• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! Haven't paid much attention to the training effect score. Looking back they're around 2-3ish range. Now that I see yours I'm gonna have to try harder! (I knew posting this shit would be a bad idea :laughing)

To be fair (aka excuse) my HIT regimen has kind of morphed over time. After I added in swimming and and running Its goes a lot more like the following:
- Plop on elliptical and/or bike for about a 15 min warmup
- Grab a mat and do some yoga like stretches, and a lot of body weight stuff. If one of the bars is available I'll mix in pull-ups/hanging toe touch on transitions
- Then it depends what I think I'm doing the next day whether I work upper body or legs
- Another 15-20 of higher intensity bike/elliptical/rowing

My go-to benchmark was the VO2-Max. You can only get accurate readings from running and I was pretty stoked to hit 50 earlier last year, but it's settled to a pretty solid (and accurate IMO) 47 now. Most of my recent run work has been on form and setting up a good "recovery" pace because I have trouble keeping form going slow. Also, the "Training Load" was always too light on 120-140 HR range

edit: Attached training load pics. Been slacking this last month, but also feeling pretty good and going to start some more interval sprints today or tomorrow. I just can't get my anaerobic rates high on anything but running or swimming

Attachments

• IMG_6078.jpg
    IMG_6078.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6077.jpg
    IMG_6077.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6075.jpg
    IMG_6075.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
A few points, Berto, just finished some very high level training for Sprinters and Hurdlers, they went really heavy into training the endurance systems. You train Aerobic, anaerobic and Lactacid capacity first, then you train their strengths. Those each happen at a different percentage of 100 effort. In track we use their fastest 100m, 200m as a basis and percentage is calculated by time. For your needs, you'd probably want to do a shorter run on the cardio equipment and find out what your fastest time is an then use that as a basis for achieving a target. The anaerobic and lactacid should include shorter very hard periods followed by periods of rest for recovery, which is aerobic in nature.

When I was MTB'ing and cycling a lot, I would use Strava and a Garmin connected to my phone.

Every BMX Session I would ride, I'd film to post on my Instagram.

In both arenas, I stopped riding for the enjoyment of riding, and more for the technology. I guess when it came to BMX riding, it kinda forced me to be more creative with my riding, but every session ended up being "gotta get some new stuff filmed - stuff nobody has ever done or seen before" and I just chased and chased and chased and chased.

I got quite the following in the BMX world for being an OG in the sport and for my weird creativity on a bike. But, after awhile, I got burned out on trying to please my followers. The technology got the best of me in both instances.

I've pretty much disconnected all my physical activity from technology, with the exception of listening to music and using a boxing timer.

Here's a quickie of the last BMX stuff I filmed.

Last edited:
^ I think there is a sweet spot in fit tech. Keeping a person motivated on one end of the spectrum vs getting burnt out like you described on the other end.

I have only been using strava and my phone to record some of my workout stuff. I will say I have been eyeing a watch and more detailed data logging ala what Berto posted (impressive work btw Berto!).

I can see how that level of detail could feel like a burden though. I think is't critical to keep the fun in your workouts/fitness plan. For me doing something completely new helps make things fun again.

Yeah, there is a lot more than tracking miles, HR, etc. My biggest concern with running (old knees) is keeping smooth form and you get a lot of feedback on cadence, stride, and balance. Similar for swimming with stroke info. This the first I've ever posted up and maybe a bit of humble brag (until I got bested by Berto!), but also just think it's pretty cool.

Too lazy to post in detail like I did in 2021, so in a nutshell:

I’m day 5 of Stoppani’s Super Shredded 8. Today was leg day. As my friend told me, on leg day you walk out of the gym like Bambi on the day she was born.

Fuel: maintaining the following macros:

P120-150
C100-120
F100 and below
Calories 1600

Jan 1: 162 Lbs
Jan 8: 157 Lbs (aiming for 150 on March 1)

Last edited:
This morning's workout:
20 Rounds of Boxing Drills
2 min. rounds
30 sec. rest in-between

• 3, 2 min. rounds of rope skipping (30 sec. rest)
  • 4, 2 min. rounds of shadow boxing (30 sec. rest)
  • 4, 2 min. rounds of slip bag (30 sec. rest)
  • 5, 2 min. rounds of heavy bag (30 sec. rest)
  • 4, 2 min. rounds of ab work (30 sec. rest)

Nice! Haven't paid much attention to the training effect score. Looking back they're around 2-3ish range. Now that I see yours I'm gonna have to try harder! (I knew posting this shit would be a bad idea :laughing)

