• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Bought more parts. Better assortment of shims to supplement my kit, clutch cable, hour meter & mount, new throttle tube and so on. Looking forward to a longer ride this coming weekend.

I won 2nd place in a mini motocross race :) The Hawk Mazzotta Back Yard Burner Race Round 6. I also got 2nd place in the championship since this round was a double points rounds and I took home the 2nd place trophy last time I raced.

1115210059-XL.jpg

1115210059a-XL.jpg

Isn't the intake manifold just the rubber boot that connects the carb to the reed cage? How trick could it be?

Good question! The volume in the intake system including the crankcase can greatly affect the characteristics of a two stroke. This new intake promises 10 additional HP -20 if I apply the sticker it came with! :teeth

By KTM part number it turns out to be a stock 250SX intake and it looked VERY similar to the stock TE boot. I'll probably never be able to feel the difference, but for $25 or so bux, I thought I'd install it when I had the carb out next for servicing.

pistons on the caliper were stuck wide open, tried bleeding Them,nope,did not help.:rofl:rofl

Replacing the caliper pistons and o-rings is really simple. Depending on the year of the bike, I can't help but believe fresh coating and new o-rings won't improve how they work. When I replaced the pistons on an 03, there was a visual difference between the old and the new. As far as actual differences, I just told myself the new ones made me faster.

Motarded my bike, and was surprised to find it posted here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CWWwof4hdCP/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I have that same crate :twofinger

Pulled off the PO's grips last night. They were running some ProTaper crap that was the clamps built in; the damned throttle tube wasn't even the right one for the bike. I had to shave off the OD where the throttle cables attach to get it to fit for this past ride. Ugh.

New Motion Pro throttle tube. Sanded down the rough spots and threw on the classic Pro Grip 714s. Will safety wire those into place tonight and do a few other misc tasks. Throttle tube fits much better in the metal clamped mounts.

Started to yank the clutch cable... still have some pain in my pointed & middle fingers on both hands from this past Sunday. Yikes. Probably overdid it in the hard / slow singletrack but I still think the clutch is going to need to be lightened somehow. Maybe a new perch / pivot point. New cable will go in. I PM'd the old owner asking if they'd put in any sort of competition clutch springs. I can see he read the message but ... he didn't reply. Thanks? :rolleyes

I rode with a guy that put one of those on a crf450. he said it was one of the better modifications he has invested in.

I've thought about the Magura. Heard some folks say it made a huge difference while others said it was no different than stock. Also heard others say it was absolutely reliable while others still said it suffered master & slave cylinder failures over and over again. So I'm not against it but just a bit unsure.

Will get the replacement OEM cable installed tonight and see how the clutch feels. Cable coming off feels like it is in pretty good shape, though. I have a clutch gasket on hand so I may also take a peek inside and see if I can determine whether the PO is running competition springs or not.

OEM cable installed and... it is a little bit better. Fairly light, actually. I think with an adjustable perch to get the lever position a little more optimized, I'd be OK with the result.

That said, I definitely need to lay off the hardcore enduro shit for a while thought while I regain my OHV chops and rebuild those hand muscles a bit. What I rode last time was probably the hardest riding I've ever done - maybe not the best trail selection for my first time back on the dirtbike in a few years :) . Should have actually stopped and taken pictures of THAT stuff and not the nice easy riding :laughing

Last edited:
More riding this past weekend! And a little maintenance, too...

Friday evening and Saturday morning, I took care of a few little bike tasks. Installed the ProGrip 714s and ditched the garbage throttle tube for the actual correct Motion Pro part. Works as it should. Next, reinstalled the OEM skid plate after forgetting to have that on the bike last time. Will likely search for something a little more robust in the future but for now it'll have to do. Next, replaced the OEM clutch cable with... an OEM clutch cable. While the cable appeared to be in good shape, the new cable was indeed lighter. Rearranged the clutch perch to get a little better leverage. Checked my shock PSI - was set a touch high before at around 155psi. Corrected to the factory 142PSI. Set the rear shock preload to 4". Installed a Hardline Hour meter / tach. Tried to use the little RMATV plate to install on the front gas tank bolt but lo and behold it makes contact with the gas tank! Shit. Going to have to find another solution for that - probably a DIY plate with a little more clearance. For the time being, backed it with some foam and zip tied it to the handlebars...

