• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

I just pulled my TE 300 apart after the VCGP Sunday Mudfest. I pulled the crushed leaking right radiator and pipe as well as the subframe. The radiator is getting replaced, and the pipe straightened and everything else cleaned. I'll take this opportunity to install a different intake manifold and replace all the fuel and vent lines on the Lectron.

Attachments

• IMG_8354.JPG
    IMG_8354.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 14
I just pulled my TE 300 apart after the VCGP Sunday Mudfest. I pulled the crushed leaking right radiator and pipe as well as the subframe. The radiator is getting replaced, and the pipe straightened and everything else cleaned. I'll take this opportunity to install a different intake manifold and replace all the fuel and vent lines on the Lectron.

What’s up with the intake manifold?

Damn, Tom. What did you do?

I actually rode my EC300 yesterday. Mostly just a test run around the neighborhood, but it was fun. I need to find some places to do some woods riding out here.

Replaced old worn front brake rotor with new one from Bullet Proof Designs, cleaned caliper, lubed slider pins, installed new OEM KTM pads. Lever had been feeling a bit soft, brake was dragging a little, feels much better now.

Setup a nice new pair of heated grips. Stripped OEM ODI lock on grips off of throttle tube and clutch side sleeve, what a PITA. Applied Symtec Heat Demon grip warmers and two throttle side ODI Rogue grips which I prefer for trail riding. Set these up with a connector, plenty of slack and routed such that they can be easily removed from the bike. I previously setup another pair the same way with Pro Grip 714, which are nice for longer street or dual sport rides but too squishy for more hard core riding. Can easily switch between those or non heated grips for summertime, so the labor intensive heated grips will last longer.

Last edited:
What’s up with the intake manifold?

I found a different factory KTM/Husky Intake that is said to improve power and reduce fuel consumption. It was sold as the "trick" intakes for carbureted 300s. I think I bought it from Slavens.

Damn, Tom. What did you do?

I actually rode my EC300 yesterday. Mostly just a test run around the neighborhood, but it was fun. I need to find some places to do some woods riding out here.

I'm glad you got your 300 out! I hope you have a nice riding area nearby.

I went down in a rock garden passing downhill. I hit something I never saw through my muddy goggles. One moment 25 MPH, the next the bike is horizontal in the air. I jumped up and rode on. Shorty after I had a front flat then noticed the bike squirting a fine stream of coolant from the right radiator. Turns out I hit a rock hard enough to crunch the pipe guard and pipe and push it into the right radiator crushing it against the frame. With a little love and money, it will all buff out. :thumbup:ride

Got the 9.0 master and popped it in (only takes 10 minutes including bleeding). Have to ride to find out but the engagement range seems longer and pull a little lighter. Not worlds different like the Clake when adjusted down to 2 lbs but respectable 1 finger use. When pulled like before I got about 6 1/2" pounds; was riding the Clake at about 4 and had it down to 2 or so.

Good info! I would expect a longer engagement and lighter pull, which are both good as long as you can get it disengaged without smashing the lever against the bar.

I have a note to do the same to my 525, as it is pretty stiff.

I could not imagine a lighter or smoother clutch pull than the stock brembo on my ktms. Especially coming from cable bikes.

I could not imagine a lighter or smoother clutch pull than the stock brembo on my ktms. Especially coming from cable bikes.

It's like suspension, you don't know what you're missing until you try it. The clutch on a trials bike will let you see what is possible.

Good info! I would expect a longer engagement and lighter pull, which are both good as long as you can get it disengaged without smashing the lever against the bar.

Not sure what KTM used for a master bore, probably a 10.5mm. When I designed the hydro clutch mod for the 550 I found the typical basket clutch wanted about .05" to disengage, 9.5mm gave me about .09". Never measured the throw on the 9.0, guessing around .07", either should still work for the 525.

Last edited:
It's like suspension, you don't know what you're missing until you try it. The clutch on a trials bike will let you see what is possible.

Not sure what KTM used for a master bore, probably a 10.5mm. When I designed the hydro clutch mod for the 550 I found the typical basket clutch wanted about .05" to disengage, 9.5mm gave me about .09". Never measured the throw on the 9.0, guessing around .07", either should still work for the 525.

Thanks, good to know!

I found a different factory KTM/Husky Intake that is said to improve power and reduce fuel consumption. It was sold as the "trick" intakes for carbureted 300s. I think I bought it from Slavens.

Isn't the intake manifold just the rubber boot that connects the carb to the reed cage? How trick could it be?

Isn't the intake manifold just the rubber boot that connects the carb to the reed cage? How trick could it be?

Duuude! It's from Slaven's! Of course it's more trick....

Reed cage/box is where you get flow restrictions. Had my hands on a Boyesen reed box that had been ground/ported on a flow bench, now that thing was trick. It actually accelerated the air flow into the cases; matched with a good port job it made the motor so smooth and powerful it was wonderful.

Last edited:
My 300 was originally equipped with a Mikuni & when I switched to a Kehin it was a tight squeeze between the intake and airbox boots. I got the intake boot from a 250SX that came with a Kehin and it was approx 8mm shorter. Just made working on the bike easier.

Busted ass after work in the evenings for two weeks on a big laundry list of stuff to do on the new bike. Fork rebuild, shock rebuild, oil/coolant, valve inspection, and a whole lot of other typical dirt bike TLC items.

The payoff was the maiden voyage with the new WR250F. This thing is great! :thumbup Dropped it in some seriously nasty rock tech sections a few times. So, so much easier to pick up than the old top heavy DR350. And holy shit, E-start in tough sections... What a god send. Right over 9 miles in 1.5H at a nice leisurely pace.

Still have a few things to do... Needs a clutch cable and a good skid plate for where I'm riding. Looking forward to the next outing.

W0ia44E.jpg

4VQXD96.jpg

DkqzTd9.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pic. Where in New Mexico is that?

Looks like a great place to ride! Congrats!

Finally pried the wallet out and had the suspension re-valved for trails. After riding the modern WP suspension, the MX valving had to go. There is a local guy that knocked it out for a reasonable price and quick turn around. The conversion to a trail bike is almost complete. Next, I am going to start lowering the gearing.
Also, adding lights. Doing a total loss with dewalt lithium batteries. Should have >3 hr run time out of a 2 amp/hr 20v battery.

2021-11-15_02-35-24 by James LaBarge, on Flickr

2021-11-15_02-35-41 by James LaBarge, on Flickr

2021-11-15_02-36-41 by James LaBarge, on Flickr

New piston, rings, coolant, plug and I also rebuilt the carb on the ole CR250R

haha, you are adding new parts,im breaking my rear breaks at carnegie yesterday,ahhahahahhaahh,time to order new parts

Back