• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a reasonable approach, the tissue damage (and subsequent repair requirements) would be minimal so there wouldn't be the accumulation of damage that over-training results in. One day off a week would be sufficient to staying ahead of the curve.

Yeah I usually take at least one day off. It helps!

I’m feeling pretty good. I use light weight, reasonable number of sets and reps. I really don’t do forced reps. When I post, say, 1x30 mil press or bench press, I am just using the bar - working on form and technique.

As an old man, I don’t have the strength I had as a green horn (prison lingo) nor do I want to be that strong because I don’t want lingering injuries, tendonitis, etc. I’d like to stay healthy in my 90s.

I don’t get a lot of lactic acid build up because I don’t work hard (heavy and forced reps) plus the post workout helps with soreness.

Hope this helps!

PS - I really need to clean up my diet and increase protein.

Does help, significantly. I'm doing a similar approach, although a bit more weight, but still less than my peak a few years ago. I really don't want to overload the joint and support structures at my age. I think we're after the same thing...

Since we're touching the topic of recovery, I'm wondering what people do beyond taking time off. Stuff like post workout activities, diet, supplements, massage.

Picked up one of the percussion thumpers a few months ago. Had always been skeptical but seems totally worth it now. Also been experimenting with compression gear for running, but haven't reached a conclusion yet.

Agree with the points about not overdoing it on weight, but have been upping the levels since I dropped off some during the shutdowns and didn't have access to a lot of stuff beyond body weight and a couple dumbbells.

After a lifetime of staying relatively fit and trim from a combination of weights, cycling, swimming and running, I decided to get back into my all time favorite sport - windsurfing - in a big way.

I was semi-pro back in the early '80s and sailed regularly until about 2010. I had forgotten just how much this sport kicks your butt. In terms of intensity I'd argue that its up there with Judo and Jujitsu.

I worked my way back into it and am now out for 2-3hr sessions, 3-4 times a week and I feel fitter than I have for years. The stats on my Garmin smart watch show that I'm cycling between high aerobic and anaerobic for 2-3hrs when I'm on the water. Best of all is that its low impact so my old joints don't suffer.

I can really feel an improvement in strength and endurance when I go out cycling, running or swimming - they all seem way easier now lol.

Now all I need to do is recover the skills I had back in the day lol.

Since we're touching the topic of recovery, I'm wondering what people do beyond taking time off. Stuff like post workout activities, diet, supplements, massage.

Picked up one of the percussion thumpers a few months ago. Had always been skeptical but seems totally worth it now. Also been experimenting with compression gear for running, but haven't reached a conclusion yet.

Agree with the points about not overdoing it on weight, but have been upping the levels since I dropped off some during the shutdowns and didn't have access to a lot of stuff beyond body weight and a couple dumbbells.

It all depends on what your combination of volume and intensity is. You should never combine high volume with high intensity and especially not on two consecutive days. Once you're done, you need to give your body the tools to repair the cells that need to be repaired or replaced, a process that follows any activity outside of your body's homeostasis.

An ice bath is very effective at helping recover by jumpstarting your recovery process. Also, protein (supplements?) taken within 30 minutes of the end of your exercise helps a ton in recovery. Icing can help, 15 minutes at a time, twice. Another thing that helps soft tissues is an epsom salt bath, make it as hot as you can stand it to open up your pores and it's the magnesium in the salts that you want to get into your tissues.

Does help, significantly. I'm doing a similar approach, although a bit more weight, but still less than my peak a few years ago. I really don't want to overload the joint and support structures at my age. I think we're after the same thing...

+1!

Once in awhile I’ll see a really fit old guy. There’s a couple in my gym. That’s what I’m striving for.

GYM
Holy fuck! It’s almost August!

15-Min Run & Dribble in Gym BB Court (better than treadmill)
5x15-20 - Cable Crunch
5x10 - Hanging Leg Raise
5x10 - Cable Face Pull
3x10 - Curling Bar
3x5 - Lat Pull Negative Rep

FOOD

• Mickey D Sausage McMaggot w/Egg (delish!)
• Pork, Sausage, Rice & Zucchini
• Nectarine
• Pre Workout
• Post Workout
• Turkey & Spinach Wrap
• Piece of Chocolate

MACROS

It is what it is.

