• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

New parts! Piston, rings, etc. Plus the bearing for one of the sub-exhaust valves.

Attachments

• IMG_2225.jpg
    IMG_2225.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
For the 250 and 450 both:
  • power washed
  • cleaned air filter
  • installed fresh air filter
  • cleaned/oiled chain
  • aired up tires
  • logged Moab riding time in maintenance books

For the 250 I removed the shroud graphics, as the right graphic mostly disappeared on the highways. I used GooGone to remove adhesive. Now I have white shrouds and white plates with yellow tank and fenders. I installed an airbox cover and power washed the inside of the airbox. I opened up the silencer spooge drain and let it leak overnight. I adjusted the handguards for more hand protection as my right hand is a magnet for the few trailside trees in the states of Nevada and Utah.

My Shinko R505 Cheater is finally done. It can stand more hardpack rides but doesn't have the knob height for soft dirt or sand.

Last edited:
Checked the valves on the 450. I want to keep an eye on them because the center valve was tight when I first checked them after buying the bike. None of them moved.

Ordered another R505 for the 250 and brought my MT-43 out of storage for the 450. But it looks like both tires have some life left.

Last edited:
Added some oil to the 450. Checked the log book and found the 250 had gone 19 hours since an oil change and I really abused the clutch in Moab. Barely had enough Rotella left for it.

I thought about changing tires but I think I can get some more rides out of these.

450 fresh v mounted MT-43:
IMG_20181012_105618184-L.jpg

250 fresh v mounted R505:
IMG_20181012_105724349-L.jpg

With one good long ride on the R505 I can get it down to less than a dollar per hour of running cost. :afm199

I actually washed the Alta. That might be the third time. I want it to look good for the Coyote Creek Sprint Enduro on Sunday Sunday Sunday!

My rear exhaust mount has been broken for a while. I'm also tired of smashing up pipes. Today I solved those problems.

Step 1:

Visit a friend who welds to fab up a new exhaust mount.

Cti1Kcr.jpg

AOv3M6b.jpg

Looks pro

9kNbWDB.jpg

Steps 2 & 3:

Brand new FMF Gnarly with new springs and o-rings. It's much easier to install with all the mounts in place.

Installed Force Accessories skid plate/pipe guard.

KgvaPm0.jpg

Yes, it weighs 6 lbs, and yes, it's going to scoop up mud in wet conditions, but I'm on my 6th pipe in 280 hours and I'm sick of repairing/replacing them. Hopefully this bash guard is nice and stout and it doesn't just bend into the pipe. Sure looks like it's built well.

I took off my pipe and cleaned up the spooge that leaked around the exhaust. The pipe drained some spooge while it hanged to dry after cleaning it and its o-rings. I replaced it with hi-temp silicone on the o-rings and the silencer junction.

I can't wait for viable electric dirt bikes.

Picked up a very worn, tampered with, TTR125 that's been bored out to 150. It runs really rich, thinking about picking up a different carburetor.

XR is back up and running, re jetted carb, took bike in to get valves adjusted and replaced the broken rear axel adjustment nuts, bike is back in supermoto trim which is how its going to stay.

Need to purchase a new kickstand as the bike is almost upright with the kickstand down, going to get new mirrors, likely ones I can mount under the bars, new headlight and blinkers on the way as well, I dont have front blinkers right now and the baja designs headlight is pretty much useless.

Also have a keyed ignition switch coming for a bit more security when I leave the bike at BART.

jLqbDIF.jpg

Put on a new pipe, plastics, graphics, rear tire, and spark plug on my YZ250, only to head to Donner summit and bash it and thrash it against the rocks for 2.5+ hours! hahahahaha

XR is back up and running, re jetted carb, took bike in to get valves adjusted and replaced the broken rear axel adjustment nuts, bike is back in supermoto trim which is how its going to stay.

Need to purchase a new kickstand as the bike is almost upright with the kickstand down, going to get new mirrors, likely ones I can mount under the bars, new headlight and blinkers on the way as well, I dont have front blinkers right now and the baja designs headlight is pretty much usseless.

Also have a keyed ignition switch coming for a bit more security when I leave the bike at BART.

jLqbDIF.jpg

You better have a hell of a lot more security than just a key if leaving that beauty at bart.
If you haven't noticed, dirtbikes and sms are the major targets if theft these days.
I wouldn't leave that bike anywhere near a bart station.

The YZ250 aluminum frame has a nice pocket for an Acerbis spark plug holder.

IMG_20181018_122313288-L.jpg

I've never fouled a plug on this or any other bike but many years ago a friend riding my KDX200 fouled its plug.

I knew somebody would point that out. I had taken my pipe and silencer off for cleaning. BTW that washer and rubber grommet are crash-tweaked.

Also BTW, safety wire goes to a safety pin through the oil filler cap.

Well sure, isn't there always a prize for being first to find "what's wrong with this picture" ;)
Nice idea for oil cap, I was wondering why the safety wire

Back