• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Blechhh @ Nevagals, for a tire with mediocre grip, I never understood why they were heavy, roll so slow, and have weak sidewalls. Lot of people like em so there must be something to them? ...(content snipped)... I'm ready for a bit more front traction tho which leads to me next post

I agree, the sidewalls are pretty thin, but it doesn't seem to negatively affect their performance (at least not under my 250lb arse). Just stay away from the sharp rock gardens (i.e. D-ville).

I hear people say they roll slow, but I don't agree with that. And I wouldn't expect MBA to pick it as one of their top tire picks each year if they rolled slow.

And since when is 600-800g (2.1"-2.35") heavy? How many other 2.3" tires (that actually measure 2.3") weigh 800g or less? That Prowler MX 2.3" you're looking for is 869g and I'm sure it measures narrower than a Nevegal.

If you want more grip, get some Minion DHFs!! :thumbup

Anyone have a WTB Prowler MX 2.3 they wanna sell, used or new?

This tire is one or their new ones. I talked to the WTB rep at the Expo and he said the new tires "should" be in shops by spring. He said shops can place orders now, but won't see them for a few months.

In the meantime, have you tried the Prowler XT or SS? The XT was out first and it was a decent rear tire, if you like to back into corners. Not sure I'd like it as a front tire tho. The SS is a bit more grippy. I have both if you want to try them.

Yeah you're right they're not that heavy, but they sure do feel heavy. Everytime I've ridden them I've had to stop and check to see if I had a flat :wtf Even on cement you can hear them howling from what seems like rolling resistance. Just my experience, I know many many people like them, I've just never seemed to of been able to understand what the hoopla is all about, I tell myself they can't be that bad since they're so popular but they just never feel good to me. I also wouldn't put too much trust into magazines and they're recommendations, they all seem so biased its not even funny.

The MX seems to be available everywhere online? The XT seems like a rear specific so thats outta the question. And yeah I saw the weight but I'd like to have a more aggressive front tire to throw on for more aggressive riding and keep the Mutanoraptor 2.4 on the rear for its high volume and low rolling resistance. I'll leave the 2.4 on the front and rear for my typical more XC oriented rides.

Last edited:
Negative Nancy
When you find a tire you like, put it on your bike, I have; prowlers, mutanos, minions, weirwolfs, and nevegals. Doug has ridden more tires than I can name, It really gets down to personal preference.

Like I prefer to not crash, but the more they stick, the more I push :(

I have a crate full of tires as well, but have been pretty happy with the 2.4's so I've always gone back to those. I like to experiment though and I would like to have a beefier front tire to add to that crate which is why I'm gonna try out that prowler mx. Plus I just tend to like WTB tires, they've done me pretty good :thumbup But yeah you're totally right about tires being a personal thing, not everyone is going to like the same stuff.

Just pulled the trigger got it for $40 shipped, turns out its the Prowler MX UST that is brand new, the regular version has been out for some time. Its a heavy sucker but hopefully it grips well.

Anyone tried the Kenda Excavators?
I like em better than Nevs.

Well, here is my 2 cents.
Different strokes for different folks.
Stan's No Tubes and 2.3 Weirwolf front and 2.24 Mutano Raptor Rear. Definitely the best rolling, gripping, non-flatting combination I have come across for a 145 pound rider on a Nomad. Take from that, what you will.

And as a back plan the Kenda Nevagal isn't too bad in the front, I just don't push it quite as hard as the Weirwolf as I just haven't used it enough to gain the same trust I have with the Weirwolf.

And for DH in my IMHO (especially loose N* silt) there are 2 front tires that work equally as well for my tiny little arse. Maxxis Minion DHF 2.7 and IRC Tamashi DH Pro 2.7. (really tuff to find though) in the rear, the Minion works pretty damn well on all terrain and in all conditions but I've also found that the Nokian NBX 2.5 works even better for me in the N* silt than the Maxxis (Bummer though, almost impossible to come by)

I luv my cheapo Performance tires!

Great tread pattern. Looks just like the Prowler pictures I've seen. Measures an honest 2.2 on the outside lugs. Never had one weigh more than 580 grams and I bought 6 of them on closeout for $12.50 each.(Even Joe would be impressed with my frugality:teeth)
Down to my last two!! But not to worry.. They have been rebranded as the Nashbar in-house tire and are available at the everyday low price of $14.99:party

I have been running them with Slime ultralite tubes, because you won't finish a ride out in my neck of the woods without a thorn or super tiny star thistle puncture during the summertime.
In fall/spring I run 100gm. ultralight tubes. I'm way too smooth (read as: chicken/sissy) to pinch flat the superlight set up.

BUUTTT... My bestest favorite tires since I was a little baby would be kick ass light and thorn resistent if I could just get them to seat on my Mavic tubeless ready wheels with some Stans.

So I offer 1lb of REALLY superb freshly roasted (like 2 days ago) Pacific Bay Coffee. (I suggest the Fair Trade Yergecheffe. Picked by humanely treated happy yergecheffians:nerd) and $10 to anyone who can get them mounted up for me!

That's right folks!!! $10 and a lb. of coffee!!

Last edited:
BTW Garage is empty

Just got my shock back from service. Put fresh oil in my fork. Dusted off and double checked the road bike. Replaced batteries in light on the commuter bike. Fitted fenders for the new Foursie(4 speed coaster brake on what was the fixie. Ubber Cool!)

Everything is ready to go.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE THE RAIN GO AWAY!!!

