• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

When did Tom get a Husky? I can't keep up..

Now let's see Rebekah get back to winning races!
Shiny and nice Tom!

Got two 4L MSR Dromedary bags and some nylon straps and tried lashing them to my WR450F. I need to carry enough fuel to do the White Rim Rd. in Moab. Figure they can't really be filled with 4L each, so 6L total, over 1.5 gallons, which should be another 50 or 60 miles.

Still working on the rigging. Quick release probably isn't going to happen.

IMG_20180820_094204052-XL.jpg
IMG_20180820_094218378-XL.jpg

I wonder if it would be simpler to sew some custom tabk paniers that fit them. Easy in easy out easy storage when they're empty?

Because of this crud in the carb's bowl and the bike not able to run at anything more than a 1/8 throttle

Removed the carb for cleaning..

Because of this crud in the carb's bowl and the bike not able to run at anything more than a 1/8 throttle

Removed the carb for cleaning..

I should have mentioned it earlier. Do you have the XRs Only choke plate? If not, now may be a good time to install one.

Moved the bike lift back to storage, put the XR on a stand.

Yanked the busted and haggard 909 handguards, installed new clutch cable and perch, prepping for an oil change this weekend. popped valve caps and gave the rockers a shake.

Cleaned the filter today. I guess if you don't ride for several months, notoil red evaporates more than the normal alcohol evaporation. Found a bunch of dirt past the filter, kinda bummed. Approaching a crossroads with the ol' gal. It'll probably get an xr200 engine someday. Definitely won't be doing another bottom end on it, but maybe one more top end..

Yeah I cleaned my 450's filter after today's ride, knowing it was kind of dried out (No Toil red) before I rode. I'd use a freshly oil filter if I was riding in somebody's dust.

I went for a 56 mile ride to test my fuel bladders (filled with water). Crashed on both sides! One side leaked, but it was just a loose cap. They don't let me control the tank with my knees in turns and it feels kind of wonky. After the ride, I drained the fuel to measure it but my jug is too dark to determine the level. Somewhere between 1.5 and 1.75 g remaining from not a full tank, so it probably burned 1.0 to 1.25 g in 56 mi. Worst case 45 mpg? In that case I don't need extra fuel.

Changed the oil and filter, but I didn't have a full liter of Rotella T6 5W40 so I made it up with half Rotella T4 15W40. The anti-Rotella crowd will be in a tizzy.

WTF, it was Public. Works now. It's nothing special, didn't even record my crashes. That bike is downright scary going downhill. Only 35 more pounds than the 250 but damn what a difference. Years of riding those trails, I'm accustomed to a certain speed. That speed is too fast downhill on the 450.

Anyway, I topped off the radiators in all my dirty bikes. Two fiddy was low! Trials bike doesn't have a pressure cap or an overflow.

Loaded the trials bike for Boreal tomorrow, working the nationals.

uh, yesterday, I blew up the Black Dream. Bad noises, then the motor siezed.

Time for an overhaul.

Hey Butch,
You buy that black dream from someone in Port Costa??

Hmmm... it was Valerie’s ex husband’s bike. Don’t know where they were. I think they are French...
I got it from some other French guy.

Back