• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The sailing nerd-out thread

Dang that thing looks funny/peculiar

How fast upwind?
Sail it like a cat? Not too close hauled upwind, looking for boat speed?
Can flukey wind push it off the flying foil over to the raised foil?
Any idea on minimum wind speed for the race?

Dang that thing looks funny/peculiar

How fast upwind?
Sail it like a cat? Not too close hauled upwind, looking for boat speed?
Can flukey wind push it off the flying foil over to the raised foil?
Any idea on minimum wind speed for the race?

:thumbup

[YOUTUBE]syP1cQw8v_o[/YOUTUBE]

get the impression they are still trying to figure minimum wind speed?:

When comparing the sail plans (Figure 4), the lower rig height of the AC75 is the first obvious difference. The AC75 will weigh slightly more than the AC72, and twice as much as the AC50, which means it will struggle in light winds and down-speed maneuvering. With less drag on the sail plan and foils, however, the AC75 should be strong once it’s up and going in strong winds.

Performance of any America’s Cup class at the bottom end of the wind range is vital for television coverage. The AC50’s ability to sail at four times windspeed in just 6kts of wind usually meant racing could commence on schedule.

The AC75 is not expected to perform at quite that level, but its performance should not be too shabby - particularly with the addition of a large Code Zero headsail to provide some extra sail area and grunt.

Exploring The Generation 1 America’s Cup 75
“Naval architect Scott Ferguson examines the first-generation AC75 designs.”
SailingWorld.com, 02/25/2020
Considerations of whether the America’s Cup races in Auckland in 2021 will be sailed in foiling conditions or how often or in what windspeed will a team drop off the foils when tacking is important. There is likely much discussion about the minimum true-windspeed in which these boats will race. One thing is for sure, the racing will be pretty boring to watch if these AC75s are not foiling.

:dunno

was never a big fan of multi-hulls in the AC ... idk.

Last edited:
i love the idea of sailing everywhere, but i'll never do it.

so, i pacify my laziness by WATCHING other people building sweet wooden boats.

acorn to arabella
https://www.youtube.com/c/AcornToArabella/videos

sampson boat co
https://www.youtube.com/c/SampsonBoatCo/videos

both projects are pretty amazing, and evidently there are a LOT more boat builds on youtube but those 2 have kept me enthralled

Cheater method

https://www.clcboats.com/index.php

it's on my to do list :cry

It's funny. I almost drove to Northern Washington last week to buy a sweet 50' catamaran that someone posted on Craigslist for ~$50K. It turned out that he accidentally left a zero off the end in his original post because when I looked again, the listing said, $506K.

I don't know if I missed out or dodged a bullet. :teeth

It's funny. I almost drove to Northern Washington last week to buy a sweet 50' catamaran that someone posted on Craigslist for ~$50K. It turned out that he accidentally left a zero off the end in his original post because when I looked again, the listing said, $506K.

I don't know if I missed out or dodged a bullet. :teeth

dodging a bullet phrased differently is missing out so i'd say: both

dodging a bullet phrased differently is missing out so i'd say: both

Man, it was nice dreaming about taking a couple weeks off to sail that baby back down here though. It was a good dream while it lasted. 😊

Can anyone confirm what the taxes are on a sailboat in California? I’m reading 10% sales tax and 1% annual luxury tax. Is this true, or is my google-fu failing me?

And, how is the assessment value for the luxury tax calculated?

Depends on the county for sales tax in CA. Anywhere from 7.5-10%. San Francisco is 10%. Annual registration isnt bad, but depending on the county they will ding you with a "Luxury," actually a property tax separately, San Francisco is 1%.

If you don't provide your county with sales information, they can put an arbitrary value on the boat and really ding you. Years ago had to go back and forth on one particular boat and its value. It ended after I offered to sell the boat the to tax assessor for 10% of his assessed value and suggested he pocket the difference. :laughing

If your marina doesnt report to the county, you may be able to skip this tax. Or if a smaller boat you keep on a trailer, the county will never know its there unless you tell them. Many marinas, including my current one, reports to them. So be prepared with some sort of paperwork to validate the value you put on the boat.

