• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

Nothing makes my jaw drop anymore. I have driven a Porsche 917k, worked on Formula 1 cars, helped a guy duct tape the front bumper of his Carrera GT back on, and much more. There is a $10 million ALFA Romeo stored 3 doors away from my shop.

And how do I get a job with you?
:teeth

p.jpg

and during a recent visit to Club Auto Sport, I found this gem under a cover. As near as I can tell, it's the same car shown in the second picture, a Tramontana R.

Yessir!
tramontana_r_edition_image_004.jpg

Nothing makes my jaw drop anymore. I have driven a Porsche 917k, worked on Formula 1 cars, helped a guy duct tape the front bumper of his Carrera GT back on, and much more. There is a $10 million ALFA Romeo stored 3 doors away from my shop.
It's really cool to have had those experiences, and it's equally as sad that they have caused you to be so jaded.

Yes Tim, I actually agree with you. I was a car nut growing up. Hundreds of Matchbox and Hotwheels cars. Everything. I can still tell apart any year American car from about 1955 up to about 1972.

Yeah, I remember reading an article in a mag a while back when the car first showed up and they said it was a cool looking blend of parts of the VW group shelf, the rear wheels lit up as soon as you touched the gas and with the mid-rear mounted V12TT it didn't turn for crap......but one of my all time favorite cars was the Renault Turbo2 (I grew up in England) and the W12GTi kind of reminded me of a Turbo2 and my GTI mashed together.:thumbup

Doesnt still do the same thing for me today it did in the '80's....but the Renault Alpine A310 was a fav of mine growing up in England...
I've always had a love for the Renault R5, it made me like the LeCar. The Alpine was cool as well. I've seen both parked next to each other in a museum in Nashville ?!

Attachments

• IMG_5734.jpg
    IMG_5734.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5738.jpg
    IMG_5738.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 139
Yes Tim, I actually agree with you. I was a car nut growing up. Hundreds of Matchbox and Hotwheels cars. Everything. I can still tell apart any year American car from about 1955 up to about 1972.
I didn't intend for it to be a dig on you. I just meant it as an observation. I hope it was received in the manner I intended.

Years ago I noticed that I was feeling the same way (jaded) to Fighter and Attack aircraft. I quickly decided to combat (no pun intended) that. I didn't want something from my past to be less exciting than it was when I lived it. I go to every Aviation (and auto) museum that I can find. I make it a point to stop and admire each aircraft I see now.

The event that started my love of aircraft, and eventually my Military Service. It is darn near as real to me today, as it was when it took place. I strive to keep it that way.:
When I was 8 or 9 years old, I was snuck onto a local Naval Air Station by my Big Brother to "see something special". At about 2am he took me to Base Ops. and up into the Tower. He gave me a pair of binoculars and told me to "look out there and tell me when you see it". Eventually I saw "it". It swooped in, taxied over, and we quickly walked down to look at it. The Pilot and Rio took the time to show the little kid (me) their prized possession. It was told that it had yet to officially join the Naval inventory. I had no idea why it was important that the wings moved, I just new it was cool that they did. It wasn't until years later that put it together that I saw one of the first F14's.

Here's to you regaining the feelings and the awe that you once felt.:Port

It's really cool to have had those experiences, and it's equally as sad that they have caused you to be so jaded.

I think he took it the right way.

As would I.
In my case though, over the years the things that, "drop my jaw" are not really whole cars anymore. I mean sure I like the race cars, and the exotics, Hot Rods, lowriders, and many other styles...

But what really "floats my boat"... Are the details found in those cars. The little things and details that often get overlooked, but to me make the difference between a 'nice' car, and a 'WOW' car.

Here's a nice example...
orig.jpg

That's a sweet pedal setup. But it's the floor covering that really catches my eye. That and how the gas pedal pivots off of the steering box brace.

Doesn't really matter what it's in... This is the sort of thing I notice these days.

It also helps that it happens to be in THIS car. :thumbup
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I like the way you thing Charles R I can't stop staring at those seat brackets and that floor. I wouldn't want to sit in it if I owned it!

Here's a nice example...
orig.jpg

That's a sweet pedal setup. But it's the floor covering that really catches my eye. That and how the gas pedal pivots off of the steering box brace.

Doesn't really matter what it's in... This is the sort of thing I notice these days.

It also helps that it happens to be in THIS car. :thumbup
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

:wow

I have been losing interest in hot rods/customs as it seemed to be getting stale. THIS is an amazing piece of work!

Deuce Coupe? :wow :drool

well, no. it's not a coupe. notice the distinct lack of roof required for a "coupe" designation. it's nominally a Model T

that's a very well done car. 3 strombergs (i assume), a hemi and skinny tires... must be a handfull to keep it pointed in the right direction. who built it?

Last edited:
attachment.php

here's a car that might not make your jaw drop until you see that the frame is made from hundreds of little cro-moly tubes. And before you point at the four-banger and laugh, know that this car's top speed is 177 mph.

Those remind me of the Mikunis I had on my 510.

Back