• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time To Get Fit - 2024

Sounds like your warmups are to actually heat up the muscles. Makes sense.

Food for thought. There's a lot of evidence that static stretching decreases muscle strength. This suggests it should not be performed before a workout. Keyword there is "static". Dynamic stretching is kinda just using the muscles over their entire range. But how slow and how far do you need to go until you are doing static stretching...

Sounds like your warmups are to actually heat up the muscles. Makes sense.

Food for thought. There's a lot of evidence that static stretching decreases muscle strength. This suggests it should not be performed before a workout. Keyword there is "static". Dynamic stretching is kinda just using the muscles over their entire range. But how slow and how far do you need to go until you are doing static stretching...

The problem with static stretching is that it deadens the Stretch Shortening Cycle (SSC) response. The SSC response is what powers the plyometric contraction, which is heavily depended on in most events in Track and Field, which is why all educated track and field coaches save the static stretching for the end of practice and utilize dynamic stretching at the start of practice.

Static stretching is when you do a static stretching motion for more than 15 seconds (some say 20), from what I've heard.

Static stretching is when you do a static stretching motion for more than 15 seconds (some say 20), from what I've heard.

I've read a fair amount lately on the same issues, especially with ligament stretches, etc. However, I still have to stretch my pelvic bands to keep cramps from hitting me riding and when I workout and a few other lower body mobility movements and I usually stretch forearms/ fingers. Several of my fingers get pretty tight from going over the bars and damaging them. That's pretty much the limit to what I do now.

I do much like stretches from weight in the relaxed position.

So nobody has any idea of what I can do about my hand/finger issues?

I can't recall if I asked before: checked body alignment (Chiro)?

I've read a fair amount lately on the same issues, especially with ligament stretches, etc. However, I still have to stretch my pelvic bands to keep cramps from hitting me riding and when I workout and a few other lower body mobility movements and I usually stretch forearms/ fingers. Several of my fingers get pretty tight from going over the bars and damaging them. That's pretty much the limit to what I do now.

I do much like stretches from weight in the relaxed position.
There are two primary causes of cramps:
1. Low electrolytes
2. Pushing tissues past their limit into fatigue states. If your Hip Flexors are giving you problems, you'd want to work on them, the best being a lot of high knees running or in place. The hip flexor is actually a collection of muscles, primary of them is psoas major and minor.

So nobody has any idea of what I can do about my hand/finger issues?

Might be tendonitis or nerve impingement. I'd consult an orthopedist and/or physical therapist, particularly one specializing in sports medicine if possible.

I don't believe / trust Chiros.

The one I go to in Berkley has fixed me up several times from an inability to walk, much less get up off the floor. It's all mostly muscle spasms from the alignment issues a month or so out of a high force crash, but the alignment changes me world (for the better). Elbows out too. All the time....and I've crashed a lot. Like a a lot, lot. Things get jammed up if I don't get them fixed.

FWIW, the Chiro I go to doesn't do lots of actually "cracking". Instead, he pushes, manipulates, etc. It's a very different methodology to traditional Chiro and it works. His specialty is accident reconstruction. I've sent several friends and even my dad (who's been anti Chiro his whole life). No one has come out feeling they wasted money or were at risk of worse injury.

I'm biased because traditional Chiro's have fucked me up in the past...but this guy gets me walking and strutting again in a few days or less. The triple digit speed crashes really savage our bodies. I think it's possible you've got an alignment issue causing your finger issue.

Oh, one story: recently had a crash where I got pretty well jacked up and had a hand issue with numbness and fingers that lost feeling slowly until I couldn't feel my thumb and index finger almost completely. Went to my GP and he looked at it for a few seconds and explained I needed carpal surgery. Went to the same Chiro who adjusted my elbow/ shoulder and thumb. A week later it was gone.

Most Chiro's aren't impressive, IMO. But as much as much as I take body shots (at least over 50 crashes @ speed), the one I go to is excellent and puts my Humpty dumpty shell back together all the tme. I'd really try that first before any surgery or more extreme measures. If it doesn't work with him, I'll cover half the cost of the visit, Jordan.

There are two primary causes of cramps:
1. Low electrolytes
2. Pushing tissues past their limit into fatigue states. If your Hip Flexors are giving you problems, you'd want to work on them, the best being a lot of high knees running or in place. The hip flexor is actually a collection of muscles, primary of them is psoas major and minor.

I think there's something going on with the tightness of the bands that runs down the inside of the pelvis. Lots of tightness there that gets worse when riding with high pegs on rear sets. They can get tight enough to pull my pelvis out of position at times and I've found that actively stretching those areas limits the negative effects.

