• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

So I'm getting ready to pick up the Chameleon frame, but had a quick question. According to SC's sizing chart, I'm right at the overlap between a Small and a Medium.

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/chameleon/index.php?geometry=1

It seems that having an additional inch of wheelbase would be nice (going with a M), in regards to a little more control and less twitchy-ness.

Thoughts?

Go with the Medium, not only will you have a better and longer wheelbase but you will have the longer top tube so you can run a shorter stem comfortably which will make it steer better and get your weight further back as well :cool

Pics? BTW how tall are you, it looks like the Chameleon is sized quite small, I think the Medium is going to be a better fit if you're on the border line. Also you might try out a shorter stem such as a 60-70mm stem and see if you like it.

Last edited:
BTW how tall are you, it looks like the Chameleon is sized quite small, I think the Medium is going to be a better fit if you're on the border line. Also you might try out a shorter stem such as a 60-70mm stem and see if you like it.

Complete bike? (Built) or frame.
Let me know if you need any parts. :teeth

I'm 5'5" on most days, with a short-ish inseam. After doing some research, getting some feedback from here, and speaking with the shop it sounds like the medium was the way to go. Guy said I'd enjoy the extra space and can run a shorter stem, as Yody mentions. Thankfully the top tube slopes!

Just the frame. I just need to wait for a bit after the holidays (go figure) to pick up wheels and the Talas. Harpo, I'll send you a PM as I get closer to decision time. Derailleurs, cassette and other small bits are on the way.

No pics, as it's sitting next to my desk and the camera is at home. Went down there on my lunch break. Oh yeah, it was $100 off MSRP. It has the vertical drops, but it looks like it had been up on the wall for a bit. Score!

Last edited:
Performance is clearing out Prowler ss race tires for $14.99

I'm 5'5" on most days, with a short-ish inseam. After doing some research, getting some feedback from here, and speaking with the shop it sounds like the medium was the way to go. Guy said I'd enjoy the extra space and can run a shorter stem, as Yody mentions. Thankfully the top tube slopes!

Just the frame. I just need to wait for a bit after the holidays (go figure) to pick up wheels and the Talas. Harpo, I'll send you a PM as I get closer to decision time. Derailleurs, cassette and other small bits are on the way.

No pics, as it's sitting next to my desk and the camera is at home. Went down there on my lunch break. Oh yeah, it was $100 off MSRP. It has the vertical drops, but it looks like it had been up on the wall for a bit. Score!

5'5" is really more of a fit for a small but I figured since you said you were right inbetween you were 5'6 or 5'7' Hopefully it fits you right, def throw a short stem on that thing like a 50 or 60. Basically if you don't mind a short stem(I personally think its the only way to go) the only concern will be standover height. A size small mountain bike has such a short wheelbase!

Last edited:
The standover should be fine as the top tube slopes a lot, as it heads to the seat tube.

Santa Cruz lists their S/M overlap at 5'5"-5'6", so right at the overlap.

GYEAH BOYEE I GOT REZIN PADZ 2DAY @ Tha R.E.I. for MA XTR BRAKES n I THNK MAH BREAKS Done SQEEL NO MORE

Are you guys registering for the April sea otter classics already?

from here

SOCHOLIDAY01
OK, stupid question. Is this just regarding entry into an actual event, ...
or is it also $10 off entry just to go in and view the events. Obviously my old, broken, decrepit arse will not be racing. :(

OK, stupid question. Is this just regarding entry into an actual event, ...
or is it also $10 off entry just to go in and view the events. Obviously my old, broken, decrepit arse will not be racing. :(

It's for event/race registration... not entry into the expo area. Of course the expo fee is included with event/race registration. :teeth

i did some night riding the other day......... when it was slightly raining.

holy fuck that was so much fun. my go pro's didnt record anything cause it was way too dark .. i had a helmet mount, i should have put it right next to my light to pickup everything.

i also broke my front fender taking a turn too hard and bottoming out enough to scrape it on my tire lol. the trail has trees all on the top so no rain was coming down.

it wasnt muddy, but just wet.. maxxis swampthings were grippin like mad!

i thought my L&M Seca400 light would be enough.. but shit, I need more light.

i thought my L&M Seca400 light would be enough.. but shit, I need more light.
Yea, there is an awesome light that I use that lights everything up just like it's the sun, ...
They call it DAYLIGHT :twofinger :laughing :laughing LOL

Harpo,

You got any girly bikes? lookin for something for the GF. Probably a hardtail , gotta be tiny shes like 5'2". Nothing crazy shes just trying to get on the trails :p

Back