Last edited:
I can really feel an improvement in strength and endurance when I go out cycling, running or swimming - they all seem way easier now lol.

Now all I need to do is recover the skills I had back in the day lol.

Love picking up old sports again, especially at our age.

Love picking up old sports again, especially at our age.
Just be really careful, at first, because the nerve pathways are still there to execute the moves but the tissues probably won't be able to handle the load.

Found that out when I threw a roundhouse kick years after I stopped karate, my knee popped out and back in from the force.

It all depends on what your combination of volume and intensity is. You should never combine high volume with high intensity and especially not on two consecutive days. Once you're done, you need to give your body the tools to repair the cells that need to be repaired or replaced, a process that follows any activity outside of your body's homeostasis.

An ice bath is very effective at helping recover by jumpstarting your recovery process. Also, protein (supplements?) taken within 30 minutes of the end of your exercise helps a ton in recovery. Icing can help, 15 minutes at a time, twice. Another thing that helps soft tissues is an epsom salt bath, make it as hot as you can stand it to open up your pores and it's the magnesium in the salts that you want to get into your tissues.

Scheduling is probably my biggest problem. Normal gym sessions are largely ad-hoc HIT, mostly body weight and repetitions over anything heavy. Goal is adding in swimming for variety and running because it't the only way I can really hit peak zone HR. Running is the challenge and where the recovery becomes an issue. I'm figuring a maintainable routine is going to require 2-3 days a week and around 7-10K total. Being super careful about form so I'm not fucking up joints and that includes stability exercises on the non-running days.

Ice is a possibility. Epsom baths are out but hot tub & steam room are already in at the gym. Generally pack a protein bar for after workout, and take a light dose of creatine in one of my pre-workout blends. Also try to walk 1-2 miles a day and LOTS of stretching. The percussion gun is pretty good at drilling into knots and circulation, but I'm totally down with full massage if I can find a decent price/package

At least 7 hours of a sleep minimum for me and lots of water and sufficient protein. I train 5 days a week with a combination of climbing, weightlifting and jiu jitsu. I agree with Climbers post on volume x intensity. Its real easy to go HAM on a day where you feel fine but I've learned less is more. Of the 3 activities, weightlifting easily kicks the shit out of me if Im not careful with how much effort I decide to put into a training session.

Still can't break 4 pullups or neutral grip but can do like 6-7 chin ups...

I think I should start focusing on number of pullups and not sets...like just keep doing sets until I can't do anymore.

I think I should start focusing on number of pullups and not sets...like just keep doing sets until I can't do anymore.
How much rest are you taking between sets?

It takes about 3 minutes to replace your ATP (total burn time of 6-7 seconds) in your cells. It takes about 10 minutes to replace the Glucose in your cells, though you're probably not exhausting your glucose as it's good for about 45-180 seconds depending on your level.

How much rest are you taking between sets?

It takes about 3 minutes to replace your ATP (total burn time of 6-7 seconds) in your cells. It takes about 10 minutes to replace the Glucose in your cells, though you're probably not exhausting your glucose as it's good for about 45-180 seconds depending on your level.

Usually 2 minutes. So I should wait longer ?

Usually 2 minutes. So I should wait longer ?
I'd give it 3 if you want to maximize your next set.

Ready to go ATP is your best source of energy in your cells, once that gets exhausted your body uses Glucose to convert ADP to ATP but it's not in a ready to go form, so your performance can't maintain the earlier high level and the by-product is Lactic Acid.

Hows your technique? Are you making sure that that you're retracting the shoulder blade during the cocentric phase? Thats key.

Hows your technique? Are you making sure that that you're retracting the shoulder blade during the cocentric phase? Thats key.

I was gonna say...Jeff cavaliere's technique helped me a ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back