My go-to benchmark was the VO2-Max. You can only get accurate readings from running and I was pretty stoked to hit 50 earlier last year, but it's settled to a pretty solid (and accurate IMO) 47 now. Most of my recent run work has been on form and setting up a good "recovery" pace because I have trouble keeping form going slow. Also, the "Training Load" was always too light on 120-140 HR range

edit: Attached training load pics. Been slacking this last month, but also feeling pretty good and going to start some more interval sprints today or tomorrow. I just can't get my anaerobic rates high on anything but running or swimming

You need make no excuses G. It's how you get your work in, really. We're all different and for our ages, I think we're doing just fine. Thanks a ton for the V02-Max info. I hadn't followed it all and just started reading up on it and checking it. I didn't even follow V02 till now. Ironically, my V02 when I read your post (And checked it for the 1st time) was 47. Now it's 48. in 12 weeks it's gone from 45 to 48 so I'm assuming that means something's working?

Thanks for the info on your workouts too. I'm just now, really learning about the "training" aspect to what I've been doing. Sad to say...I had a hunch and that's about it.

A few points, Berto, just finished some very high level training for Sprinters and Hurdlers, they went really heavy into training the endurance systems. You train Aerobic, anaerobic and Lactacid capacity first, then you train their strengths. Those each happen at a different percentage of 100 effort. In track we use their fastest 100m, 200m as a basis and percentage is calculated by time. For your needs, you'd probably want to do a shorter run on the cardio equipment and find out what your fastest time is an then use that as a basis for achieving a target. The anaerobic and lactacid should include shorter very hard periods followed by periods of rest for recovery, which is aerobic in nature.

Thanks Brett and interesting. I've read this post at least 10X figuring out how to apply it. FWIW, I don't do any direct cardio except maybe the 2 min runs on the rope trainer 3X a workout. The rest is all high paced weight lifts. One thing I've noticed the last few months is how fast my HR will drop if I stop for 15 seconds or so. It's down to mid 120's from mid 160's in less than 20 seconds or so. That's new for me.

I can see how that level of detail could feel like a burden though. I think is't critical to keep the fun in your workouts/fitness plan. For me doing something completely new helps make things fun again.

Mike, the Garmin has changed me forever...and it was a total accident. Bought their diving watch and started using the fitness features (cause it had them). I'm so sold on this stuff and it's changed many other parts of my life/ day too. I never thought I'd like a tech watch as much as I do (cause I hated my Apple Watch), but I do.

Ebay has great deals on used Garmins..and they get beat up a little in ordinary use so new's not needed IMO. Fenix 6 is a great unit...if the used ones are in the budget. Your workouts are LEGIT enough, you'd totally benefit and kill it even more.

Yeah, there is a lot more than tracking miles, HR, etc. My biggest concern with running (old knees) is keeping smooth form and you get a lot of feedback on cadence, stride, and balance. Similar for swimming with stroke info. This the first I've ever posted up and maybe a bit of humble brag (until I got bested by Berto!), but also just think it's pretty cool.

Dude, G...all of you guys regularly posting in here are impressive with their fitness and regiments especially because of everyones (older) ages. It's a serious motivation booster for all of us IMO, and I've learned a fair amount from all of you guys. When you work out alone, it's hard to know what are some alternatives and the results of those.

I can't lie tho. I want to be like Dan when I'm his age. Dude's savage! That shouldn't take away from all the rest of you, G, Dion, Mike, Brett, Jordan, Sharx, Agent, Robert, Heather, and especially the one who started this: Gwynn. Everyone is great support. This is probably my favorite thread on BARF cause of the vibe!

Thanks Brett and interesting. I've read this post at least 10X figuring out how to apply it. FWIW, I don't do any direct cardio except maybe the 2 min runs on the rope trainer 3X a workout. The rest is all high paced weight lifts. One thing I've noticed the last few months is how fast my HR will drop if I stop for 15 seconds or so. It's down to mid 120's from mid 160's in less than 20 seconds or so. That's new for me.
<69% - Builds Aerobic Capacity
70-79% - Builds Aerobic Power
80-89% - Builds Anaerobic Capacity and Lactacid Capacity
90-95% - Builds Anaerobic Power
95-100% - Builds Lactacid Strength and power.

This is in general, It's a little more complicated than that for very high level training for 400m/400m hurdles training, but that's in general. You want to wait until competition season before really working hard on the Lactacid Strength and power because the intensity is very high and you're dropping volume at that stage to avoid injury.

