• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staying at the same weight forever which is way higher than I want to be. Going to get back to better eating habits and also am going to start going to bed earlier and then waking up early and hitting the treadmill before work. Then I am going to stay in a fasted state until after my morning meetings at work and eat around 9am so I get in an extra fasted hour of calorie burning due to the treadmill work. I have noticed that even though I am staying the same weight muscle mass is definitely going up.

Reading the comments in some of the KS political threads definitely inflames my brain, tho.

Brain inflammation indeed. Any advice on personal betterment of one's health is met with crickets or push back in various forms. At least this is consistent with comments from early 2020 too though. I suppose BARF being a cross section of the US population, it serves as a decent metric for what Americans will do when put under pressure. The shot is an easy solution and we've become programmed for those easy solutions; not skipping eating things we like and spending relaxation time @ fitness instead.

Maybe I'm reading things incorrectly tough, which I'd prefer to be the case.

Staying at the same weight forever which is way higher than I want to be.

I have noticed that even though I am staying the same weight muscle mass is definitely going up.

You've been doing this way long enough to know what's going on...the weight will come off more noticeably soon, but the picture thing helps to see the differences. That muscle mass is gonna help your burn rate I'm banking on...I like your more sleep comment too. I started that and it's made my head much clearer during the days. Why didn't I think of that sooner? I've gone from average of 4.5 hours to over 6 hours.

Staying at the same weight forever which is way higher than I want to be. Going to get back to better eating habits and also am going to start going to bed earlier and then waking up early and hitting the treadmill before work. Then I am going to stay in a fasted state until after my morning meetings at work and eat around 9am so I get in an extra fasted hour of calorie burning due to the treadmill work. I have noticed that even though I am staying the same weight muscle mass is definitely going up.

I’ve been hovering around 157 since Jan. 9th. Down from 162. Trying to get to 150-152. I track macros. They haven’t been consistent so need to work on that plus get into a caloric deficit. I’ve calc’d my BMR at about 1700 cal.

Yup my biggest downfall is food. I like to eat and realize I am overdoing it. I have started using smaller bowls and plates to portion out my food in order to start the downward trend on the scale. I am my own worst enemy.

Doesn't help that I have a shit scale at home that swings like 5lbs on any given day.

Yup my biggest downfall is food. I like to eat and realize I am overdoing it. I have started using smaller bowls and plates to portion out my food in order to start the downward trend on the scale. I am my own worst enemy.

Doesn't help that I have a shit scale at home that swings like 5lbs on any given day.
Get a decent digital scale, they're about $20-25 on Amazon and dead accurate to the ounce if on a level floor (we have large tiles).

Do you track macros? Its an eye opener. One frickin cookie will blow up my carbs which I am trying to keep at 100 g per day. If I eat that fucker, probably 300 cals, it would take a long time to burn off - 1 minute of burpies is about 12 cal.

I know your issue, my weight has been higher ever since my wife got me a pellet smoker last year for fathers day.:laughing

Working to adjust that, but the food is sooo gooood! :party

I know your issue, my weight has been higher ever since my wife got me a pellet smoker last year for fathers day.:laughing

Working to adjust that, but the food is sooo gooood! :party

Smoked Brisket sandwiches are the devil I can tell you from experience. Especially with pepper jack cheese.

Ugh, I'm having such a hard time with this back issue - may not be herniated (because I'm still working out, although it is painful) but possibly bulging disc. I'm going to see my wife's chiropractor and I hope it helps because this injury may take me out of my fight coming up in May. I want to fight so bad, but the training leading up is intense and judo and wrestling (heck punching and kicking for that matter) is extremely difficult with this lower back crap.