Last edited:
Berto, I found that the impact gun massager is very effective of loosening up my hip flexor when I have issues.

Interesting. I'll try that Brett. Where I cramp/ get tight is near the sides of the upper glute. The stretch is cross legged, chest over left knee/ right knee.

My massage therapist spends the most time on my hip flexors, both near my spine and along my thighs. That hurts like hell. They don’t get treated nicely in cycling - occasionally worked but never strengthened - and I’ve yet to find a stretch that works for them.. I see her once a month. When they are really bad, I use an impact massager on them, even hours before I see her so she can really get in there.

I stretch after every ride. It absolutely keeps my muscles from bundling into knots over time. But I wouldn’t say my flexibility has improved or that I get less cramps. Mostly, I go harder in races now so something always cramps.

Last edited:
Interesting. I'll try that Brett. Where I cramp/ get tight is near the sides of the upper glute. The stretch is cross legged, chest over left knee/ right knee.
I have my jumpers do this stretch, though they're sitting up, supporting foot on the ground and bringing their chest towards their supported leg.

tips%20on%20hip%20mobility%20blog.jpg

Do I need yoga pants to do that stretch, Brett?

Rob: the only thing I've found that works for me is the Indian style , chest forward and over one knee. I aim to get my shoulders to the outside of the knee. Chest is parallel to the floor. That's the only way I can get a good stretch out of the glute area that cramps on me. I don't get hip flexor issues...thank god.

One thing about hip flexor issues: I know in the resistance training world, that's indicative of weak core (which I doubt is your issue). but...maybe more related to core than you've considered?

I do Pigeon pose for glute and IT band stretching. This also gets my hip flexors a little if I turn or lean back.

My core is very unbalanced - weak in the front and strong in the back. Sitting at a computer for work and cycling make all of that worse because of the body position.

My post ride stretch routine is:
1. Pigeon pose. Turn and lean back for hip flexors. Rock hips for the floor for more glute and IT band.
2. Kneeling Lunge with back foot up on the couch. Lean back to get the hip flexors. Rock forward to get deep in the quad
3. Kneeling Hamstring stretch. This is the only way I can stretch my hamstrings. Sometimes I use the massager on the hamstring while stretching.
4. Lateral lunge. Get that inner thigh hip flexor.

Last edited:
A weak core won't support a proper posture which does result in an impact to hip flexor efficiency.

One thing that isn't common knowledge is that when your hips rotate, you don't get the easy initial lift of your leg from your Psoas, which is why some tired middle distance runners can't respond to other runners passing them at the end of the race. Their hips have rotated and they simply lack the ability for a fast lift of their leg.

Berto, this article may provide information and possible solutions about your issues: How to Release Tight Psoas Muscles

I do Pigeon pose for glute and IT band stretching. This also gets my hip flexors a little if I turn or lean back.

My core is very unbalanced - weak in the front and strong in the back. Sitting at a computer for work and cycling make all of that worse because of the body position.
You should take up rock climbing, it would provide the strengthening of all of the opposing muscles. I boxed while climbing to provide balancing to my rock climbing muscles.

You could stick to bouldering, climbing without a rope, it would do the trick.

I climbed for over a decade and made it to V9 & 5.13a. It wasn't enough to offset the detrimental effects of working at a desk, at least for the front core. Now with racing the bicycle, I don't have enough time or energy to add another physical hobby. I have a 12ft tall wall in my backyard and haven't use it in over a year :laughing:cry

I have my first consult with my cycling coach today. I suspect I'll be getting more a targeted crosstraining plan from him. We'll see.

V9 is impressive, I only sent a couple V9's and those were gym V9's.

I'd rather climb than lift, personally. I got away from it when my shoulders got torn up too badly to sleep well. I had to give them a couple years to recover enough to keep fit.

A weak core won't support a proper posture which does result in an impact to hip flexor efficiency.

One thing that isn't common knowledge is that when your hips rotate, you don't get the easy initial lift of your leg from your Psoas, which is why some tired middle distance runners can't respond to other runners passing them at the end of the race. Their hips have rotated and they simply lack the ability for a fast lift of their leg.

Berto, this article may provide information and possible solutions about your issues: How to Release Tight Psoas Muscles

I agree with Brett's analysis, Rob. I'd certainly buff up the abdominal wall and see where that takes you. The abs are the most underworked muscle group for most athletes and yet, the most important for stability and injury protection. They suck to target, but it's quick and isn't that hard.

Brett, thanks for the article. Appreciate it, brother!

Back