In some marinas, generally municipally owned, the city or county will also charge you property tax on the slip you rent. Not all, but some do. Make sure to ask about that before signing an lease. I pay property tax to the city for the slip I rent from them. Talk about a kick in the balls. :x Buts it minor, a couple hundred dollars a year.

I've grown up on boats and owned many over the years. A few pieces of advice.

Boats don't have to be a money pit if you are willing to do most if not all the maintenance yourself. Project boats are more often than not more expensive in the long run than turn key boats for a bit more money. If you don't have experience, do NOT buy a such a boat. Even worse, the free boats. Most expensive of all of them. Not kidding. :laughing You manage the big costs of ownership during that initial purchase and properly assessing anything wrong and/or the life left in major components at that time. Again, experience.

Lastly, it's just as much fun to sail a $3500 Santana 22, sometimes even more so, as it is to sail a million dollar 70' Swan luxury yacht. Unless you are racing, there isn't anywhere to get to fast. Even a 25' boat in 25 knts of wind with the rail down through ebb chop feels like 200 mph.... and then surfing a keel boat offshore in big swell. :teeth

Its all about spending time on the water.

Last edited:
^^^ Thank you! This is all good advice.

But, yeah, I learned how expensive free motorcycles are. I can only imagine how much more expensive free boats are.

I’m patient. I can wait.

Lastly, it's just as much fun to sail a $3500 Santana 22, sometimes even more so, as it is to sail a million dollar 70' Swan luxury yacht. Unless you are racing, there isn't anywhere to get to fast. Even a 25' boat in 25 knts of wind with the rail down through ebb chop feels like 200 mph.... and then surfing a keel boat offshore in big swell. :teeth

Its all about spending time on the water.

UBN_1-0611.1618.jpg

have a friend who has a Flicka 20, and I have a dream of sailing down to Baja and doing the Sea of Cortez someday ... :laughing:gsxrgrl

The Flicka is a 20-foot boat that is built and designed for bluewater sailing and extended cruising. But unlike other accomplished small cruisers like the folkboat, Cal 25, Contessa 26, or Albin Vega 27, the Flicka is really a big boat shoehorned into a very short waterline.

Island hopping for a surf vacation on a decent sized catamaran with a satellite dish for internet seems like a pretty awesome "work from home" setup at the moment...talked about it with a buddy a while back, we figured for the price of a house in the bay area we could get a pretty friggin sweet catamaran that would easily accommodate 4 people.

Example :

https://www.leopardcatamarans.com/catamarans/leopard-50

As a novice sailor compared to most, I can attest to the feeling that six knots while heeled over on the San Francisco Bay can feel like sixty MPH in tight twistys on 9/35 in the Santa Cruz Mtns.

After four-plus years of sailing, takes ten knots to get that feeling. ;)

Echoing comments on property and sales taxes. Thought that was properly paid when we went through escrow. Got a nasty bill in arrears that bit more than a bit.

As a novice sailor compared to most, I can attest to the feeling that six knots while heeled over on the San Francisco Bay can feel like sixty MPH in tight twistys on 9/35 in the Santa Cruz Mtns.

After four-plus years of sailing, takes ten knots to get that feeling. ;)

Echoing comments on property and sales taxes. Thought that was properly paid when we went through escrow. Got a nasty bill in arrears that bit more than a bit.

:thumbup Where in the State of Jefferson do you live?

UBN_1-0611.1618.jpg

have a friend who has a Flicka 20, and I have a dream of sailing down to Baja and doing the Sea of Cortez someday ... :laughing:gsxrgrl

I could TOTALLY see you on a Flicka doing remote anchorages and camping on desert beaches. My father had a similar boat, the Pacifica Seacraft 25 (I think) he lived aboard for a time in Portland OR.

I spent yesterday shopping for a new to me sailboat, trying to get into a newer Catalina 30 or 28. Preferably the 30.

