• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Anyone know what combo gearing to run?

I'm looking at a new crank and cassette, xtr 960's.

The crank chain rings are: 44/32/22
The Cassette is: 11 - 34 tooth

There are also the xtr 952's which run different sizes.

Thanks in Advance!

Frodog said:
Anyone here been to China Camp and Rockville?
Yup. China Camp is larger in area than Rockville, with a little more climbing too. The singletrack at China Camp generally flows better, allowing me to carry more speed.

Rockville was fun, and more technical. It was hard for me to get into a groove there, having to stop and pick my way down all the different rocky obstacles. I'm not too good at it either.

Because I'm not too good at picking my way down technical, rocky bits, I tend to like China Camp a little more. It's fun just getting into a groove on the flowing singletrack, especially the narrow stuff on the backside in addition to the rutted downhill chutes near the top.

Rockville is cool though. I think my trip there would have been more fun if I followed someone who knew their way around. One of these days!

I'll probably be at China Camp around 7 AM tomorrow, doing my typical loop to the top. About 11 miles, 1000 or so feet of climbing, five or so miles of singletrack, two fun technical chutes (that both made me bail last time, similar to Saw Pit @ Soquel) and a couple of small drops :)

I'm always up for a good ride! I live in East Contra Costa County, if anythings going on out my way let me know.

mountain biking.

if anyone can give me some good roads to practice on, i would greatly appreciate it!

i plan on doing a backpacking/mountain bike ride to paradise lake in henry coe with some friends next month.

Good practice trails in your area....

Your best bet would be China Camp in Marin. Mostly downhill stuff from what I recall but enough of a climb if to work on your endurance before your trip.

MrCrash and WW would probably be the best to ask about trails in N. Bay Area.

fried_tofu said:
mountain biking.

if anyone can give me some good roads to practice on, i would greatly appreciate it!

i plan on doing a backpacking/mountain bike ride to paradise lake in henry coe with some friends next month.

Try doing a 20+ mile ride at Mt. Tamalpais :)

If you've never been to coe, be prepared for lots of climbing. I'd also bring more water than you think you'd need, and then add another 25% more to that as there are lots of areas where the trails are exposed (even though you're going through trees) and the sun can be brutal. I wouldn't worry about cold too much just yet. It can get pretty cold in the mornings but you won't notice it once you get going.

Enjoy your trip, I'm jealous

Hyperlite said:

If you've never been to coe, be prepared for lots of climbing. I'd also bring more water than you think you'd need, and then add another 25% more to that as there are lots of areas where the trails are exposed (even though you're going through trees) and the sun can be brutal. I wouldn't worry about cold too much just yet. It can get pretty cold in the mornings but you won't notice it once you get going.

i have been to coe quite a few times... the last time i went was just last month. did a 48 (so they say) mile hike in three days. backpacked over to mississippi, camped that night, headed over to paradise lake next morning (fooking bass heaven), headed back to mississippi and camped another night, went back to head quarter next day.

i just figured it would be fun just to do another trip but on a bike.

the elevation is somewhat challenging and the heat definately sucks. we always bring two 1 liter bottles, a water filter, and some gatorade mix. :teeth.

i think i'll hit mt. tam up! see what the hype is all about! :teeth

Last edited:
Hyperlite said:

hyperlite,

i have a specialized rockhopper (i'm still a beginner). think it is good enough to tackle those trails you have on your website? thanks for the info.

fried_tofu said:
(i'm still a beginner)
If you're still a beginner, you may want to gradually warm up to bigger climbs by riding at places like China Camp. As you get stronger, you can ride the longer, more difficult climbs near the top and on the backside.

I also like the fact that the trailhead for China Camp is *right* off the freeway, rather than some half-hour trek up some twisty roads into the mountains. Convenience is big for me when I ride before or after work.

The only legal singletrack I know of in Marin is at China Camp in San Rafael and Tamarancho in Fairfax. Singletrack makes the whole workout / training aspect of mountain biking fun!

- Mike

MrCrash907 said:
If you're still a beginner, you may want to gradually warm up to bigger climbs by riding at places like China Camp. As you get stronger, you can ride the longer, more difficult climbs near the top and on the backside.

I also like the fact that the trailhead for China Camp is *right* off the freeway, rather than some half-hour trek up some twisty roads into the mountains. Convenience is big for me when I ride before or after work.

The only legal singletrack I know of in Marin is at China Camp in San Rafael and Tamarancho in Fairfax. Singletrack makes the whole workout / training aspect of mountain biking fun!

- Mike

Thanks Mike!

Christy is out for this weekend. I'll probably do SDF sometime...

SDF sounds like what I'll be doing if I dont wake up in time for China Camp or somewhere up there in the north/east bay.

Last edited:
Soquel Demonstration Forest

Braille Trail, etc...

OK, next weekend is Labor Day. Bad time to travel, I say. At least Fri nite, Sat morn or Monday evening.

What about a ride on Sunday? Is Rockville worth my drive up from SJ?

how long of a trail is china camp? i plan on going with a friend next saturday. is it a whole day thing?

Butch said:
OK, next weekend is Labor Day. Bad time to travel, I say. At least Fri nite, Sat morn or Monday evening.

What about a ride on Sunday? Is Rockville worth my drive up from SJ?

Wish I could answer that. Sometimes I meet riders in Rockville from Daly City and Sacramento. But if was me, I wouldn't drive from San Jose just to ride Rockville. But that's me, I am a lazy driver.

frodog

Map of SDF

Last time we went, we took "Secret Squirrel" aka "Cusacks Trail" up to the gate, rather than the Aptos Creek Fire Road from Buzzard Lagoon. It's still a climb, but it's shaded singletrack rather than a barren fireroad. Much more fun.

Calvin requested a map route - and listening to Jeff's last ride report, it sounds like this could have come in handy for him as well!

1247944-sdf.jpg

fried_tofu said:
how long of a trail is china camp? i plan on going with a friend next saturday. is it a whole day thing?

The basic loop involves about 700 feet of climbing over 2 miles can be done in about 7-8 miles, with 1-2 more miles if you follow the trails inland from the frontage road as you make your way back towards where you parked.

One step up from the basic loop involves another 300 or so feet of climbing, adding another 2 or so miles to the Short Loop. Two fun rutted technical chutes are options on this route.

The backside throws another 3-4 miles and another 700 feet of climbing your way. A third technical rutted chute is an option along this route, with a lot more singletrack.

I'll post maps when I get back - it's off to work then off to Buttonwillow!

- Mike

Back