• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

Rose colored glasses. With 7 and 8 speed trannies, DI turbos everywhere, there are modern four bangers with meager hp numbers that are quicker than stock Fox body five-ohz.

Probably felt fast as shit back in the day, but then again 25mph downhill on your Huffy felt like a hunnert.

My truck's four-cylinder has more power and torque than the 1988 5.0 Mustang had, 270 and 310 respectively, but it certainly doesn't feel the same even though it's quicker.

My truck's four-cylinder has more power and torque than the 1988 5.0 Mustang had, 270 and 310 respectively, but it certainly doesn't feel the same even though it's quicker.

Modern cars are orders of magnitude smoother and quieter in every way. Electronic controls are massively better, plus more gears and much quicker shifting make for something that doesn’t feel that fast but is.

I had old beaters that felt like they were going to get airborne at 80mph but even your bargain basement shitbox will quietly cruise along at 80 all day long.

Tim beat me to the punch, but yeah, it has to do with power-to-weight ratios. My dream car in high school was an '88 Notch 5.0 and it's pretty much still on my wishlist today. Too bad they're literally all clapped out or overmodified by douchebags anymore. You literally cannot find a non-molested late 80's (non-airbag) 5.0 Notch anymore.

Yes you can, but you'd get nauseated at the price.

I grew up on Long Island in the 80s. The epicenter of the Iroc and Fox body. While I owned neither, I rode thousands of blurry miles of shotgun in them and they hold a soft spot in my heart.
231 4eva

Man, buddy in high school had a 10-ish year old, at the time, IROC. With the 305. Absolute dog and the rattliest rattle trap I think I have ever been in.

It literally had trouble breaking traction in the rain and it felt like both doors and the hatch were threatening to fly off at over 60mph.

Man, buddy in high school had a 10-ish year old, at the time, IROC. With the 305. Absolute dog and the rattliest rattle trap I think I have ever been in.

It literally had trouble breaking traction in the rain and it felt like both doors and the hatch were threatening to fly off at over 60mph.

Those were rated at a blistering 190HP :laughing

My 68 383 Roadrunner was rated at 335 hp. The 426 hemi was a $700 option which was close to 20% more.

'member when there was pitchers of cars and stuff?

aston-martin-james-bond-106-1582225587.jpg

[youtube]HAliUeLTPgo[/youtube]

but, it's a little white lie: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/retro/eight-things-you-need-know-about-bonds-db5-stunt-car#3

aston-martin-james-bond-101-1582225587.jpg

Last edited:
Tim beat me to the punch, but yeah, it has to do with power-to-weight ratios. My dream car in high school was an '88 Notch 5.0 and it's pretty much still on my wishlist today. Too bad they're literally all clapped out or overmodified by douchebags anymore. You literally cannot find a non-molested late 80's (non-airbag) 5.0 Notch anymore.

They are out there, but you’ll pay close to $15k for a nice one.

I was looking at a coupe with a blown first gen Coyote swap on eBay right now for $25k. Car supposedly ran 9.50s and looks like it needs nothing. I was thinking about it, but the trouble would be getting it registered in CA. Tempting to try though.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254816777786

I’ve had 3 fox bodies of varying levels of modification in my life. Fastest one went 12.80s at 108mph at Sac, which felt like something back in the day. :laughing

They are my all-time favorite car and I want another one with a Coyote swap BAAAAAADDDDDD.

That’s nuts.... my first Fox was a 1988 LX hatchback original 5.0/T5 with 80k miles and a clean title. Completely stock. I paid $4,500 in 2001. Did Trick Flow top end kit, injectors, throttle body, etc... Maximum Motorsports suspension, 5 lug/rear disc swap, and 4.11 gears and it went 12.8@108 at Sac Raceway. Fun car for a college kid. Girlfriend hated it because it was loud, smelly, and I drove it like a prick. :laughing

Second Fox was a 1989 LX coupe, original 2.3L car swapped to a 5.0L and a T5. Salvage title. I paid $2,500 in 2012. It came with a B cam, Cobra intake, injectors, throttle body, 5 lug/rear discs and 3.55s. Not particularly fast, but it was fun.

Third Fox was a 1987 GT with factory t-tops. Original 5.0L/T5 and SUPER clean. It had a Cobra intake, Edelbrock heads, Comp cam, IMMACULATE interior with Momo seats, 5 lug/rear disc, and 3.08 gears. Again, not very fast especially with the 3.08 gears. I stole that car from my buddy for $2,500 because he couldn’t get it running. All it needed was a starter relay and a neutral safety switch! $60 in parts and it was good as new. I drove it for about a year and sold it for $6,500. :laughing

My favorite of them all was the coupe even though it was the biggest rattle trap of them all. Something about those body lines just calls out to me....

Total sales dud, looked like a giant, expensive Miata...

Were I to go gaudy, I'd totally rock this restomod Vette. :cool :laughing

attachment.php

Attachments

• Corvette-Restomod-1.jpg
    Corvette-Restomod-1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
I have to admit something. Years ago I stated that most cars don't make my jaw drop.
Once I started paying attention, just about every new car is making my jaw drop. We deal with a lot of fast BMWs here, but they're race cars. My boss's dad recently picked up an X3 M Competition. 0-60 in 3.3 seconds! 1/4 mile 11.6 seconds! 0.97g on the skidpad!
I'm stuck 20 years ago when 4 seconds was a good 0-60 time, and any street car above 0.95g was some kind of miracle.

Sales dud, maybe. Still fetches six digits when it sells.

Just because something is rare doesn't mean it's good. People pay a lot of money for shit that many of us would just laugh at. Spend a half-hour watching Mecum auctions and you'll see plenty of examples.

Back on topic...

I likely wouldn't buy a GM product even if my life depended on it (proud GM hater that I am), but it's impossible for me to state that the company didn't have their design game locked up tight in the mid-century era. I present, the 1959 Buick Invicta... :love :drool

17ff2a39cdb6b6759bd6eabc92de9bb8.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

They also made a wagon version that I'll bet even more than MikeV and I can state is a beautiful car! :love

c67eab22f27fb388dc257e6c770c5a53.jpg

:wow

:laughing

hummer-tiny-wheels-1587053447.jpg

[youtube]ZE_RndVScmU[/youtube] I especially love the liberal use of washers.

or maybe a DONK?

wagon-wheel-hummer-h3-1587052565.jpg

:teeth

:rofl:rofl

Last edited:
Doesn't really look like those others, IMO. The 90s rounded body style that BMW went for makes it look like an early Miata.

I don't think it's one of Fisker's best. :dunno

Back