• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

:twofinger

I've got anti-weightweanie fatty tires and new disc brakes ...what'd ya expect?:laughing

2.1s and 585 grams don't sound bad to me!

Is Auburn or Demo our next group ride?:teeth

Dunno if it'll be the next one, but I definitely want to make one happen. Demo will probably pull quite a few locals out of the woodwork too - that could be even bigger than the Annadel turnout.

If someone has a set of communicators, those might help keep the rides a bit more orderly. Just like moto group rides, with leads and sweeps.

You guys ever ride Boggs?.

Haven't tried it... yet. How does it compare to Annadel?

If someone has a set of communicators, those might help keep the rides a bit more orderly. Just like moto group rides, with leads and sweeps.

I've got a motorola radio, I'm sure others have them as well. We just have to pick a channel for the day.

I've got a motorola radio, I'm sure others have them as well. We just have to pick a channel for the day.

Very cool - they seem like they could be really useful on our next big ride.

Just curious John - have you thought about trying a long travel XC Trail bike? A Stumpjumper FSR 120 or a Blur LT might work out really well for ya.

I have considered both, and have looked at the Stumpjumper FSR, would love to look at a Blur, but both of those are mega $$$$ for what basically boils down to a compromise.

The Stumpjumper FSR starts at $2400 for 120 mm of travel. The blur starts at $3400, and has 115 mm of travel in the back. Also, just not sure a 5" bike is what I want. The way I have the xc set up right now, it's basically a 4.5" (110-115) front, 4" (100 mm) rear. I think ultimately I'll be happier with one 4" bike and one 6" bike.

With the AM frame, I get to play around with the travel settings and figure out what works best for all around riding in my neck of the woods (4-5-6" travel adjustable with the same shock).

Haven't tried it... yet. How does it compare to Annadel?

peep the link i put up earlier in this thread

the trails arent quite as rocky, but the higher elevation will wear you out a little faster and theres some decent climbs depending on where you go ... i havent tried SS'ing boggs but i imagine it would be coo

2.1s and 585 grams don't sound bad to me!

Dunno if it'll be the next one, but I definitely want to make one happen. Demo will probably pull quite a few locals out of the woodwork too - that could be even bigger than the Annadel turnout.

We put the Specialized 2.3s on the Jekyll....~ 750-800g?

We'll have to split the groups once they get beyond the 20 headcount.

Those would definitely help.

Westridge (past the Observatory to the Redwood Bowl) > Graham > Dunn (cross skyline blvd and enter JMP) > Sequoia Bayview > Castle Park Trail (cross skyline blvd, pass FAA tower) > Westridge.

How many miles was that loop?

That was a fun ride in the rain:applause

I modified your route a little bit:

Skyline Gate >> West Ridge > Graham > Dunn > Sequoia Bayview > Chapparal> Sunset > Sequoia Bayview > Castle Park Trail > Castle Drive back and forth --I got lost:laughing > went to the park across the street and found the Moon Gate > West Ridge back to Skyline Gate

I made it down Chapparal (slowly) ! It was slippery but doable;)

Hey Roxy, let's ride Friday. I'm off of work and have a meeting at the Chabot Space & Science Center at noon. Any time before or after that would be good.

ive been to boggs in 04 and 05 ... dont think ive made it over there since ... you guys enjoying the snow youre getting over there? Was watching cbs5 news last night and they have that "backyard weather" think they do now and so someone sent in a pic from cobb and it looked like they had a good 2 - 3" of snow!

Heres some pics i took back in 04 when i went to boggs
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=67592

We got 4-5" in the higher elevations. I went for a little MTB ride yesterday and played around in it. It's fun when it's just light powder. Toes and fingers get cold real fast though!

peep the link i put up earlier in this thread

the trails arent quite as rocky, but the higher elevation will wear you out a little faster and theres some decent climbs depending on where you go ... i havent tried SS'ing boggs but i imagine it would be coo

The whole area is on a mountain covered in pines, so the soil is really nice with lots of cool trails that run through the forest. A lot of hardcore XC types love Boggs because the trails are nice, lots of climbing and it's not crowded with people.(there's a big XC race there once a year as well)
I've only been there a few times though...I usually ride my downhill bike and I haven't found any real good (long) downhill runs up there. I'd just ride my hardtail next time I go there.

How many miles was that loop?

That was a fun ride in the rain:applause

I modified your route a little bit:

Skyline Gate >> West Ridge > Graham > Dunn > Sequoia Bayview > Chapparal> Sunset > Sequoia Bayview > Castle Park Trail > Castle Drive back and forth --I got lost:laughing > went to the park across the street and found the Moon Gate > West Ridge back to Skyline Gate

I made it down Chapparal (slowly) ! It was slippery but doable;)

Nice! I did the same loop minus the getting lost part. :)

Here's the trace: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4834575

Hey Ryan, what were your top speeds @ Annadel? I was kinda surprised to see I *only" hit 28 mph on the fireroad at the end of Lawndale (the first long descent). On the second long descent (South Burma), I only managed 22 mph.

Still, 22 mph on singletrack lined with big rocks felt kinda sketchy :)

Hey Ryan, what were your top speeds @ Annadel? I was kinda surprised to see I *only" hit 28 mph on the fireroad at the end of Lawndale (the first long descent). On the second long descent (South Burma), I only managed 22 mph.

Top Speed was 78mph!! :wow :wtf

I guess somehow it got turned on in my bag and recorded the ride home...

Looking at the speed graph it looks like ~30mph was the true top speed. here's the link: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4823764

Do you know of a way to trim the data so it doesn't include the drive?

Do you know of a way to trim the data so it doesn't include the drive?

I actually found a way using Google. It's not easy, and involves exporting the log file, opening it, deleting it after a certain point, then re-importing it. Even then, the totals didn't quite come out right, so I haven't bothered since.

I hit 22 mph on the way back :teeth

Sunny, you should talk to John (Bap)
These wheels might be just what he's looking for, for his new 6inch bike.

Back