• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what happened. I got the first two shots and it was cake no side effects at all except a little soreness in the shoulder. I got the booster on Jan 4th and was feeling like I had a slight cold. Took a cold pill on Thursday night to hopefully get some sleep to function better at work and woke up Friday with a 102 degree temperature. I was in and out of it all day Friday and I was totally tossed all weekend. took me all that week to finally straighten myself out and feel normal. I don't know if the booster weakened me and let the flu take hold or if it was something else but I was messed up.

I used to wear my galaxy watch but it has been acting up and all it does it overheat now so I haven't been using hardly. But I could tell that my cardio was way down but think that was more due to me neglecting it than the issues with the booster.

… went to do legs but some peeps were already using the machines so I skipped that and went upstairs to the heavy bag.

I hate that. Happens a lot when the gym is crowded so I revert to a similar exercise just to stick to my program, e.g., cables are occupied so I can’t do cable face pulls? No prob, I’ll grab 2 DBs and do bent over DB face pulls.

Interesting Sharx. I'm interested in how the data we get on a workout basis changes. I'm thinking the inflammation response is what drives the sluggishness, which I get every so often when the asthma acts up, etc. Thanks.

Update: continuing on my diet and Jim Stoppani program since Jan. 1. Kind of hampered by a bicep tendon and computer forearms.

Weight:

Pre-Rona, March 2020 - 149 lbs
Rona, summer 2021 - 169 lbs (not a typo)
Today - 157 lbs (need more HIIT and less carbs/more pro)

Last edited:
Dan, you trying to lose or gain weight?

Still super inflamed, but still training hard - as much as I can.
What are you doing to mitigate the inflamed areas?

We use icing a lot with our track athletes. Two 15 minute icing a day on localized area. As the intensity level goes up, the elite athletes pushing the limit get an ice bath following a hard session, it really helps with recovery.

For long term issues, heat alternated with icing helps.

Also, an Epsom salt bath can have benefits for soft tissue strains and injuries helps out.

Protein supplements aids in recovery to muscle tissue and lean muscle mass development.

I keep a supply of salon pas around to slap on sore areas overnight, beats the hell out of using tiger balm and rubbing my eye's while sleeping. :laughing

What are you doing to mitigate the inflamed areas?

We use icing a lot with our track athletes. Two 15 minute icing a day on localized area. As the intensity level goes up, the elite athletes pushing the limit get an ice bath following a hard session, it really helps with recovery.

For long term issues, heat alternated with icing helps.

Also, an Epsom salt bath can have benefits for soft tissue strains and injuries helps out.

Protein supplements aids in recovery to muscle tissue and lean muscle mass development.

I keep a supply of salon pas around to slap on sore areas overnight, beats the hell out of using tiger balm and rubbing my eye's while sleeping. :laughing

Nothing much. I keep training and stretching as much as I can. With my full time job, rental, home build, tanning salon, and my teaching schedule, I don't have a whole lot of time to "chill" and even ice stuff. I think I may go to Tiger Balm because it did help at one point. It's starting to reduce, but man, it's rough because I start prepping for my fight this month.

Sometimes I have a hard time discerning whether or not my injury is from impact or sore muscle. I was teaching single leg take-downs on Saturday, and then proceeded to get leg kicked during my own training an hour later. So... quad soreness? Bruised from the leg kicks, but also, just sore from shooting in a bunch of times. :afm199:laughing

Saturday, 3 of our guys from our gym fought in no-gi jiu-jitsu SuperFights (1 10 min round, submission only, no points) and we took home all three wins. It was the wrestling that dominated everybody - we were so stoked.

So! The pressure is on! We are a winning gym, and even an old fart like me needs to put in the work to win.

I picked up a percussion massager last year and have been pretty impressed. There are multiple studies suggesting they help both warmup and recovery. I went with the HyperVolt model which has been solid and convenient (small and long lasting battery).

I hate that. Happens a lot when the gym is crowded so I revert to a similar exercise just to stick to my program, e.g., cables are occupied so I can’t do cable face pulls? No prob, I’ll grab 2 DBs and do bent over DB face pulls.

Did chest/leg day at the gym last night and a good 15-20 minutes of heavy bag hitting with 16oz gloves. I still gassed hitting the bag but I was doing way better got a good 2 minutes in hard hitting before I started sucking wind so aerobic ability is getting better already the farther out I get from that horrible whatever I had a few weeks ago. Was tired as hell when I got home but had a had time going to sleep and staying asleep for some reason.

Still felt like I got a solid workout last night.

Figured out what I have - herniated disc... shooting pain down my sciatic nerve, so thus this is sciatica. Sucks. Still been training (unfortunately, not as hard), rolling it with a foam roller, using a ball to get in deep, and Tiger Balm Ultra at night along with a heating pad and stretching it (downward dog seems to help) and my hamstrings.

I distinctly recall injuring my lower back during boxing from slipping multiple punches and I guess that torque in the core region got me. I'm so mad about it. It's been weeks, but now that I'm actually doing therapy to get better, I'm healing faster - I should've gotten on it sooner.

Good news, is I got a new Victor Budo Gi 14oz to fight in. I love these Kyokushin Gi's because they have pockets for a mouthpiece so I know they're legit. They're also cut a little differently for full-contact fighting, specifically.

I got one without Kanji, because I am not part of Kyokushin Kai, nor Kyokushin Budo Kai, but man, do I love their Gi's.

Dan, you trying to lose or gain weight?

My goal is to regain strength and lean out. I’d like to be around 151-153 so yeah, I’d like to lose another 5-6 pounds. Along the way I’ll gain muscle but that’s not my main goal. So as I’m losing fat and gaining muscle, which you know is denser than fat so my weight has plateaued at 157-ish. Though I weigh myself like a bitch I still rely on the fucking mirror and my pants to check progress lol

I remember Jerry Rice was so tuned in to his body that after one season he worked on gaining 3-4 pounds or something like that. He felt the extra 3-4 pounds would give him the added strength he seeked. I love guys/girls that get into the details!

Last edited:
Update: continuing on my diet and Jim Stoppani program since Jan. 1. Kind of hampered by a bicep tendon and computer forearms.

Update2.0: Bicep tendon much better due to stretching and massage ball - thanks IG accounts I follow.

Need to work on computer forearms as they really hamper bench and military.

I spent a few days in Puerto Vallarta last week. A couple of pics of pharmacies - apparently they will ship “supplements”’to the US. Perhaps doc swade can confirm(?).

kbkhMDJ_d.webp

yOvZIn3_d.webp

Welp, trained (striking, wrestling, the whole nine yards, and sparring) for 5 hours on Saturday with some Ibuprofen. Was stiff yesterday but rested to watch the game with a bunch of friends. Did the peloton today.

My back pain is subsiding, but I've been rolling the hell out of it and stretching a bunch. I use a heating pad at my desk, and roll it constantly. Downward dog seems to help the most for this one, but I do other stretches.

Most of my injuries I've been able to self-heal, and this one - so far- seems to be of no exception. I've been strong and athletic my entire adult life, so I think this has something to do with it.

Reading the comments in some of the KS political threads definitely inflames my brain, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back