• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

2024 Formula 1 thread ***spoilers***

1.5kg is a pretty big error by the team. They know how much weight George will lose during the race. They know how much weight the tires lose. And they absolutely assume the driver will finish their 0.5kg water pouch. Someone - actually probably a few people - screwed up some simple math.

I really doubt George going long impacted this. He still had pace at the end, suggesting that the tires weren't worn appreciably more than the other drivers. So this should have fit within their expectations.

I think crash damage falls under mitigating circumstances and could allow a car to finish a race underweight. 1.5kg of carbon is A LOT though. For example, I doubt a front wing endplate weighs more than 200-300g. The whole wing is under 10kg and most of the weight is in the nose cone / crash structure.

Not the way Hamilton wanted to win.

“I feel for George, and you don’t want to win a race through a disqualification, but we have been back in the fight for victories in the past few races,” Hamilton said. “It is incredibly competitive now.”

Hamilton's move at the start over woeful Perez was brilliant.

Piastri I thought would stay out like Russel but he did drive a great race.

Several cars including third place Leclerc able to hold off Verstappen.

Do we have parity now?

Verstappen still is the dominant combo for qualifying though.

Perez finished 33 seconds behind Verstappen.

Who is going to replace him?

Ricciardo?

Hamilton laughed at the question from Gunther Steiner on the podium regarding Mercedes catching Red Bull for the championship as he should have.

Glad to see Steiner in some F1 capacity.

Not sure if this was mentioned by Sainz is going to Willams?
Oh wow. I really expected him to go to Audi. I wonder if all the recent crap at Sauber/Audi made the choice easier for him. Maybe he doesn't want to work with Binotto again :laughing

How much is he regretting having stalled on resigning with Ferrari.
Probably followed his managers advice.

I wonder if Newey has committed to going to Williams and that factored into Sainz decision?

Yeah, wild speculation, but I'm sure the team he goes to will know well before the rest of us do. It'd be a hell of a move for Sainz if that's how it works out.

On another note, I had some dumbass Max fan trying to claim that Newey was just a manager and got far more credit than he deserved for RB's dominant car. :laughing

Newey does get too much credit. Some people seem to think that he's responsible for 75-100% of the extra performance RB has over its rivals. IMO, he's responsible for maybe 25% of that. An F1 car is too complex and takes too many man-hours to design. There's little chance every single new idea passes over Newey's desk. And there's no way in hell every good idea was his. We know from the first season of these regs that he focused on the rear suspension. Not the front wing, rear wing, side pods, floor, or the 10000 other parts that much interact perfectly to produce that lap time.

Also, I think RB's downwards trend is being blamed too much on Newey leaving or checking out. I think the dev restrictions, their previous penalty, the cost cap, and the concept of diminishing returns are causing far more of it.

Last edited:
I disagree, there are a ton of brilliant engineers working in F1, across the teams they all cancel each other out, but Newey is heads and shoulders above the rest when it comes to aerodynamics and that difference is an advantage that can't be ignored. In sprints, 0.01 seconds can be the difference whether you make the finals or not, in F1, 1% difference can translate into 0.4 second advantage.

I disagree, there are a ton of brilliant engineers working in F1, across the teams they all cancel each other out, but Newey is heads and shoulders above the rest when it comes to aerodynamics and that difference is an advantage that can't be ignored. In sprints, 0.01 seconds can be the difference whether you make the finals or not, in F1, 1% difference can translate into 0.4 second advantage.
Ya of course. But how much does that matter in terms of "credit" if he didn't work on 98% of the car...

Because he's the difference between all of the teams.

He hasn't done it just this time, remember RB's previous dominant years, then Newey went off to do other projects. He's also been the factor on previous teams.

His impact is real, nobody has had his impact in decades.

Because he's the difference between all of the teams.

He hasn't done it just this time, remember RB's previous dominant years, then Newey went off to do other projects. He's also been the factor on previous teams.

His impact is real, nobody has had his impact in decades.
The topic at hand is "how much credit". I agree he deserves some credit, deserves a much larger chunk of credit than any single other engineer on the team. But he doesn't deserve more credit than all the other engineers combined. Maybe he's the Steve Jobs of motorsports.

It must be nice to be Newey. RB probably started designing the 2022 car in late 2020 when Newey wasn't active. Newey comes back for 2022 and gets all the credit for their dominance that year :laughing

I've got a burrito bet with a coworker that Perez does not finish the season with Redbull.

I think I've got a reasonable shot at a free lunch.

Redbull needs to come up with something. They've got one seriously skilled driver taking a mediocre car and turning it into a points/podium winner, and then there's the other guy. There is a very real risk that they do not win the constructor's championship.

Should be interesting to see what kind of upgrades/improvements get made, by all teams, over the break.

I'm also very surprised at Sainz going to Williams. I would have thought that maybe he would have taken a back seat at Sauber for a year, but in exchange have the opportunity to lead the brand new team that's backed by a serious automaker.

Last edited:
I've got a burrito bet with a coworker that Perez does not finish the season with Redbull.

I think I've got a reasonable shot at a free lunch.

Redbull needs to come up with something. They've got one seriously skilled driver taking a mediocre car and turning it into a points/podium winner, and then there's the other guy. There is a very real risk that they do not win the constructor's championship.
Completely agree.

Right now my bet is on Ricciardo.

I have this weird feeling that Perez will not be back after this summer break. He had to perform this weekend and even though he qualified 3rd (started second due to Max engine penalty) he ended far behind Max who started 11th and ended 5th. .IMHO, not the performance that Red Bull is looking for.

Completely agree.

Right now my bet is on Ricciardo.
He seems like the best and easiest choice.

He's a proven winner that already knows how to work with that team. He's had to eat his humble pie, and that might be exactly the type of life experience he needs to be truly effective. If he came into it fully understanding that he's a solid second tier driver for a top tier team whose job it is to support the high-end talent, he could be very successful.

Reactions: GAJ
The topic at hand is "how much credit". I agree he deserves some credit, deserves a much larger chunk of credit than any single other engineer on the team. But he doesn't deserve more credit than all the other engineers combined. Maybe he's the Steve Jobs of motorsports.

It must be nice to be Newey. RB probably started designing the 2022 car in late 2020 when Newey wasn't active. Newey comes back for 2022 and gets all the credit for their dominance that year :laughing
A really good engineer can accomplish in a month or less what normal engineers have spent a couple years working on.

Years ago, I only had 3 weeks to rewrite the tech manuals for hydraulic repair for the rail garrison (MX missile on a rail car) because the guy who had been working on it for 1-1/2 years had screwed the pooch. An interesting point is that this guy had done the hydraulic repair manuals for the B2 bomber, I predicted they would have a problem and they got grounded for over a year because of hydraulic issues.

Adrien Newey is said to be able to see air, he can essentially know what airflow will look like without using computer software or wind tunnels, that allows him to evolve a design many times faster than any other aerodynamicist. That's huge, especially when they reduced testing so much along with wind tunnel time.

Back