• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Waiting for a report :) Hell, I should just swing by John's place on the way back to see what kind of mess they made...

What the F do you people do for a living? You are depressing the hell out of me.

On a good note though I got my hardtail running again so I can still ride until I get the giant back:thumbup

Maybe one of these days when I'm not actually working i'll join you.:|

Killer singletrack at P-Ridge

Been riding my Nomad at Pleasanton Ridge , awesome singletracks with berms , jumps , super steep technical sections to a couple of giant vertical drops - have not done the giant drops - yet .:thumbup

OK, everyone else must be totally pooped. I know I was when I got home.

So to recap:

It's becoming more the norm that it is not a BARF MTB ride unless Bap goes down, and down I went on the second to last railroad tie on Cinderella :laughing

Other than that, it was a great ride..... epic if not in distance definitely in attitude.

It started off with Sonny, Roxy and Ryan meeting at 1:30 at Skyline Gate. At about 1:25, I was still in my meeting, and was going to be late, so I called. Sonny and Roxy told me they'd wait since Cody and his buddy were running late.

By the time Budman and I got done with our meeting, it was 2:15 and I still needed to get home, get my bike, and get to Skyline Gate. When I get home,l I get a message from Cody that he left his jacket at home and if I can being one for him. It's raining cats and dogs out there so me, being the nice guy I am, brought him a jacket to wear.

So I get there at just before 3:00 p.m., to an almost empty parking lot. (I love you guys for waiting for me :love) Aside from our vehicles, there just one a pickup truck. As I'm unloading, a chick in total yellow slickdr type rain gear and her soaking wet retriever come off the trail and loads up to take off. She's probably thinking we're totally retarded at this point. We get unloaded and we get ready to roll.

We're on the trail by 3:00, and we already know it's going to be an amazing ride. Like I said earlier, epic is the appropriate word to describe it. We take off on westridge, feeling it out a little bit to make sure it's not going to be too horrible. By the time we go a couple of hundred yards, we're already muddy as hell. Ryan's got the full on rain suit and A* rain gloves on and seems to be toasty and comfy, with his home made mud guards keeping him fairly clean. Sonny and Roxy are wearing their FF Helmets and at least one of them would regret it later.

We toodle along on westridge and realize the conditions aren't bad at all, traction is not really an issue, and we're plugging along at a good pace (for me, I'm slow). We make the climb to the Observatory without any real issues, and start the descent into Redwood Bowl. So far so good, and there's not another soul on the trails. Mind you, thus far, we're getting soaked to the bone, as the rain is coming down steady and hard.

The downhill portions are not so bad, no one has any mishaps, and we take Graham to Dunn. We exit Redwood and take Skyline a short distance on the pavement to Sequoia Bayview. We ride along to Cinderella, and after some discussion opt for Cindy over Chappy. All is good, it's my second time down Cindy and I'm bringing up the rear. The trail is in good shape, with some running water and some minor puddles, but they're easy enough to roll through and grip is good. I'm thinking I'm home free since Ryan game me some pointers on how to roll through the last short section of Cindy. Here's where I eat it. I'm going over the second to last railroad tie, I'm way off the back of the seat, and my arms are pretty much straight because of how far back I got myself, and as my weight goes further back, I add front brake just from my arms pulling, an I end up going over the bars as my front wheel hits the ground past the tie. My right knee slams on the tie itself as my left ankle gets caught up on my pedal. Sonny apparently is the only one who hears me go down, and he comes up the trail to get me. I hobble down, but I'm ok, so we continue riding.

Let me say before going further, that Ryan is a freaking monster. On this day, $2 Hill got a promotion to $10 hill, and Ryan cleaned it up with a couple of bucks to spare. The guy cranked all the way to Sequoia Bayview without skipping a beat. Yeah he was grunting and looked like he was gonna quit, but he cranked up that thing like a freaking billygoat. I hate that guy.

Anyway, after that, we made a slippery bridge crossing. As in, couldn't stand on the bridge without slipping and sliding slippery, ice skating anyone? made our way back to westridge, and called it a day in the parking lot. On the way back we did actually run into 4 people or so, two of tehm, with a pack of dogs, and they all thought we were crazy, but seemed to be laughing with us, not at us (or so I'd like to think).

So the rest of the guys went to get some grub, while I had to get my sorry ass home. Got home just in time to have the sun go down around 5:20.

