• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

So let's go on Monday Sept 6th. A few people were talking about Wilder, so we can start at Pogonip, crossover into Grey Whale, then into Wilder. Play around, have some lunch, come back through Pogonip.

Whatta think? There's no school, so no excuses!

Just to give you an idea on Pogonip, here is a photo of my buddy on one of the teeter-totters.

1257951-misc_043.jpg

mtnbkr1 said:
So let's go on Monday Sept 6th. A few people were talking about Wilder, so we can start at Pogonip, crossover into Grey Whale, then into Wilder. Play around, have some lunch, come back through Pogonip.

Whatta think? There's no school, so no excuses!

I'm in...
10am?

Is there parking ar Pogonipple?

Yes, there is a parking lot along highway 9.
Perhaps we can meet up in SJ (or ??) and maybe commute over?
The way to get there is take 17 to SC, and then backtrack along Highway 9 for about 3-4 miles. A large dirt parking lot can be found on the right side of 9. From there, we will take the road back towards SC (only about 500 - 1000 yards or so) and the trail up begins. A gentle climb through the redwoods will take us above UCSC, and from there, there is a tangle of trails and fireroads with many options. They all criss-cross, so you always end up in the same place, more or less. Follow the fireroads through a meadow or two, cross over into GreyWhale (from Empire Grade), then drop into Wilder (from above the Eucalyptus Grove) Then we can play out there, turn around and do it in reverse.

I don't really have any good maps (or mapping software) to help out here. This gives a good overview of the general route (though the starting point is cropped out)
http://www.virtualparks.org/parks/wilder-qtvr-map.html
Note that Pogonip is the darker green area in the lower righthand corner. Note the tightness of the contour lines on the map (again, right side) DROOL.

Here is a more comprehensive map of Pogonip
http://www.virtualparks.org/parks/pogonip-qtvr-map.html

I'll have to keep an eye on this :teeth. Hope to see you guys out there on Monday (if I don't get stuff finishing up an emergency project I'm working on :cry )

I'm away from this computer after noon or so. A plan by then would be good.

Think Star Bukies is open on Monday? Meet there at 9am?

Isn't there onein Los Gatos? Main Street?

Coffe shop yes, Starbucks no....

So let's do this, let's meet at 9AM @:

Los Gatos Coffee Roasting Company
101 W. Main Street
Ph: 408-354-3263

From there we can grab a bagel or something next door at le Boulangerie, and jump right on 17.

We will leave on the bikes from the dirt parking lot (at the trailhead) @945 or so (for those that want to meet us there).

Cool? Whose in?

I'm in...

I'll email Christy's list too.

Have fun guys!

I'll be on the other bike at THill Monday.

I can't wait to ride again with you all...it'll be a while (heading to Mono lake next weekend).

I wanna go to Northstar again. I miss Woody the bear.

Anyone interested in going to Northstar in a few weeks?

I just finished up a 10 mile loop in Auburn earlier today. Two good 800 foot climbs with two long singletrack descents. It was warm out, enough so that I jumped into the river before the climb out.

Who's down for Northstar on Sunday, the 19th? We could stay overnight somewhere in the Sierra foothills, so we're not exhausted from the trip there that morning.

Last edited:
I'll try to make it too (ie. don't wait for me) 9am at the Los Gatos Coffee Roasting Company.

xls said:
I'll try to make it too (ie. don't wait for me) 9am at the Los Gatos Coffee Roasting Company.

If you are running a little late....meet us up at the dirt road (directions above) We will be starting the ride b/w 945-10AM. PM me if you want to trade cell #'s.

mtnbkr1 said:
If you are running a little late....meet us up at the dirt road (directions above) We will be starting the ride b/w 945-10AM. PM me if you want to trade cell #'s.

hey mtnbkr!

what trails are we going to be taking... at pogonip?

I know we start at 9.... but which trails are we going to take in pogonip and what trail takes us down to wilder?

just curious.

Thanks!

Yeah.....about that.....

There is really one or two 'official' trails in Pogonip. These trails go up and connect with Chinaquapin road, which crosses empire grade and becomes Chinaquapin Trail, dropping into Wilder. Check the map links a few posts up.

I have only recently discovered Pogonip, so I am still learning the trails and trail layout. Suffice to say, we will be exploring a bit, but it is all good, and you will definately have a good time. As mentioned before the climb isn't too bad, and it should be shady most of the time (keeping us out of this heat). It is kind of hard to explain here, but most of the trails in pogonip criss-cross each other, and dance around Chinaquapin road. Once we get into Wilder, then we can check out whatever trails you guys want to do......

A picture and 2 videos from this ride. I wheelied and stoppied over the teeter totter but the other guys didn't know how to operate my camera so there's no movie of me. :teeth

Clip1
Clip2

Is there a way to host the videos on the barf server?

Last edited:
Back