I've had issues with a herniated disc going back to college days and skiing. It's one of the reasons I stay up on core, but even then I'll get the occasional "reminder". Typical example for me is a sharp, instant, debilitating pain. Almost always happens in the morning when I'm bending over or reaching out to pick something up. From that point recovery depends on how long the muscle cramps last. I've just accepted that any significant muscle spasm means I'm resting for a couple days. Anything more will just drag it out

I'd suggest things that get blood flowing will speed recovery more than stretching which never seems to help no matter how much I try to make it.

edit: Another thing that can help is a back brace (like a girdle with supports). No particular recommendation, and it's less for when you are active than support to help when you are recovering

Last edited:
Ugh, I'm having such a hard time with this back issue - may not be herniated (because I'm still working out, although it is painful) but possibly bulging disc. I'm going to see my wife's chiropractor and I hope it helps because this injury may take me out of my fight coming up in May. I want to fight so bad, but the training leading up is intense and judo and wrestling (heck punching and kicking for that matter) is extremely difficult with this lower back crap.
What's the symptoms? Is it spasms or a sharp pain like an electric shock?

There is (or was) an old Chinese doctor up in San Francisco at 105 Sagamore st., Dr Fu Yu Tai who uses techniques from the old country. He apparently works miracles with his fingers and can tell you almost everything ailing you. My daughter's mom was supposed to have back surgery years ago for her spine and she has avoided it by seeing him for years. I believe his number is (415)987-9881.

Might be worth a try if he's still around.

I have a decent 3 day exercise streak going...standard Friday personal training, Saturday 11 mile ride from Sausalito to Hawk Hill....so had to do the hill from the town back to the bridge, but did it RIGHT AWAY instead of the end of a 30+ mile ride and I crushed it, and then Hawk Hill was pretty good, then down that crazy steep back part that leads to Rodeo Beach, and then back up the super crazy steep section to the roundabout before heading home.

Tonight my friend and I booked a court in Golden Gate park(he cycled FORTY miles yesterday) and played 13 games (He beat me 6-3 and then when he was tired I beat him 3-1 in the mini set). And tomorrow we have our weekly lessons though it's the last of 8 and we're like 30 deep on the waiting list.

Took last week off from hard workouts and simply worked on my back and sciatica with stretching, heat and cold, and really caring for it.

Trained/taught on Saturday and even did some Judo throws without issue, and then went to boxing afterwards. Trained hard leg kicks with my fellow coach and I was nervous about the amount of torque it requires for a significant leg kick, and felt okay on Sunday. Went to 7am Mass, and then worked on our ocean boat until dark.

The sciatica was still present and I'm going in for another adjustment to see if it can take pressure off the nerve.

Worked out this morning at about 75% of my normal garage dojo.

It's strange but it hurts a lot less when I'm up and moving around. It's sitting and waking up in the morning it's stiff as f.

Took last week off from hard workouts and simply worked on my back and sciatica with stretching, heat and cold, and really caring for it.

Trained/taught on Saturday and even did some Judo throws without issue, and then went to boxing afterwards. Trained hard leg kicks with my fellow coach and I was nervous about the amount of torque it requires for a significant leg kick, and felt okay on Sunday. Went to 7am Mass, and then worked on our ocean boat until dark.

The sciatica was still present and I'm going in for another adjustment to see if it can take pressure off the nerve.

Worked out this morning at about 75% of my normal garage dojo.

It's strange but it hurts a lot less when I'm up and moving around. It's sitting and waking up in the morning it's stiff as f.
In track, we do 4-6 weeks of increasing load, then we do a light week to allow the body to repair itself before going into the next cycle. Over-training is a common thing when you're pushing hard towards the limit at the end of the season, avoiding it is key for success at the highest levels.

We work from high volume and low intensity towards low volume and high intensity, you can only maintain the highest intensity levels for 4-6 weeks at most, so it's important to arrive there with an end goal within that timeframe.

Sleep is also a very important factor in progression, without sufficient sleep your body is unable to properly repair itself overnight for the demands put on it the next day. You can't train through a backwards slope in recovery.

Good luck! Stay ahead of the curve in recovery.