Otherwise, the garage is void of projects, and I'd be haapy to help anyone with one of theirs.

Great tread pattern. Looks just like the Prowler pictures I've seen. Measures an honest 2.2 on the outside lugs. Never had one weigh more than 580 grams and I bought 6 of them on closeout for $12.50 each.(Even Joe would be impressed with my frugality:teeth)
Down to my last two!! But not to worry.. They have been rebranded as the Nashbar in-house tire and are available at the everyday low price of $14.99:party

I have been running them with Slime ultralite tubes, because you won't finish a ride out in my neck of the woods without a thorn or super tiny star thistle puncture during the summertime.
In fall/spring I run 100gm. ultralight tubes. I'm way too smooth (read as: chicken/sissy) to pinch flat the superlight set up.

BUUTTT... My bestest favorite tires since I was a little baby would be kick ass light and thorn resistent if I could just get them to seat on my Mavic tubeless ready wheels with some Stans.

So I offer 1lb of REALLY superb freshly roasted (like 2 days ago) Pacific Bay Coffee. (I suggest the Fair Trade Yergecheffe. Picked by humanely treated happy yergecheffians:nerd) and $10 to anyone who can get them mounted up for me!

That's right folks!!! $10 and a lb. of coffee!!

I'm not sure how you've been trying to get them to mount so this post might be redundant but this is how I do it;

If its a brand new tire I'll put it on the rim with a tube pumped up high overnight to get the tire to a nomral shape, and get the beads to seat on the wheel.

Then I just take off only one side of the tire and pull out the tube trying to leave the other side still seated in the rim.

Then I hang the wheel on a bike stand and pour 1 1/2 scoops of stans in the tire, making sure to shake the stans up while upside down and then pour it in the cup making sure a bunch of chunky crap comes out, shouldn't just be pure liquid.

Then go back pop that side of the tire back in the wheel.

Now I'm ready to inflate, I take a big fat fluffy car wash sponge and put dishwashing soap on it and slather the entire tire down with suds trying to make sure there is plenty of soapy suds around the bead on both sides of the tire.

Immediately after I try to air up the tire with compressed air at fulll blast around 90PSI or as high as the compressor will go. One thing to make sure is that the air is getting into the tire, if you don't have the little presta adaptor setup right sometimes you might not be getting the correct airflow inside of the wheel. If you have a removable core I'd take it out and shoot air straight into the nipple. I just sit there with the air blowing while trying to gently push down on the tire to make the sides bow out hoping they will bead.

This pretty much has always worked for me, the only time it hasn't is when I didn't have the adaptor on the valve working properlyl and not enough air was being blowin into the tire to make it seat. The suds has been a great trick as well.

Bring em by if you want and I'll give it a try!

Codey's mounting procedure sounds good. I never had to go that far but I have had a Weirwolf that wouldn't mount on an 819. I gave up, and that was when I first tried Nevagals. (Hey it mounted) His full procedure might have worked for me.

I go even further than he does though as far as tire prep. I actually install the tire with a tube and ride it a couple of miles around the house. (Usually too impatient to wait overnight, all though doesn't sound like a bad idea) AT that point if it doesn't mount his idea sounds as good as any other than I've ever heard. BUT, sometimes there is a stubborn section of tire that just wont adhere to the rim and all the air shoots out in that one spot no matter how much you manipulate the tire.

If he might be so kind as to share his method, :teeth I think Doug has a way of pulling out stubborn sections of tire and getting them to stick to the outer rim.

PS. Yo G, send me a link to those tires. Might buy a few for builds, might even try them myself, .... if I ever get to ride an xc bike again :(

Last edited:
No but in this weather they should be great, MotoRaptors are really good in the wet/mud too.
I started using them in mid September and they worked great then too..
Have used them from Coe to Demo and can't complain..'cept finding them at a decent price..Got my current set from....BeyondBikes.....Only took 1.5 weeks:|

Yeah I usually don't have any problems and don't even do the tube trick or riding them with a tubea although they both are good ideas if you're having probs. Only time I've had a problem with them seating is when I wasn't getting full air pressure through the valve. Usuually just throw the tire on, use some suds and it inflates and pops right on with a ping.

I got my last batch of Mutano Raptors 2.24 at Greenfishsports.com for 20 bux a pop. No tax, no shipping on orders over $100. Stuff like that almost never pops up and I can't find anything now. So my proposal is that if anyone comes across any spectacular deals on stuff like that, you should let the rest of know and I will do the same. Mutanos, Weirwolfs, Nevagals, Minions, Yata Yata Yata, Whatever ... Thanx :teeth

I got my last batch of Mutano Raptors 2.24 at Greenfishsports.com for 20 bux a pop. No tax, no shipping on orders over $100. Stuff like that almost never pops up and I can't find anything now. So my proposal is that if anyone comes across any spectacular deals on stuff like that, you should let the rest of know and I will do the same. Mutanos, Weirwolfs, Nevagals, Minions, Yata Yata Yata, Whatever ... Thanx :teeth

I did a group buy type deal for some friends awhile back on the race compound 2.4 Mutano's from ChainReactionCycles. We ordered enough to get free shipping. They were the cheapest I could find.

I did a group buy type deal for some friends awhile back on the race compound 2.4 Mutano's from ChainReactionCycles. We ordered enough to get free shipping. They were the cheapest I could find.
If I can get them (or any quality xc tire) for around $20 - $25 with no tax and no shipping I'm usually good for at least 5 or 6.

Back