Looks like Covid took a chunk out of my gas tank. My strength is back but I notice I gas out earlier during my climbs. Haven't gone back to BJJ since Christmas.

Looks like Covid took a chunk out of my gas tank. My strength is back but I notice I gas out earlier during my climbs. Haven't gone back to BJJ since Christmas.
Endurance always takes much longer to get back than strength. Be patient. Also, endurance isn't just local (to your arms), it's also your whole body, other activities on non-climbing days will contribute to your endurance for climbing.

Thats true, I spent the previous day doing squats and deadlifts.

I just got my lead climbing card. I find myself way more tense climbing than I would on a TR route even its the same route I've done plenty of times. Any particular tips?

Thats true, I spent the previous day doing squats and deadlifts.

I just got my lead climbing card. I find myself way more tense climbing than I would on a TR route even its the same route I've done plenty of times. Any particular tips?
Just practice your clipping so that you don't waste too much time (force accumulation on the other hand) doing it. I've seen people fumble it and take a fall, especially when they start getting pumped and the hand isn't responding like it usually does. Also, remember that getting it right the first time is far less tiring than rushing it the first time and having to grab the hold again and do a second try. Breathing out while doing it helps to relax and get it done efficiently.

Just think of it the same way you've trained yourself to relax when somebody comes in for an attack. Also, never hesitate, that just pumps the holding arm even more, just do it.

Lead climbing is a lot of fun, it adds a whole new dimension to your climb, especially when you're doing trad outside.

I’m using a new macros app: My Macros +

I can track macro averages over time.

Since Jan. 1, average daily macros:

P106
C145
F60

I need to flip the P and C.

was having a pretty good run up to the new years with fitness. added in some weight lifting on top of my cycling/mtb.

then I got covid.

laid me out for 6 days. (quarantined all 6).
woke up on day 7, felt great. tested negative, went for an easy 60mile bike ride and PR'd two climbs :lol:

looking forward to being back in routine. got fast friends I need to keep up with.

Too lazy to post in detail like I did in 2021, so in a nutshell:

I’m day 5 of Stoppani’s Super Shredded 8. Today was leg day. As my friend told me, on leg day you walk out of the gym like Bambi on the day she was born.

Fuel: maintaining the following macros:

P120-150
C100-120
F100 and below
Calories 1600

Jan 1: 162 Lbs
Jan 8: 157 Lbs (aiming for 150 on March 1)

I know jumping on a scale is for pussies. Whatever ::twofinger

Jan 16: 155

Yesterday
17 rounds of Boxing Drills; 2 minute rounds 30 Sec. between rounds

2 Rounds Skipping Rope
3 Rounds Shadow Boxing
4 Rounds Slip Bag
3 Rounds Slip Rope
3 Rounds Kicking (only) Muay Thai Bag
2 Rounds of Ab Work

200 Bare Knuckle Punches on my Makiwara
100 Bare Handed Open Hand Strikes on Makiwara

Today
16 Rounds of "lighter" boxing drills; same round/rest time

2 Rounds Skipping Rope
2 Rounds Shadow Boxing
4 Rounds Target Striking (tiny ball suspended between a line from the ceiling)
3 Rounds Tennis Ball Snatch (if the ball drops, 10 bodyweight squats)
3 Rounds of Lomenchenko Ball (headband with an elastic string attached to a tennis ball, basically a paddle ball on your head that you punch - like a paddle ball)
2 rounds ab and neck work

Taking a break for the next two days because Saturdays are straight punishment - 2 hours of karate and 2 hours of boxing (usually includes some sort of wrestling/grappling in karate and both disciplines include sparring)

I have been extremely inflamed for the past couple of weeks. My lower back and my distal radius fracture in my wrist are just killing me. I'm not sure if it's my age (more than likely), my diet, or possibly a supplement I'm taking. Could be all three.

Legit workout Dion. rest, rest, rest.

Finally got back into the gym yesterday after a two week layoff due to my bout with the covid booster.

They finally hung the heavy bag back up at the gym so it was a day of working on the chest area, went to do legs but some peeps were already using the machines so I skipped that and went upstairs to the heavy bag. Got in about 10 minutes of hitting the bag and realized I am way out of shape. Used to be able to hit for a solid 3 minutes currently I am down to about a minute. going to keep bringing the gloves and use the heavy bag as a finisher before I leave the gym.

Do run any sort of fitness wearable? How did the Booster cause issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back