to move somewhere where I can have some land to spread out on, a big house with a pool and low mortgage.

But what about good Tacos? Taiwanese food? Shawerma?

I guarantee the Tacos in Coeur D'Alene are crappy. Forget about the shawerma.

When I search for couer d'alene on zillow and filter by 2 acres and 1 bedroom, the cheapest property is 699k. Remove boundary at default scale and it drops to 375k, but it's a shitty 70's single-wide tweeker shack. You can live with tweekers for a lot less than that.

I lived there for 25 years. Just loved the place the first 23 of those years. Then moved to Folsom for five years, and I loved living there too. When I moved back to Pleasanton - to put in my two years for tax purposes - before selling and moving out, I had a different point of view and was able to see a lot of undesirable things about the town. The biggest one was that it had gotten so much more crowded there compared to when we left for Folsom. I'm sorry to admit that I no longer loved Pleasanton by the time we moved out of there. But if you're going to live in the Bay Area, it would still be one of my top choices. :cool

I've been here for over 20 years. It's a great place to raise a family, the schools are all rated a 10, the two high schools have a 98% graduation rate, very low crime rate, wide tree lined streets, vibrant and quaint downtown, Alameda Co Fairgrounds are located here, nice weather, huge turnouts for soccer games, etc.
But, there's nothing to do here on a Saturday night after 9:00 because everyone's home with their kids.
My 18 year old finds it extremely boring and moved to SF where she's closer to the DNA nightclub, etc.
I suppose it depends on where you are in life.

Isn't the mosquito the state bird of Alaska? :laughing

Nuh-uh they can't steal our state bird. It is on now those snow living mofos.

:laughing I am going to visit Southern Louisiana in about a Month. :laughing

Where at El dirty? SE side or SW side? If your going to Nawlins you picked the wrong time of year. You have to hit that shit when its cold otherwise the super heated vomit smell will make you want to add to it.

When I lived in New Orleans back in the mid 80's, the murder rate went from 3/week to 7/day during mid july to end of August time period and the temp/humidity was 100 degrees and 100 percent. It just drove folks crazy who couldn't affort AC.

Isn't the mosquito the state bird of Alaska? :laughing

I've heard that once or twice. I wouldn't necessarily deny it either. :laughing

:laughing I am going to visit Southern Louisiana in about a Month. :laughing

Thanks for the invite. :x

Kelly and I are planning on getting down to NOLA soon, too.

My parents retired 6 months ago. Sold practically everything in Chicago and became “fair weather fowl”. Splitting their time between the vacation property in Wisconsin and their new custom home in Huntsville, AL.

Something to do with H’ville and space force :dunno

I go to Huntsville at least once a month. Let me know when you're in town...assuming you decide to visit your 'rents. :laughing

I have to be west of the continental divide. And I have to be able to see mountains. :x

That's the reason I chose the part of the state I live in. I need mountains. There's plenty of them here. :love

Hey Korn, have you had anyone come up and ask (read in southern drawl) “What church do you belong to?” yet?

:rofl no! Not a single person has even asked me to join them on Sunday yet. However, I did see this the other day and now I'm really starting to wonder...

https://www.tiktok.com/@the_realist...1&sender_device=pc&web_id=7140767165619848746

Also this, though... :laughing

https://www.tiktok.com/@dashmannash...1&sender_device=pc&web_id=7140767165619848746

You guys weird as fuck, if you going to some random small town out of state, just move to some random small town in Cali.

Some of us are tired of paying high taxes in CA. Newsom said there’s a $65B surplus. Well we were overtaxed so return it to the taxpayer. But no, now he announces free healthcare to illegal aliens at a cost of $64B. (Excuse divergence into politics).

State by state comparison of taxes:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/a-comparison-state-tax-rates.html

Last edited:
Back