Last edited:
In track, we do 4-6 weeks of increasing load, then we do a light week to allow the body to repair itself before going into the next cycle. Over-training is a common thing when you're pushing hard towards the limit at the end of the season, avoiding it is key for success at the highest levels.

We work from high volume and low intensity towards low volume and high intensity, you can only maintain the highest intensity levels for 4-6 weeks at most, so it's important to arrive there with an end goal within that timeframe.

Sleep is also a very important factor in progression, without sufficient sleep your body is unable to properly repair itself overnight for the demands put on it the next day. You can't train through a backwards slope in recovery.

Good luck! Stay ahead of the curve in recovery.

This periodization is difficult in the martial arts because you are are also getting beat on by a sparring partner who is also getting prepared for a fight. It's just hard to go "light", especially with the killers I train with.

When I was in competitive body building in the early 90's, this periodization was super important and fairly easy to achieve. Same thing when I raced cyclocross and mountain bikes. Nobody was punching me in the head or taking my legs from under me and wrestling me to the ground. Last time I fought competitively was in my teens.

I am going to train no gi jiujitsu tonight and see how to alter my training for this recovery. I feel a lot better and the sciatica is subsiding. I taught yesterday and it wasn't bad demonstrating. I probably wont spar tonight, though.

Sleep, bleep. My wife and I sleep like 9 hours a night, although my cats wake me up all the time. They have zero respect toward their sensei.

I'm trying to change a few bad habits. Since moving up here, I don't really exercise other than manual labor on the ranch. I've gained a few pounds, although I am not fat. But I've decided to start fairly slow. Instead of waking up and drinking coffee in front of the computer, I got up and fed the horses with my coffee, then did a little work and hit the punching bag for a bit. Not much, but I need to start somewhere.

I'm also going to eat better. More fruits and veggies, less beef.

I'm trying to change a few bad habits. Since moving up here, I don't really exercise other than manual labor on the ranch. I've gained a few pounds, although I am not fat. But I've decided to start fairly slow. Instead of waking up and drinking coffee in front of the computer, I got up and fed the horses with my coffee, then did a little work and hit the punching bag for a bit. Not much, but I need to start somewhere.

I'm also going to eat better. More fruits and veggies, less beef.

Fuck yeah Mike! "Something is better than nothing" is my mantra when I'm low on motivation or trying something new. Starting slow is THE way to go. Especially since we are in our 40's not our 20's. Avoiding injury and being consistent is the only way to long term change. Keep at it man.

I'm 59 and I 'used' to be in amazing shape, but in the past 10 years, I have really embraced the more sedentary lifestyle and I'm now 25 lbs overweight. I do a fair amount of hiking and I started lifting weights again, but I drink too much beer and I love Carbs.

I had a wakeup call over the weekend when I visited my Brother. The guy is 5 years older than me, but he has declined extremely rapidly in the last 2 years. He was a druggie and doesn't have a Drivers License, so he used to ride a bicycle everywhere, now he can barely walk.

I know that our lifestyles are radically different, but I do not want that to my future. It was straight up depressing.

Had my last tennis class (8 of 8) last night, and my friend and I are definitely the best in the class. We played King of the court and I didn't rotate out for like 15 minutes lol.

Tennis is such good exercise I get my heart rate going and move a lot.

----

I think it's important to have a lifestyle that encourages activities and moving. I sit in a chair all day so when I'm done I like to be active, and I ride an Ebike everywhere which is not as good as a road bike but it gets you moving a bit and I ride it almost everyday for errands or social events (not for exercise).

My weight has been pretty stable but I note in a given week I could be as much as 5-7 lbs heavier than my base but it must just be the food or water in my system at that moment because a few days later I'll be back at the same weight.

It also helps to have a massively active friend group who invite you to cycle, hike, tennis on a regular basis. Some of my friends I would classify as straight up athletes...one friend just came in 2nd in a cycle race on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back