... and lastly... had a bad bogging problem right off idle last time. Was using the size 60 leak jet (included in the JD jetting package) along with the Honda CRF accelerator pump diaphragm and housing. Bogged on the first ride. Installed a size 40 leak jet which was supposed to be *the* solution for the WR250F.

And then went for a ride Saturday afternoon.

Bogging was still there. Damn. What was the problem? (I figured it out Sunday PM.)

First big obstacle was a nice ledge. Approx. 2 ft high, at an angle with the trail, and a slight angle upward. Pictures of course don't do it justice. Not a hard obstacle for an experienced rider but I'm still pretty fresh. Front wasn't an issue - rear wanted to slip along the edge. (I'm running ~10psi rear.) Tried this a few times then finally got over it by getting off the bike and push / throttling up with the rear wheel dug into a crack. Will probably come back this way and work on this again in the future.

Found some nice super narrow singletrack which turned into a flow trail with some serious berms. Really nice riding here!

Another 15 miles on the clock. Had some trouble in some technical sections because I'd want to apply throttle and the bike would just want to bog down and die. Clearly this bike was either totally gutless off idle or else something else wasn't set right.

So, last night I popped the accel pump side cover cover off. 40 leak jet and Honda CRF diaphragm and pump housing. (Check valve removed from my bowl - using the check valve in the Honda housing...)

Turns out... I set the backlash for the pump screw against the throttle! :laughing This was supposed to be minimized on the rod itself but I'd actually created a ton of free play by adjusting it the wrong way. So when the throttle was cracked, there was basically no movement of the rod until way deep into the throttle travel!

Oops.

Looking forward to getting back out later this week with this thing actually running correctly.

I DO have a Tubliss setup ready to go in the rear along with a Shinko 505. Right now there is a Maxxis Maxcross IT installed which is supposed to be a pretty decent tire. That said, I may just switch to the Shinko. Really like the idea of low PSI low tire spin low trail impact. We have a lot of rock features here and the ability to grab on without slipping seems like it would be of great benefit.

Attachments

• IMG_5231.jpg
    IMG_5231.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5233.jpg
    IMG_5233.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5235.jpg
    IMG_5235.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5236.jpg
    IMG_5236.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5242.jpg
    IMG_5242.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 6
Been prepping the 350 for a trip to the desert next weekend! Did the 100 hr service which included adjusting the valves, serviced swing arm bearings, repacked muffler, oil and filters, coolant, etc. Installed heated grips today and have new led headlight coming tomorrow. Cant wait to get out and ride! Its been a long time since I've ridden a dirt bike and i'm getting itchy!

It's like suspension, you don't know what you're missing until you try it. The clutch on a trials bike will let you see what is possible.

Not sure what KTM used for a master bore, probably a 10.5mm. When I designed the hydro clutch mod for the 550 I found the typical basket clutch wanted about .05" to disengage, 9.5mm gave me about .09". Never measured the throw on the 9.0, guessing around .07", either should still work for the 525.

Ok, I fondled the gasgas trials bike at Modesto KTM the other day. That's almost nonexistent in effort. I do prefer the much smaller lever.

Red. Every time I either wear or ride red I get stung by bees, wasps & other flying peckerwoods.
I swore I wasn't gonna let it happen again this year, tired of swelling up like the elephant man.
So, I went out to the garage and rustled up what ever rattle cans of paint I could find and set forth on a mission to paint my little red Honda.

Here's the before pic-
tumblr_p5uvcjm9aX1wwv7beo1_1280.jpg

And the after-
tumblr_p5uv89KrB61wwv7beo1_1280.jpg

I really wanted purple, woulda been way coooool....

It's been a few years, so I went over to my neighbors garage and found a few new colors that caught my eye..
He'll never be able to paint his BBQ anytime soon....
660 001.jpg

Last edited:
Back