UBN_1-0611.1618.jpg

Are you my long lost brother? Seriously I kick the escape to Baja idea around about once a month. We used to spring break down there on whatever deserted beach we could find and the sea of Cortez is amazing.

Do you listen to “this American Life”? They just did an episode on going to the beach that included a story about getting amateur chiropractic work done in the middle of nowhere Baja. I listened to it while I was working at the mill and felt like I should be completely reevaluating my life choices. Barf regatta to anywhere?

[YOUTUBE]aA970qVzczg[/YOUTUBE]

“The AC75 (America's Cup 75 class) is a 75ft foiling monohull sailboat class, governing the construction and operation of the yachts to be used in the 2021 America's Cup.”

liking the monohull compared to the AC50 used in 2017 ... :dunno

:party

The chase boats had to be upgraded...so they could keep up. I've been following The AC since Dennis Conner did his best to hide his keel in the late 80's. I have a scale RC Il Moro and Stars And Stripes boats from Victor Boats that I built in the mid to late 90's that I still sail today. It's amazing how far tech has progressed. The cats were cool, but my favorite races to watch are still the old slow and big monos.

I could TOTALLY see you on a Flicka doing remote anchorages and camping on desert beaches. My father had a similar boat, the Pacifica Seacraft 25 (I think) he lived aboard for a time in Portland OR.

I spent yesterday shopping for a new to me sailboat, trying to get into a newer Catalina 30 or 28. Preferably the 30.

you know me, I talk a lot ... :blah

been having fun googling “Catalina 30” this am ... :laughing:gsxrgrl

Are you my long lost brother? Seriously I kick the escape to Baja idea around about once a month. We used to spring break down there on whatever deserted beach we could find and the sea of Cortez is amazing.

Do you listen to “this American Life”? They just did an episode on going to the beach that included a story about getting amateur chiropractic work done in the middle of nowhere Baja. I listened to it while I was working at the mill and felt like I should be completely reevaluating my life choices. Barf regatta to anywhere?

I’m sure I’ll hear that “This American Life” episode, soon enough ... it would be pretty cool to be in Bahia de Los Angeles on a sailboat and meet up with a BARF Baja crew at the Los Vientos hotel’s campfire pit on the beach ... :party

The chase boats had to be upgraded...so they could keep up. I've been following The AC since Dennis Conner did his best to hide his keel in the late 80's. I have a scale RC Il Moro and Stars And Stripes boats from Victor Boats that I built in the mid to late 90's that I still sail today. It's amazing how far tech has progressed. The cats were cool, but my favorite races to watch are still the old slow and big monos.

man, those were the days, trying to keep up with “strict” Deed of Gift issues. Can’t remember if it was Skipper Connor’s idea to go multi-hull in ‘88 after the NY courts killed the 12 meters ...?

372px-Dennis-Conner-America-s-Cup_cropped.jpg

how awesome was the mighty KZ1, though ...?

attachment.php

your model sailboats sound cool ... we have a pretty active model boat club in San Francisco. be pretty fun to “own” one of the sailboats I loved as a kid ... :ride

Attachments

• 4C1319AC-2C9E-4382-9DA7-B2C304BC17EA.jpeg
    4C1319AC-2C9E-4382-9DA7-B2C304BC17EA.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
All I can figure out, foil broke.
Maybe the lateral section bent up for a bit to raise the bow, then snapped off, stuffing the bow.

some crazy AC75 crash pics/vids on the web ... they should be quite a spectacle in 2021. :gsxrgrl

Last edited:
man, those were the days, trying to keep up with “strict” Deed of Trust issues. Can’t remember if it was Skipper Connor’s idea to go multi-hull in ‘88 after the NY courts killed the 12 meters ...?

I race at Balboa Lake when I have the time, and am an AMYA member. I'm pretty active in RC. I race cars and sailboats, and fly RC of all kinds (except quad copters). I've raced cats off the coast too, but not "offshore". The fastest boat we had was a Nacra 20. On one hull that thing was fast as shit! Being on the trapeze was a rush!

Back