• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

2024 Formula 1 thread ***spoilers***

Carlos Sainz with Williams lol

So who will replace Checo?

Somebody who will know he is the #2 guy....
Well yeah, when you enter a team that has arguably the best F1 driver currently in the sport, you need to know your place.

You don't get to join a team with a Schumacher, a Hamilton, or Verstappen and think that you stand a chance of being on par with them, ever. Even if the team treats you as equals, which would be fiscally irresponsible of them to do, the deficit of raw talent is far too large. It's silly to think otherwise.

Those drivers are so far above the "standard" F1 driver it's just crazy.

Last edited:
I just don't see any of the VCARB drivers outscoring Checo. Daniel isn't the same driver after McLaren. All that promise he showed in the sim has resulted in very little, in him getting beat by Yuki. Lawson is too fresh and will likely make even more mistakes than Checo. And Yuki seems to be disliked so much by RB that he's not even in the running. I agree that Daniel is the top pick because of his experience. But trading one slow driver for another doesn't seem to be worth the risk.

Or maybe that's why they will swap. They've lost all faith that Checo will get back on the box, they expect to lose the Constructors, and Daniel can't be any worse :laughing

Moving Daniel to RB and Lawson to VCARB would probably set them up best for next year. If Lawson pwns Yuki and Daniel does meh, they sign Lawson to RB.

Well Horner just nixed that idea
I do feel bad for Checo though, we should definitely see him close to max at most circuits

Yep, RB goes the boring route and keeps Checo for the rest of the year. BOOOOO

Checo has Carlos Slim money behind him so yeah, that might be why....
Telcel, and Claro. Not to mention insurance company Interprotección and as well as Patrón Tequila.

And to get rid of him before the Mexican GP...probably not good optics for their Latin American fans.

Last edited:
Checo has Carlos Slim money behind him so yeah, that might be why....
Telcel, and Claro. Not to mention insurance company Interprotección and as well as Patrón Tequila.

And to get rid of him before the Mexican GP...probably not good optics for their Latin American fans.
Would RB and said sponsors actually sign a contract with options to terminate if the driver isn't in the car? 🤔 That's def part of motorsports contracts that we hear little to nothing about. We think we know that Sergio's personal sponsors are not paying for his seat. After all, he's getting >10M euros in annual salary, not including performance incentives. Hmmm.

Good call on the $$ and marketing consequences of dropping Checo. He seems to sell a lot of tickets in MX. And they may not have been planning on putting him at VCARB.

That is an interesting angle to think about.

I wonder what the crossover point is, money wise, for keeping Sergio and placing second in constructors vs dropping him with potential sponsors for a chance to hold onto first?

McLaren do have a hard task ahead of them if they want to beat RB, it's not a guarantee. Likewise, dumping Sergio is no guarantee that the replacement will do considerably better.

In the last five races Perez has scored 24 points.

Piastri has had 86.

I wonder too if the engineers and mechanics ever consider neutering the car a little bit. They make the RB car so twitchy because Max has the skill to handle a car like that, but any other "normal" person struggles with that type of instability.

But then that would also impact Max's ability to be as competitive with an objectively slower car.

Tough spot to be in for the managers.

That is an interesting angle to think about.

I wonder what the crossover point is, money wise, for keeping Sergio and placing second in constructors vs dropping him with potential sponsors for a chance to hold onto first?

McLaren do have a hard task ahead of them if they want to beat RB, it's not a guarantee. Likewise, dumping Sergio is no guarantee that the replacement will do considerably better.
How much to doing this 'Honda' charges them from any contractual engine work / rework.... (failure analysis etc....)

How much to doing this 'Honda' charges them from any contractual engine work / rework.... (failure analysis etc....)
Please clarify, I'm a little lost on what this means. I am not the smart sometimes

It would cost RB $5mil to terminate Checo's contract. While it won't hurt RB, money is money. And taking sponsorship dollars with him would hurt them...in the short term.

The other thought is...there is no guarantee that a replacement would do any better. As mentioned earlier.

Why not stick with the known quantity at this point and finish out the year?

Please clarify, I'm a little lost on what this means. I am not the smart sometimes
Honda continued to support the Red Bull-owned teams in 2022 and will do so until the end of 2025. Honda assembles the power units and provides trackside and race operation support. The power units remain Honda's intellectual property, and due to a development freeze, Red Bull Powertrains will not develop them.

I guess they probably have a cap on engine limit spending? who knows.....

I read somewhere that Checo has a Disney+ show to be released soon. Rumors of Liberty Media imposing will on RB to keep Checo for that and to keep him for the Mexico Race would be good for $$. Can't go against the bigger money (Liberty Media $ > RB $)

Back