• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

My buddy has an 07 Marin East Peak, and its amazing!!! I fell in love with it when he let me ride it... Another buddy has an IronHorse MKIII... also hooked up and amazing!! Im jealous of u guys! hehe..

I have a mountain bike from Target... lol, but am getting really into it..any suggestions on a nice bike for around 500.00?? Me poor kid... Im sure used is the route to take.. but id like a full suspension.. I love the Marin and Ironhorse.. just wondering if anyone knows of a good cheap bike.. =D
Maybe someone else will chime in but I really don't know of any reasonable full susp. mtn bikes for $500..

How tall are you??

does anyone know if Fox Triad Shock is a good shock???

Triad is a very good shock. They come stock on the Specialized Stumpy Elite.

Yeah, didnt think so! :laughing

I am about 5'9" 200 lbs... trying to lose some weight though.. trying to get to about 185
Sorry dude, if you were as small I might have been able to make you a good deal on a 2006 Giant Reign III (not $500 but a good deal none the less) but you too big. Sorry

its a mediocre shock.

And ah yes, once again, the most qualified person to state his ever-so-knowledgeable opinion has done so. And it must be fact because he's been riding soooooo long and has tested out sooooo much equipment.

The Triad is not the best race shock out there and it's not the best large travel shock out there but for most recreational riders on full suspension bikes it's a great shock that gets the job done well. There were some minor "stuck down" issues with a couple of models but they were quickly fixed. I've had at least 10+ pass through my garage and they all worked very well and felt really smooth on the Specialized Stumpy's they were on. All controls worked well and the shock was very adjustable.

But hey, Cody knows everything, about everything bike, .... so therefore, "they must be mediocre." :twofinger

well i pick one up with 3 rides on it and i am happy with it. it has lock out and pro peddle and thats all i wanted it for. i dont do anything crazy so its good for me.

well i pick one up with 3 rides on it and i am happy with it. it has lock out and pro peddle and thats all i wanted it for. i dont do anything crazy so its good for me.

The one on my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR worked well for me to win a couple of XC races - I even beat Cody in one of them!

Coincidentally, he "retired" from XC racing after that one... ;)

Cue the Crank Brothers MALLET.
9002_i_1.jpg

personally i hate the mallets.....HEAVY....bump from the beater in the middle....blah....

i have a pair if you want...they're yours, no charge....PM me

And ah yes, once again, the most qualified person to state his ever-so-knowledgeable opinion has done so. And it must be fact because he's been riding soooooo long and has tested out sooooo much equipment.

The Triad is not the best race shock out there and it's not the best large travel shock out there but for most recreational riders on full suspension bikes it's a great shock that gets the job done well. There were some minor "stuck down" issues with a couple of models but they were quickly fixed. I've had at least 10+ pass through my garage and they all worked very well and felt really smooth on the Specialized Stumpy's they were on. All controls worked well and the shock was very adjustable.

But hey, Cody knows everything, about everything bike, .... so therefore, "they must be mediocre." :twofinger

Exactly, its mediocre, nobody said mediocre was a bad thing. Medicore = moderate. For what you call a "recreational rider" I'm sure a moderate shock would get the job done. As for all that other bullshit you speak on, just gonna ignore all that

Last edited:
The one on my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR worked well for me to win a couple of XC races - I even beat Cody in one of them!

Coincidentally, he "retired" from XC racing after that one... ;)

Maybe you should buy that bike back since you're so slow on that Mojo :p

Exactly, its mediocre, nobody said mediocre was a bad thing. Medicore = moderate. For what you call a "recreational rider" I'm sure a moderate shock would get the job done.

Knew I'd get some shit stirred. :twofinger

It's not mediocre, ... It's a GREAT shock for what it's made for. In my opinion one of the better ones. Just because it doesn't fit how/what you want to ride, ... does not make it a mediocre shock.

A Fox Float R, ... Now that's a mediocre shock, .... by all standards.

Knew I'd get some shit stirred. :twofinger

It's not mediocre, ... It's a GREAT shock for what it's made for. In my opinion one of the better ones. Just because it doesn't fit how/what you want to ride, ... does not make it a mediocre shock.

A Fox Float R, ... Now that's a mediocre shock, .... by all standards.

I'd take a newer Fox Float R over a Triad Any day of the week. In fact I even had one on my Mojo temporarily before putting it back on my girl's Jamis. It actually felt better than the 2010 RP23 Boostvalve shock that came on my mojo stock.

Mike had a Triad, my buddy Ryan has a Triad, and my other buddy Anthony has a Triad. So I have a little experience with them. I'm not sure what there is to argue about since it seems once again that is what you would like to do. Its an average shock, nothing great about it, nothing wrong about it, except for the fact that many of those shocks fail..... but of course since you admittedly SELL many bikes that come with this shock, its soooo GREAT..... :rolleyes:rolleyes

Really it all depends on the application, if the person asking had an older stumpjumper with some old POS fox shock that was a relic and could get a triad that would fit the frame for $40 I'd say yeah go for it, good upgrade.

If somebody was looking to buy an older Stumpjumper and it came with a Triad on it and they just wanted to know if it was a decent shock I'd say yeah its an okay shock (aka mediocre) it will get the job done.

I guess for some reason with your limited Jewish vocabulary you took my meaning of mediocre as something different.

Last edited:
Back