• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Who's gone Solar

I had 10 panels installed (my house is two-story which minimizes number of possible panels, and I live alone), just hooked into PG&E's grid last week.

Haven't received a new bill yet (my costs are low generally, mostly got solar for AC in summer), but should be awesome. They threw in an EV charger lol, even though I don't own a car....

Apologies if this has been addressed already.

First round of quotes all had Enphase inverters, with different brands of panels, but I just got off the phone with a solar guy and their company leans towards individual optimizers on the roof with the panels, and a single inverter in the garage (or elsewhere, just not under a panel on the roof).
His reasoning is that the inverters are affected by heat and in the middle of a triple digit day my output is reduced; inverters are more likely to fail due to heat than optimizers; and general longevity of optimizers vs inverters.

What does the brain trust say to this? Is he hustling me?
I'm in P'burg and it routinely gets over 100 in the summer so I don't want to ignore legit issues.
Did he give you a model number so you can spec it out? It should list performance changes at different temps if that's true. I also would like to know if it accepts batteries, should you want to go that route in the future.

I had 10 panels installed (my house is two-story which minimizes number of possible panels, and I live alone), just hooked into PG&E's grid last week.

Haven't received a new bill yet (my costs are low generally, mostly got solar for AC in summer), but should be awesome. They threw in an EV charger lol, even though I don't own a car....

You're all set up! Time to get an EV. Tesla just dropped prices, + you can get a tax rebate on the 3 and Y.

First round of quotes all had Enphase inverters, with different brands of panels, but I just got off the phone with a solar guy and their company leans towards individual optimizers on the roof with the panels, and a single inverter in the garage (or elsewhere, just not under a panel on the roof).
His reasoning is that the inverters are affected by heat and in the middle of a triple digit day my output is reduced; inverters are more likely to fail due to heat than optimizers; and general longevity of optimizers vs inverters.

I'm in P'burg and it routinely gets over 100 in the summer so I don't want to ignore legit issues.

Enphase website says operating temp range is up to 149°F.
https://support.enphase.com/s/article/My-Enphase-system-stopped-working-in-snow-or-cold-temperatures

Apparently they work better in cold weather. Nobody in my home town has Solar because Hydroelectric power is cheap.

If its wired in series i would not get that system.

I went with microinverters and we are in triple digits usually for 3 months straight and another 3-4 months of mid to high 90's. 4 companies i had come out use microinverters and one used a string inverter system. From what ive read there is a very low failure rate, IIRC 0.0xx %, of panels or microinverters and life expectancy is 25 years

Wouldn't series be better? Shouldn't make a difference to the micro inverters, but the wires would be happier.

Wouldn't series be better? Shouldn't make a difference to the micro inverters, but the wires would be happier.

In a series circuit, one fails all fail. Also, if one panel is shaded it will reduce the whole system output to what the shaded panel is generating.

I’m no PV expert but but it appears to me that a system with one inverter and multiple panels will be wired in this way.

They wouldn't all "fail", but I see what you mean. That's arguably a good thing though, because it would be sucky for one to fail and not know, but maybe there's a system monitor that communicates with each inverter. The weakest link issue from shading is a great point. I was googling around looking for negative opinions on the Enphase and there's not a lot to be found. Odds are the temp thing is fine.

Yea wrong wording. If one panel fails the whole system will stop generating if wires in series. How soon can you have a replacement panel and afford to have no generation.

There are monitoring systems. I’m getting one with mine

Last edited:
In a series circuit, one fails all fail. Also, if one panel is shaded it will reduce the whole system output to what the shaded panel is generating.

I don't know how the wiring affects it but my understanding is that one of the main benefits of microinverters is that it eliminates the shade issue.

While standard string inverters will cap the electricity production of each panel by the lowest-producing panel on your roof, microinverters don’t have this problem since they function in a parallel circuit.

A microinverter will take full advantage of the production of each individual panel. It will convert the power generated by each panel to the grid voltage. Each solar panel and microinverter combination can “do their best” and contribute as much power as they can.

The core advantage of using microinverters is that theoretically, you can yield more solar electricity. The reason for this is that there are slight differences in currents between solar panels. When solar panels are in a string, the current is reduced to that of the least-producing panel in the string.

Suitability for challenging installation conditions
If a solar system is facing multiple angles, meaning some panels are facing south, some east, and some west, then microinverters are the way to go. Or, if you have shading issues from trees or a large chimney, again microinverters would be best.

In these situations, the solar panels will be producing different amounts of electricity at different times of the day, but microinverters will ensure you harvest all of the energy, while with a standard inverter you will lose some of this production.

source

For the people pulling the trigger, what's your yearly kWh usage? Ours is only 384kWh per PGE...Our house at idle uses 333Wh, and only about 4kWh when I max it simulating cooking and heating the home, so I imagine this is relatively accurate.

For the people pulling the trigger, what's your yearly kWh usage? Ours is only 384kWh per PGE...Our house at idle uses 333Wh, and only about 4kWh when I max it simulating cooking and heating the home, so I imagine this is relatively accurate.

That looks more like a monthly usage. Our annual usage is about 4700kwh. We got a 7 panel system that is sized for 108% of our annual usage. Still in first year, so we don't know what actual will be. We are aiming to get a 30% tax credit on our 2022 taxes, though, which is nice. :cool

Yeah, that doesn't look like your annual.

I'm not exactly sure, since I haven't had the EV for a full year, but probably in the neighborhood of 9,500 kwh annually. My future system is supposed to generate 10,746 kWh /yr.

No system failure due to single unit failing, in either application.
System output is monitored so individual panels or components failing should be identified.

Thanks for all y'all's input. Makes spending several thousand dollars on solar a little easier.

2020 was 7724kWh
2021 was 9263kWh
2022 was 6279kWh

WFH since 2016...the reason the numbers have trickled down is that we no longer have a [inflatable] hot tub.

Also worth noting - we don't use a/c, gas appliances except for the dryer, and the house is primarily heated by gas wall heater (old house, lots of 98yr old windows, no insulation, yada yada yada). I also don't charge the EV at home.

Last edited:
That looks more like a monthly usage. Our annual usage is about 4700kwh. We got a 7 panel system that is sized for 108% of our annual usage. Still in first year, so we don't know what actual will be. We are aiming to get a 30% tax credit on our 2022 taxes, though, which is nice. :cool

Yep, looks like that was the month. About 4mWh last year. I wonder what that'll go up with full electric and a EV...

Pulling the trigger as we speak.

$21,620 cash

5.2kWh (120% of historical usage)
13 @ REC 400 w/ IQ8's

25 year warranty on equipment and workmanship

$15,134 after Fed Tax Credit yada yada yada still pulling twenty-one grand out.

Anyone wanna make some cash and help me reshingle the back half of my roof in the next few weeks? :laughing

Back