• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Cars that make your jaw drop.

4wd-Toyota-Van.jpg

VW wishes they could've built a real van like this. I spent many a day driving a 2wd over 17 and off roading in the sierras back in the day. The LE model was loaded- fridge, sunroof in addition to a large sliding roof, etc. But it too was gutless.

You're evaluating it as a car. The buyer likely sees it as a fashion accessory. May still be dumb, but it shapes the market differently.

If you base vintage car prices on performance and capabilities, they would all be worthless. There is much more to it than that. Fashion, investment, whatever.

I just don’t see a 928 as historically significant enough, rare enough, aesthetically pleasing enough or whatever other intangible descriptor to push it to forty grand. Or worse (far worse in my opinion) the eighty grand Z3 M I mentioned.

These bonkers speculations have pushed people to ask crazy prices for uninteresting, historically insignificant, not aesthetically pleasing crap. In many cases, rare simply because 98% of them got recycled. 80’s LeBarons for twenty grand? Fuck off with that shit.

If you base vintage car prices on performance and capabilities, they would all be worthless. There is much more to it than that. Fashion, investment, whatever.

I just don’t see a 928 as historically significant enough, rare enough, aesthetically pleasing enough or whatever other intangible descriptor to push it to forty grand. Or worse (far worse in my opinion) the eighty grand Z3 M I mentioned.

These bonkers speculations have pushed people to ask crazy prices for uninteresting, historically insignificant, not aesthetically pleasing crap. In many cases, rare simply because 98% of them got recycled. 80’s LeBarons for twenty grand? Fuck off with that shit.

We're agreed on all points.. it's Beanie Babies redux. My comments were more focused toward Jason (and probably should have been in PM now that I think about it) and his focus on the performance/features.

FWIW, for the longest time I had a mad jones for any number of "classic" cars, but I don't want a car I don't drive, won't drive a car that has really crappy performance, and realized that my daughter's Honda Fit will outrun the vast majority of those classics while getting better mileage and providing air bags to boot.

I think it’s a good discussion. Interesting to see how old junk becomes “vintage”.

It's because of rich assholes trying to out-rich-asshole each other on bringatrailer. The results there lead everyone and their bother to believe a 97 integra is worth 30 grand.

Should be criminal that they still use those.

The amount of bullshit Toyota spews in trying to convince people that it's "smarter" is simply amazing, too. From the salespeople all the way up through their engineering management. They're all firmly convinced the rest of the industry got it wrong when they intelligently left drum brakes behind and moved on to disc.

It's because of rich assholes trying to out-rich-asshole each other on bringatrailer. The results there lead everyone and their bother to believe a 97 integra is worth 30 grand.

Hence the six figure E30 M3’s. Sure, you could buy a one year old M5 for the same price, but any dickhead with decent credit can do that.

I agree tho, BAT has really helped things go wonky. I see ads referencing BAT like it’s KBB or something. Just cuz one person sold the most perfect, cleanest, lowest mile example of whatever heap of shit you’re selling does not mean your heap of shit is worth anything near that.

Yeah. Since when did BAT become the end all be all of car values? I have a friend and former customer that recently sold his NSX. And he didn’t want to put it on BAT. He’d heard from several sources that you actually risk devaluing the car if it doesn’t sell on BAT. As if some stigma hangs over the car or some shit.

I dunno, but everyone seems to treat it like the oracle of car values

I have seen people take it in the shorts on BAT. Bad timing with Radwood? Gotta find the right rich hipster on the right day.

while we're blaming things for inflated prices let us not forget jay leno. his show has elevated every rusty POS JDM car from the 70s-80s to collector status

For me, Meh on that singer. It's got some good spots, but misses in a few too many.
Here's someone putting a real 911 through it's paces at this year's Dakar rally.

[youtube]1gU2UBxd0Ng[/youtube]

Back