So, all in all, great ride, with some great people. You guys are tough, and I'm glad you let a pussy like me tag along with you guys (and gal).

Lessons learned today:

Get off the brakes while actually going over an obstacle. Brake in between.

Train some more.

The east bay trails we rode today are totally ridable when wet. No freaking excuses.

Til next time :thumbup

<<snip>>

Til next time :thumbup

Nice write-up John!:thumbup

So who regretted the FFH?

It got a bit stuffy wearing my FF and couldn't breathe a few times and had to stop. Least my head wasn't drenched:p

Fun ride! I would definitely do that again.

Ya'll can't use "it's raining" as an excuse in the future:x:laughing

The DH shock felt nice going down Cinderella--Thanks Mike!:)

that was a good lesson in traction, and also riding gear selection for the elements.

Yeah, full face probably helped keep your head warm too.

It's sunny and reasonably dry today here. Maybe I'll go for a ride.

sideo thurs, very very muddy

Attachments

• Photo0003.jpg
    Photo0003.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 54
You cant tell from the phone pics, but it is pissing down rain, still.

Attachments

• Photo000t.jpg
    Photo000t.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Photo0005.jpg
    Photo0005.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Photo0008.jpg
    Photo0008.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 56
  • Photo0009.jpg
    Photo0009.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 58
When I started mountain biking (and my mountain bike was my sole form of pedal power), I didn't let the rain stop me. While I had a good time on the trails, I quickly grew tired of dealing with the huge piles of sloppy gear after every ride, and my shifting consistently went sour quickly as water and mud made their way into my cables.

On top of that, the mountain bike community generally frowns on riders using the trails in wet weather, as it can cause considerable damage to the trails. Especially since I've never taken the time to do trailwork, making a mess of other people's work doesn't feel right to me.

I had some good times riding certain places in wet weather, but properly cleaning the bike after each ride took more time and effort than I wanted to put into it. High pressure hoses are a no-no, as they force water into undesirable places and promote corrosion. And I quicky grew tired of getting into all the nooks and crannies with a rag and brush - especially considering I was already cold and wet to begin with.

These days, I just take my roadbike out for a spin if the trails look like they might be messy. It's great cardio, and hill climbs build the leg strength that'll make me stronger when I make it back onto the trails. If I ever get the urge though, I still have a couple of sets of fenders floating around my basement somewhere...

When I started mountain biking (and my mountain bike was my sole form of pedal power), I didn't let the rain stop me. While I had a good time on the trails, I quickly grew tired of dealing with the huge piles of sloppy gear after every ride, and my shifting consistently went sour quickly as water and mud made their way into my cables.

On top of that, the mountain bike community generally frowns on riders using the trails in wet weather, as it can cause considerable damage to the trails. Especially since I've never taken the time to do trailwork, making a mess of other people's work doesn't feel right to me.

I had some good times riding certain places in wet weather, but properly cleaning the bike after each ride took more time and effort than I wanted to put into it. High pressure hoses are a no-no, as they force water into undesirable places and promote corrosion. And I quicky grew tired of getting into all the nooks and crannies with a rag and brush - especially considering I was already cold and wet to begin with.

These days, I just take my roadbike out for a spin if the trails look like they might be messy. It's great cardio, and hill climbs build the leg strength that'll make me stronger when I make it back onto the trails. If I ever get the urge though, I still have a couple of sets of fenders floating around my basement somewhere...

:zzz:zzz:zzz:zzz:

:devil I'm still a mountain bike squid, I claim ignorance! :twofinger

BTW pictures don't do justice in how rainy, muddy, mucky, and wet it was at all. Definitely not something I'd plan on doing often but it was fun. Gotta love an adventure every once in awhile

:thumbup

Even though I still lock my rear brake on slide through the switch-backs. (I mean when it's dry)
Oh well, ... Sue Me!!

Hey, anyone know of any single mt. bike chicks that want to meet a broke "little angry bald SuperJew" with good attitude and a couple of sweet bikes? :teeth

Hey, anyone know of any single mt. bike chicks that want to meet a broke "little angry bald SuperJew" with good attitude and a couple of sweet bikes? :teeth

Me and Ryan sometimes see this blonde Clydesdane riding Westridge, but you'd have to actually ride to meet her, she's like sasquatch, you only see her in the woods.

Back